Areas 9 and 10 open tomorrow

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I was putting Buzz Bombs under the category of jigs. Really interesting to see Steelhead jigs working in the Sound

Only saw the steelhead jig thing used once, but the guy was killing pinks using it.
He was fishing it under a slip bobber. He had about a 2’ leader with his bobber stop set about 3’ above the bobber, so fishing a total of about 5’ deep.
He would cast it out and let it settle, then reel in a bit and let it settle again. All the hookups came on the drop and the fish were there when he started to reel again. I saw him catch at least eight fish using that technique. I makes a lot of sense since pinks like that jiggy motion.
Looked like he was using a 1/8 Oz pink steelhead jig.
SF

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Only saw the steelhead jig thing used once, but the guy was killing pinks using it.
He was fishing it under a slip bobber. He had about a 2’ leader with his bobber stop set about 3’ above the bobber, so fishing a total of about 5’ deep.
He would cast it out and let it settle, then reel in a bit and let it settle again. All the hookups came on the drop and the fish were there when he started to reel again. I saw him catch at least eight fish using that technique. I makes a lot of sense since pinks like that jiggy motion.
Looked like he was using a 1/8 Oz pink steelhead jig.
SF
You can basically do this same thing without a bobber too, of course.

Stonefish

You can basically do this same thing without a bobber too, of course.

Yep, twitching would work as well.
I think the bobber was working well for him because it was keeping him constantly in the same zone where the fish were, cast after cast.
SF

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
Yep, twitching would work as well.
I think the bobber was working well for him because it was keeping him constantly in the same zone where the fish were, cast after cast.
SF

Now if only someone would invent a kind of line that floats, then you could do all this without a bobber..... oh, wait a minute.... ;)

johnnyboy

Much to my surprise another @g_smolt and @Nick Clayton endorsed fly works. Even if I did tie the wrong length using the wrong material. Happy humping everyone.

View attachment 289649
Interesting. Similar situation in the humped specimen I caught last Sunday. Looks like there is a healthy abundance of young herring around.

Attachments

• PXL_20210719_024852515.jpg
    PXL_20210719_024852515.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Stonefish

Now if only someone would invent a kind of line that floats, then you could do all this without a bobber..... oh, wait a minute.... ;)

Still wouldn’t be the same even though braid floats and braid isn’t going to float a 1/8 Oz jig. ;)
SF

Dizane

Coast to Coast
Quotas still looking in decent shape for the time being. I ended up fishing A10 last Sunday morning. 1 smallish resident coho kept and 1 chinook lost. Bite died about an hour, hour and a half into the big outgoing tide. Chinook jumped 5 times, included 3 "porpoise" jumps in a row as it ran right towards the boat. After surviving that I figured it was mine but 1 small headshake as it got closer to the boat and it was gone. Oh well. The coho's stomach was full of small amphipods.

I also jigged up a couple herring that had to be 8 inches or so. They could have been mistaken for smallish stocker trout. Funny to see that after all the pictures of small herring.

speedbird49

Quotas still looking in decent shape for the time being. I ended up fishing A10 last Sunday morning. 1 smallish resident coho kept and 1 chinook lost. Bite died about an hour, hour and a half into the big outgoing tide. Chinook jumped 5 times, included 3 "porpoise" jumps in a row as it ran right towards the boat. After surviving that I figured it was mine but 1 small headshake as it got closer to the boat and it was gone. Oh well. The coho's stomach was full of small amphipods.

I also jigged up a couple herring that had to be 8 inches or so. They could have been mistaken for smallish stocker trout. Funny to see that after all the pictures of small herring.
I hear they are tasty

NRC

WFF Supporter
Anyone hitting the area 9 beaches tomorrow? I’m going around and around trying to decide whether to dash over to a close by point in area 11 for pinks or drive an hour to my favorite floating bridge for coho. Course there’s no point choosing between pink and coho if I go to a beach where I could catch both.

help. Too many choices.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts