What do you carry your camera in?

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
I carry my camera in a generic run of the mill bag. It fits my 3 lenses and accessories fine, and when I'm just carrying it around with the family or something like that it's perfectly functional. Nothing special, but it works.

Here's the kicker - the bag isn't water proof. It has a "shield" that folds out but it's thin nylon that I wouldn't trust to do any good in the PNW. So I usually end up stuffing the camera bag into a dry bag when I'm on the raft (along with anything else that needs to stay dry) or I put just the camera and maybe an extra lens into a small dry bag that then goes in my pack/vest if I'm wading or hiking in to a spot.

That said, when it's in the small dry bag, there's no protection from bumps and bangs. And when it's in the big dry bag, I have to get the bag out of the bag to get the camera out, which means sometimes I'm missing moments because of how long it takes to get access to the camera.

Question is: for those of you out there the tote your camera along with you, how do you pack your camera? Is there a good bag that's resistant to the elements that also has some padding in it?

Spg

I haven't found a quick access, waterproof, properly protective bag ever. It's a pick two situation.

I did see a good idea recently though on the troutbitten blog. A big heavy duty zip lock is waterproof and faster than a dry bag, and can slip inside a standard camera bag. Thus protected and waterproof and fairly quick access. The downside is you have to be OK with the padded bag getting wet.

I just got a waterproof camera for fishing carry, which sits in a neoprene cozy on my belt (not for protection, just for easy access).

Another option might be a small waterproof sling. Cut some foam sheets to line the inside and you might have an easy access, waterproof bag with protection. Adhesive velcro might keep everything in place.

creekx

Director of Stoke
I am currently using a Fishpond Delta sling to carry fishing stuff and my mirrorless camera. I lined the bottom and side with 3/8" thick, dense foam. The foam offers some protection and gives the compartment some structure. I put the camera in a small, roll-top Osprey drybag. It is a light fabric dry bag. If I pack an extra lens it goes in a ziplock bag. Have yet to find a good, waterproof bag option (sling, backpack, or lumbar) that is good for both fishing and photography - at any price.

Another tip: Throw away your camera strap and get a Peak Design Cuff. Far less bulk than a full strap and easier to stuff in a drybag. Secure and also less likely to end up wet and invite water into your bag.

1626361173814.png

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
Have yet to find a good, waterproof bag option (sling, backpack, or lumbar) that is good for both fishing and photography - at any price.

Another tip: Throw away your camera strap and get a Peak Design Cuff. Far less bulk than a full strap and easier to stuff in a drybag. Secure and also less likely to end up wet and invite water into your bag.
Thanks. That's kind of what got me asking - looking around I couldn't find anything that looked like it was designed for cameras that would work. Was thinking about one of fishponds waterproof lumbars, which I'd need to do something similar to what you're doing (add padding), but that's a lot of $ to spend on something that still needs mods to get dialed in.

I like the peak design cuff idea - thanks.

cdnred

Have you given any thoughts to just customizing a dry box (sized to suit) with some pre cut foam to keep things separated inside for protection..? They're waterproof, offer protection, easy access and are well organized to find things quickly. Pelican makes a variety of sizes that aren't all that expensive depending on what size you'd need. You might even be able to pick up a good one thru the classifieds..

Perhaps if you limit yourself to just what you need (this would be more for when you go out on the water) when you head out and not take everything, you can cut down on size. You could even just carry it in a day pack if that makes it easier for you..

Last edited:

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
Have you given any thoughts to just customizing a dry box (sized to suit) with some pre cut foam to keep things separated inside for protection..? They're waterproof, offer protection, easy access and are well organized to find things quickly. Pelican makes a variety of sizes that aren't all that expensive depending on what size you'd need. You might even be able to pick up a good thru the classifieds..

Perhaps if you limit yourself to just what you need (this would be more for when you go out on the water) when you head out and not take everything, you can cut down on size. You could even just carry it in a day pack if that makes it easier for you..

Pelican case is a good idea - thanks.
Definitely a good solution for in the raft.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
Looking at my lowepro bag a little closer, the inside padded section comes out. There's extra fabric and a draw string to close off the top.

Thinking I can get a waterproof sling or something like that for wading, and just stick this in that bag, and pelican case for raft.

I see you can buy these padded inner bags as stand alone options, in case anyone is interested.

20210715_203117.jpg

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon21

I like slingpacks. I am also a big fan of thick ziplocks for everything. I once bought a big collection of neoprene sleeves and bags and use them for padding on everything. Something like 50-70 pieces. Perfect for everything that needs cushion.
This is about 1/3 of the lot. Full neoprene bags are ideal.

Screenshot_2021-07-15-23-16-56.png

Nick Clayton

WFF Premium
Originally I used a pelican case for my cameras out in boats, and it works great. Waterproof and plenty of protection. But I found it bulky, and awkward not only to lug around but to access when needed. Now days I keep two cameras and a few lenses in simple padded cases, and keep all that inside an Orvis waterproof backpack. Ive used this setup for a couple years now and really like it. This bag comes with me every day on the boat, either out here in Westport or on the sound. The bag has held up great, it's totally waterproof, and the padded cases inside provide plenty of protection. I toss this bag around from my truck to the boats every day with zero worry.

Works for me.

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
I use a Seattle Sports Omni Dry Bag. It's nylon coated with urethane. I'd describe it as a 100% waterproof lite duty dry bag, as opposed to the heavy duty dry bags made from PVC raft material.

For protection, wrap extra lens & flash with some kind of soft absorbent cloth (like a sham-wow) as you can use it wipe away any water that gets on the camera when in the field. Neoprene & foam padding is great but it only serves one purpose. In the field stuff that does "double duty" is the way to go.

The dry bag goes inside a daypack. The daypack gives some extra protection, doesn't look like a "steal me" camera bag and is easy to access.

ALWAYS reseal the dry bag after putting the camera back in it. This has saved the camera several times over the years when the unexpected happens. I once picked up the dry bag with the camera inside floating across the lake; it was a head shaker moment but the camera was fine :)

Speaking of unexpected, has anyone that owns a Pelican/hard case ever NOT picked up at least once when it wasn't latched and spilled everything?

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
Speaking of unexpected, has anyone that owns a Pelican/hard case ever NOT picked up at least once when it wasn't latched and spilled everything?
I was talking to my buddy about the pelican cases (he has a bunch). He mentioned the same thing. Gets distracted and forgets it isn't latch and has a yard sale...

Went with a waterproof sling pack and the padded case that comes in my normal lowepro camera bag (picture above). I've been wanting to give a sling pack a try for a while and this gives me some flexibility. Kind of a combo of what @Nick Clayton and @Gyrfalcon21 do. So far, I'm liking it.

Note: anybody else a bit weirded out by the simms dry creek z sling pack toothless zipper? It locks into place really well when fully closed, which I like (and is apparently self healing), but it's taking some getting used to.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts