BC / US Border - Opening Soon? An update…

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchapman

Are you hoping to fish in BC during the fall season, or sooner?

Unfortunately, it looks like there should be no expectation that the border with BC will be opening soon.

Primarily, the worry is vaccine hesitancy in the US. Perhaps once the rate of full vaccination in Canada reaches 75-80% Canadians will feel protected enough that the border will re-open.

There’s lots of business/recreational traveler pressure mounting, but the federal Liberal government only tends to do things that the voters find popular, so keep your eye on opinion polls about US residents entering Canada for indication of how close Canada is to a border re-opening.

If you’re planning on a trip north of the border, the 21st day of the month is likely a key date for you. The border closure order has always been a one-month order, which is renewed every month. There will likely be no re-opening before August 21, and maybe not even until September 21 (if the order date process stays in place).

Even if the US opens the border from its perspective, the quarantine rules in Canada will continue to be in effect. The good news is that the rules are loosening. Certain “Fully Vaccinated“ preople are now exempt from 14 day quarantine requirements:

However, the bad news is, while the US/Canada border remains closed the above rules don’t matter. From the Canadian government website:

”Foreign nationals (including U.S. citizens) coming to Canada for non-essential reasons will be turned away at the border.”

Last edited:

Buzzy

Thanks for the dose of reality; my sails just luffed.

So a fully vaccinated fly fisherman wishing to meet up with his BC outfitter, helping to keep him in business (his business is off 80%) and bring in a little money to this Canadian province (Airbnb, restaurants) will be "turned away at the border".

Still, keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:

jangles

Kicked
I was in Mexico last week and nobody there is wearing masks . They cant even get the vaccines in the little border town I was in .

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
This is complicating my plans. My departure date from home in Aug. 18. And I need special fishing permit in hand before leaving home. And the permit is not available online and must be mailed via Canadian and U.S. Post, i.e., snail mail. And I'm reluctant to purchase a B.C. fishing license unless I'm reasonably sure I can have my special waters permit in hand before departure.

To go, or not to go, that is the question. Well, not exactly. The real question is will the border be open in time to complete these logistical requirements for licensing and permitting?

dustinchromers

This is complicating my plans. My departure date from home in Aug. 18. And I need special fishing permit in hand before leaving home. And the permit is not available online and must be mailed via Canadian and U.S. Post, i.e., snail mail. And I'm reluctant to purchase a B.C. fishing license unless I'm reasonably sure I can have my special waters permit in hand before departure.

To go, or not to go, that is the question. Well, not exactly. The real question is will the border be open in time to complete these logistical requirements for licensing and permitting?

You should hire a coyote. I think in Canada they call them Manitou.

PV_Premier

I was supposed to go to Fernie on 9/1-6. Was already rescheduled from 2020. Canceled three weeks ago, the writing is on the wall. Rescheduled again to 2022. By then, the border will still be closed, this time due to delta variant or whatever the flavor of the season is by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts