Trip Report Cedar...?

The Cedar is a SOB for me. Tough fishin', slick rocks. Usually brave the Landsburg parking lot- no one wants anything in my POS car... and walk until I find decent access. Is it just me or is it a really tough nut of a river to crack?

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
Grab a euro rod and some size 14 frenchies. You'll catch fish until you're bored.

Before the hotspot popo come after me, this is not a secret and it's also not how you catch the trophy fish (unless you're very lucky).

(BigDave)

I have had better luck in previous years. That flooding a couple of years back really did a number on it.

spcoldsmoke

Agreed on frenchies. Tag nymphs also do well. Unlike the Rocky Mountains, there isn't a fish behind every rock. Only certain water types hold fish well. Once you figure that out, you'll know what to look for and where to spend your time.

spcoldsmoke

I have had better luck in previous years. That flooding a couple of years back really did a number on it.
This is my 5th season on the Cedar. While my nymphing skill has improved dramatically over that time, my encounters with large fish have gone down (while overall catch rate is up). I agree with the sentiment here, things have changed on that river and not for the better.

High&NeverDry

I fished the Cedar every morning this week before work, besides today. A few shy nibbles but nothing hit. Havent caught much of anything on it in the last two years. Last decent one there....At least I was able to go and start my days right...

Attachments

• 20190706_172115.jpg
    20190706_172115.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76

Elliott5400

Been fishing horrible for me this season. I gave up and as soon as I went to other fisheries I started catching more fish.

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
The Cedar seems fine to me, this year. I'm catching around 3-5 decent fish, per hour, which is consistent with last year. Perhaps the spots you folks are targeting have been fished out or you need a change in tactics.

Ive been told, by land owners, that fishing pressure has increased noticeably since COVID started. It's possible everyone is doing the same thing, so trying something different might be the key to success.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
The Cedar is crazy low, at the moment. In the three seasons I've fished it, I've never seen it this low. On the weekend, I could smell dead fish in a couple of spots. I didn't see any though.

I'm fishing elsewhere for the time being. However, if you're less morally conflicted, the low water level has made fishing somewhat more predictable; all the fish are concentrated in the deep and highly oxygenated pools.

Stew McLeod

aka BigMac
The Cedar is crazy low, at the moment. In the three seasons I've fished it, I've never seen it this low. On the weekend, I could smell dead fish in a couple of spots. I didn't see any though.

I'm fishing elsewhere for the time being. However, if you're less morally conflicted, the low water level has made fishing somewhat more predictable; all the fish are concentrated in the deep and highly oxygenated pools.
FYI - Looking back in my logs (going back to 2006 on the Cedar) the current flow levels are not out of the norm.

Stew

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts