Preferred Curved Emerger Hooks?

mcswny

Hey All,

I was wondering if you had a preferred BL curved scud/emerger hook?

I've been tying my Film Critics on Daichi 1130s and theyre great hooks, but I'm looking for something thats BL.
I was wondering if people had opinions (of course you do)

I was looking at these

They have the right shape, but compared to the 1130s, theyre a medium wire and standard length (vs the 1130s between a fine wire and 1x short). Otherwise they have they look great and are relatively cheap.

Anyone know if theres a comp style 1x short emerger scud hook out there?

jaredoconnor

WFF Supporter
I use Daichi 1120. I like Daiichi, because the sizing is consistent across all models. I don't like fine hooks and prefer them to be standard strength or 1-2x strong, even for dries. I have found that it makes no appreciable difference in floatation.

tkww

I can tell you not to use TMC 2488 hooks. The "h" version--2488h--is fine for wet work, and in fact I prefer it for the straight eye over the the 2457 (down eye). But the non-h version of the 2488 straightens out when fighting fish. And I'm not even talking hogs or trophies. Maybe I had a bad batch, but I'll never trust a 1xF "scud" hook again.

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
What effect are you trying to achieve? In/under water black nickel reflects about the same as bronze or nickel plating.

I used to be a spinner fishing junky :)

mcswny

What effect are you trying to achieve? In/under water black nickel reflects about the same as bronze or nickel plating.

I used to be a spinner fishing junky :)
I use the daichi 1130s for emerger patterns (specifically Film Critics). I fish them in the film up top. They’re black nickel, 1x short and fine wire. All things considered, I’m perfectly happy with them, but as a tyer, I’m always looking elsewhere. Mostly, I’m looking for barbless because it’s annoying pinching barbs on size 20 flies (I know... it’s not THAT bad). But also looking at hooks like fire hole outdoors, they’re a bit cheaper. I know people love or hate Firehole and have had them straighten out, but I tie all my nymphs on them and have never had an issue.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts