Maps (best for finding streams/lakes in SW Washington?

Sagebrush

I dont know if you can do this in the free version, but you can download the entire state of the Gaia Topo onto your phone for offline use. You can also create tracks to follow, or record your driving/walking and place pictures in waypoints. I place waypoints in lakes and rivers to remind me of great little "honey holes". That being said, I still carry a paper map in the car just in case something happens with the phone.

z-2braids

Does the gazateer tell you which forest/logging roads have gates?
I've been wondering this since google maps doesn't seem to recognize a lot of roads that I frequent

troutangler

Gazatteer shows only the primary roads.
In Gifford/Pinchot many roads are getting overgrown and not maintained. Worst issue is not every
road has a number sign.
Oh, and gates ...forget about it.

Old Man

A very Old Man
You need somebody to lead you around by your hand. That's what exploring is all about. Look up someplace on a map and go check it out. Most Skinny water is colored in blue. Just follow the squiggly lines. Nothing tells you where the gates are at or if they are open or closed. Some gates are shown but most are not, PLus with this fire season being what it is are the woods really open..

In the Fishing pamphlet they list the lakes that are open. All you have to do locate it on a map and go look for it. Can't be any more simpler than that. I have a Washington State Atlas. It is dog eared from being used so much. And that's all folks.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
You need somebody to lead you around by your hand. That's what exploring is all about. Look up someplace on a map and go check it out. Most Skinny water is colored in blue. Just follow the squiggly lines. Nothing tells you where the gates are at or if they are open or closed. Some gates are shown but most are not, PLus with this fire season being what it is are the woods really open..

In the Fishing pamphlet they list the lakes that are open. All you have to do locate it on a map and go look for it. Can't be any more simpler than that. I have a Washington State Atlas. It is dog eared from being used so much. And that's all folks.

OMJ should put his atlas out for auction to the higher bidder.

Gazetteers might not show all the roads, gates etc but that is what you have two legs for and a vehicle to get there.
SF

Rob Allen

I know a great little stream in Southwest Washington full of native cutthroat that probably hasn't been fished since the last time I was there 7 years ago and that's just a short two mile stretch I bet the rest of it hasn't seen an angler in decades.

z-2braids

Haha what Old Man? I’m not sure if that was directed at me but I was only curious if the gazateer had gates marked… not a “hand hold”. Maybe save the sass for someone is asking for a good fishing spot or something…

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts