Trip Report Tiger Muskie

A friend from Colorado came to visit and was interested in a fishing trip. We hired Mike Sturza from Lost Creek Fly Shop in Onalaska to take us out for the day on Mayfield Lake. We threw 8” flies all day long with an 11 wt Loomis rod. As luck would have it, my friend hooked and landed a 36” Muskie at the first stop of the day. The fish followed the fly and opened its mouth several times before finally eating the fly right in front of the boat. We had lots of Muskies follow the fly back to the boat during the day but only one more that actually grabbed the fly. That one came up out of the weedbed and grabbed it but didn’t hook up.

653F1877-8CEA-4513-AEC1-BE98535DF02F.jpeg

Music

I watched an In-Fisherman episode many years ago where they would run the fly in a figure eight right at the boat to get those chin ticklers to bite. Never had an opportunity to try it myself but it worked on TV.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
I watched an In-Fisherman episode many years ago where they would run the fly in a figure eight right at the boat to get those chin ticklers to bite. Never had an opportunity to try it myself but it worked on TV.
That doesn't work as well out here due to our ultra clear water....then again, several years ago, I got several on the oval (better than an 8 with bigger fish) at the boat...

kamishak steve

That doesn't work as well out here due to our ultra clear water....then again, several years ago, I got several on the oval (better than an 8 with bigger fish) at the boat...
I've had the exact same experience. I suspect those midwest guys use the figure 8 to make sure a fish isn't following that they couldn't otherwise see. Our waters are so clear, if a fish is following, you see it come from a ways away, watch it for a good portion of the retrieve, shit pants, then pull fly away, at least typically

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Is the figure 8 or oval technique to give the fish a full side profile view of the fly?
yeah. I still do it if I run out of real estate but I haven't stuck a fish doing it in several years. Part of it may be that I'm not quite as patient as I should be because thinking back, it was often those fish that would follow in, appear to trail off when they get close to the boat, then I'd go through multiple ovals and they'd come up out of nowhere and smash it.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts