Areas 9 and 10 open tomorrow

speedbird49

I’d like October back.
MA 9 used to be open year round.
It went to four months for the summer.
That then got pared back by two weeks to July 16th.
It is now 10 weeks.....with no winter blackmouth.
October, that’s my pipe dream.
SF
Was there fish year round? I know the Skykomish gets Spring run Chinooks, most of the rivers get Summer runs, and then a few (Nooksack comes to mind) get Fall run. What other fish was there? (Besides the Blackmouth of course)

Smalma

The biggest driver in the truncated coho fishing opportunities in MA 9 is the over-fished status of the Snohomish wild coho. Historically that population was one of the largest in the Southern US; twice in the early part of this century the wild Snohomish escapement exceeded a 1/4 million. Now it is a struggle to get 40,000 fish back to the spawning grounds. If managers are not successful in getting those escapements up another ESA listing maybe coming.

Question to you beach fishers would you trade that June/early July resident opportunity for sometime on the water in October (though it is likely that would wild release at least until escapements improve)? Shifting impacts.

BTW - It appears to me that there are all ready fishable numbers of pinks in MA 9 and 10 for those that wish to target them. Some micro fish (residents?) with most in the 4 to 5 # range with the odd larger fish.

Curt

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Question to you beach fishers would you trade that June/early July resident opportunity for sometime on the water in October (though it is likely that would wild release at least until escapements improve)? Shifting impacts.
Curt

Yes, especially June. I’d trade all of June in a heartbeat for October. I would not care if October was all wild coho release until or if escapement improved. I probably won’t harvest much anyway even if wild retention was allowed.
I can’t speak for others but I’d just like the opportunity in my case to beach fish for coho again in October in MA 9.
SF

Last edited:

Bagman

The biggest driver in the truncated coho fishing opportunities in MA 9 is the over-fished status of the Snohomish wild coho. Historically that population was one of the largest in the Southern US; twice in the early part of this century the wild Snohomish escapement exceeded a 1/4 million. Now it is a struggle to get 40,000 fish back to the spawning grounds. If managers are not successful in getting those escapements up another ESA listing maybe coming.

BTW - It appears to me that there are all ready fishable numbers of pinks in MA 9 and 10 for those that wish to target them. Some micro fish (residents?) with most in the 4 to 5 # range with the odd larger fish.

Curt
I live right near MA’s 9 and 10 I have only been out 3 morning’s and I would have really enjoyed a 4-5lb fish. I only fish early mornings for about 3-4 hours, so I guess I’m just not putting in the time. So far I’ve not give a single fish a stone shampoo.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
It's been pretty sad watching the snohomish system coho returns. I only started salmon fishing in 2013 when I could drive- I remember seeing runs projected at over 200,000 fish! And to some of y'all, I bet that number looked depressing!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts