Packable float tube

newfydog

The Scadden Tube is claimed to be light: scadden tube 2.JPG

But the actual weight without the seat is more like 6.5 lbs. I asked Dave Scadden about that and he feigned surprise, said he was sure the weighed it on certified postage scale. Really nice tube, weighs the same hiking in or out, but not as light as claimed.

WLLLC

Thanks for sharing the idea on the bag pump. It is very light and compact, and I have an "Instaflator" brand bag pump that is a thin, cylindrical plastic bag about 7 feet long and 8" diameter that is open at one end for filling in a light breeze. The other end of the cylindrical bag tapers to a filling valve that attaches to the inflation valve of the float tube bladder. I roll up the open end after the breeze fills the bag, and it sends air through the valve into the bladder. It is quite cumbersome to use, takes 6 bags of air and about 10 minutes to mostly fill the main bladder. It does not achieve full, tight inflation (not enough pressure) that would give optimal performance of a float tube on the water, and I worry about its durability in the wilderness. One hole in the thin plastic bag and it's not functional. It weighs 1.7 oz vs 3.4 oz for a double action inflation pump, but the double action pump has proven durability and the capability to fully, tightly fill a main bladder in just over 5 minutes. With the better performance and durability of the double action hand pump, I've chosen it as my go to pump for float tubes over a bag pump on multi-day wilderness hikes to fish mountain lakes for the past 20 years.

WLLLC

As Freestone noted earlier it's not only weight that is critical, but bulk of the deflated float tube. For even a weekend trip to the wilderness, one has to fit food, clothing, tent, sleeping bag, etc, plus an ultralight float tube with waders, fins, water shoes, pump, in a backpack. A bulky float tube doesn't leave enough room for other gear. The Scadden Aircraft tube looks far too bulky for a hike in float tube (especially with that large seat), and even the 7 to 8 lb Outcast Trinity pushes the limit at a 27 liter pack volume filling half of most multi-day backpacks.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Salmo, who make the fins and tube in your post? They don't quite look like the Wilderness Lite.
Scott Higashi. He used to post here on WFF. He was an avid hike-in lake fisherman and wanted a lighter float tube and fins. He was an engineer, so he engineered these designs and manufactured them at home. Mine is number 008. He already had a job, so he offered the design free who any manufacturer who would make and sell them. He got no takers. Sadly he fell ill and died, I think it was in 2014.

It's scary light (to me) and has no pockets, so you need to carry some kinds of gear bag for fly boxes and leader. And I've never tried to carry an extra rod; there isn't any place to put it.

WLLLC

I prefer my float tube to be fully, tightly inflated for maximum buoyancy which eliminates drag to maximize paddling efficiency and maneuverability, and I find I just can't achieve that either by mouth or without quickly draining the battery of an electric pump. I always carry a 3.4 oz hand pump for inflation or topping off. It also provides better reliability for multi-day hikes several miles from the trail head to fish wilderness lakes. Just my personal preference.

newfydog

I prefer my float tube to be fully, tightly inflated for maximum buoyancy..., and I find I just can't achieve that either by mouth or without quickly draining the battery of an electric pump.
You just don't blow hard enough. I'm a dedicated blow hard.
The thermarest pump with lithium batteries will fill my tube over a dozen times, and three breaths top it off, and with some eye bulging I get good pressure.

Here's something for the thread: in an undisclosed location, great brook trout dry action, I took this photo from my tube. Not often you get to film a mt. goat from the water! high lake goat.JPG
high lake 2.JPG

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Thanks for sharing the idea on the bag pump. It is very light and compact, and I have an "Instaflator" brand bag pump that is a thin, cylindrical plastic bag about 7 feet long and 8" diameter that is open at one end for filling in a light breeze. The other end of the cylindrical bag tapers to a filling valve that attaches to the inflation valve of the float tube bladder. I roll up the open end after the breeze fills the bag, and it sends air through the valve into the bladder. It is quite cumbersome to use, takes 6 bags of air and about 10 minutes to mostly fill the main bladder. It does not achieve full, tight inflation (not enough pressure) that would give optimal performance of a float tube on the water, and I worry about its durability in the wilderness. One hole in the thin plastic bag and it's not functional. It weighs 1.7 oz vs 3.4 oz for a double action inflation pump, but the double action pump has proven durability and the capability to fully, tightly fill a main bladder in just over 5 minutes. With the better performance and durability of the double action hand pump, I've chosen it as my go to pump for float tubes over a bag pump on multi-day wilderness hikes to fish mountain lakes for the past 20 years.
Glad to see you in the forum!
Bernoulli Bag pumps are high volume-low pressure. I tried an Instaflator with my Outcast Trinity and it failed the first time I used it trying to get enough pressure because the Trinity did not perform well with low pressure at all. I made a 5'-6' replacement bag from vacuum food sealer roll and the nozzle from the Instaflator. It was tough as nails. I recall it took 3 fillings (2 + some) of the bag with air to do each of the two bladders, plus the seat, but the pressure was still too low. The very small double action (exercise ball?) hand pump I got from WL with my BP Pro (to replace the 7 lb Trinity) works very nicely.

I do admit though that I did not carry my BP Pro into an area with a very high density of lakes that are just minutes apart because the friends I was with (who weren't using tubes) wanted to fly fish multiple lakes in one day, and the time and effort to deflate - inflate - deflate (repeat...) the BP Pro seemed like it would be excessive. So I took a spinning reel, a couple of lures, and a casting bubble instead, that worked quite nicely.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
For those seeking an option for those wanting an easier method for deflation/inflation of ultralight float tubes, here is something to consider. A customer recently contacted us to inquire about the compatibility of a lightweight rechargeable lithium battery powered pump with Wilderness Lite ultralight float tubes. We ordered some to do an assessment, and I thought the results might be of interest, particularly because they function both as an inflation pump and as a vacuum pump.
The hand pump works fine for inflation. Too bad it wasn't designed with an intake port that the nozzle can be attached to.

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
The Scadden Tube is claimed to be light: View attachment 289753

But the actual weight without the seat is more like 6.5 lbs. I asked Dave Scadden about that and he feigned surprise, said he was sure the weighed it on certified postage scale. Really nice tube, weighs the same hiking in or out, but not as light as claimed.
I was thinking about buying one of those to replace a Creek Co tube that failed within the "warranty" I use(d) for lakes I could drive to because CCo won't respond to my info-warranty request. I was amazed a tube that size with an inflatable seat cushion could weigh the same as my BP Pro. As it is Scadden, I'm not surprised at nearly double the claimed weight.

SquatchinSince86

I was thinking about buying one of those to replace a Creek Co tube that failed within the "warranty" I use(d) for lakes I could drive to because CCo won't respond to my info-warranty request. I was amazed a tube that size with an inflatable seat cushion could weigh the same as my BP Pro. As it is Scadden, I'm not surprised at nearly double the claimed weight.
I believe Creek Company folded. Maybe someone else can confirm this

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
I believe Creek Company folded. Maybe someone else can confirm this
They were non-responsive (email returned from their mail provider) over a couple of month period last summer when one of my bladder valves began leaking. Later they began sending "sale" flyer emails out weekly for Black Friday and Christmas. I replied to each of their emails with the same question about how to repair-replace the valve-bladder under warranty with my receipt and never got a response. I think I got another email "summer sale" flyer from them in the spring and got no response to my reply. BUYER BEWARE!

Haggis57

Google Maps shows the street address as Permanently Closed! Maybe they are just using the website to sell off remaining stock.

1628045706931.png

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts