The Fly-Fishing Equivalent of Blashphemy

jasmillo

WFF Supporter
Maybe take a small break from fishing to get the drive back. After a few months off, if chasing 13 inch trout is still of no interest, maybe fishing is not for you anymore. Sometimes you grow out of hobbies.

I have lived in a few places across the US: some with great fishing and some not so great. What I have found is I enjoy figuring out new fisheries almost (almost) as much as I enjoy catching lots of/big fish.

For me, figuring out SRC in the salt over the last 6-7 years since moving to Seattle has been a blast. Salmon off the beaches have been the bonus. However, before coming I was acrually depressed about the fishing opportunities I would have in Western WA based on a short stint I spent here in 2006/2007. It did not have the fishing I experienced when I lived in MT or CO…or even the northeast where I grew up. I gave it a shot and found out I love it. If you truly love fishing, I bet those 12 inch trout will be calling your name after a month or so away from the sport.

Last edited:

N. Metz

Nope. I'm from a dry AF state in a dry AF country. We barely had water, let alone trout. I'm living the dream now.

Also, it cracks me up when folks complain about the supposed lack of quality trout fishing in western WA. I can drive 20 minutes from my home and be on a beautiful river that is as good as some of the best rivers back home. It's amazing.
Well, I'm not in Western Washington Sir.

Whitewater

There's a maturation process to the sporting life. I once, but no longer, need to shoot the biggest buck, dump the most geese, catch the biggest trout. I needed that, and worked for it, but never accomplished it. I ultimately understood it was the pursuit, not the possession. Though I do still want a new rod.

Old guys in the old days told me I'd get there, and now I have it's nice. To you youngsters: remember, history didn't begin when you showed up.
This guy gets it.

wanderingrichard

Was an Air Force brat . We traveled the world. About age 11 I discovered fishing was fun. Moved again and again, but always learned to fish the local waters when I could. Same applies now.
After many years traveling in my own military career and then again as a contractor, I kept that adaptability close to heart . In so doing I've fished some of the most interesting and overlooked places in the world, such as Kuwait Bay, the shores of Port Au Prince, Haiti and Monrovia, Liberia. Japan and Germany each presented their own challenges due to regulations, but overcoming those was part of the challenge. Well, that, plus time constraints. That's the big deciding factor a lot of times.
My point? Learn to adapt to local conditions and enjoy what's there. You might not get another chance to fish there again.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts