BIIIX 8.5’ 5wt…who here?

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I have a BIIIX 9ft, not 8.5. It's a delight to cast dries and small flies with it. For bigger heavier streamers, something faster like a Radian would be better suited.

Swimmy

Same here. I have the 9'. I also have this rod in a 6 wt but the 5 wt is my favorite dry fly rod I own.

I can throw everything from large dries (hoppers, chubbies, salmon flies) to blue wings and pmd's.

Would not recommend for a streamer rod or double nymph rig.

David Loy

Senior Moment
I don’t have this rod, but I’ll lob something into the fire. A well designed 8’6” 5wt graphite rod is a near perfect casting tool. I like 9’ too but the 8’6” rods I’ve had were a particular joy to cast.
And someone’s going to argue “but a longer rod …. out of a boat, or for mending”. That’s true enough, but not as sweet IMO.

Tim Ihle

I don’t have this rod, but I’ll lob something into the fire. A well designed 8’6” 5wt graphite rod is a near perfect casting tool. I like 9’ too but the 8’6” rods I’ve had were a particular joy to cast.
And someone’s going to argue “but a longer rod …. out of a boat, or for mending”. That’s true enough, but not as sweet IMO.
I would agree. I have several 9’ rods and none are as nice to cast and seem appropriate for trout as the 8.5’ length.

Richard E

5 weight and below, I agree with you...above 5 weight, no. For me 8'6" is a better length (for many reasons) for casting dries, and 5 weight and below are the weights where casting dries is more likely.

Just opinion. :)

I have a nine foot 5wt B3x and it’s a sweet rod. I think it’s an all purpose rod. Mine is used for indicator fishing in lakes, dry flies, wets, and woolly buggers to size 6. It seems to get more use than any of my other fly rods. My NRX LT is used more for dry flies and the NRX get used for sinking lines, deep indicators, and larger buggers. Fit and finish are exceptional. Buy that rod!

Tim Ihle

Tho the 9’ B3 is sweet I have no interest in it and am looking for the hard to find 8.5’ if one were to come along. I really don’t need another trout rod but would consider one if it came along. Really what I’d like is the 8.5’ WT.

Richard E

I have a nine foot 5wt B3x and it’s a sweet rod. I think it’s an all purpose rod. Mine is used for indicator fishing in lakes, dry flies, wets, and woolly buggers to size 6. It seems to get more use than any of my other fly rods. My NRX LT is used more for dry flies and the NRX get used for sinking lines, deep indicators, and larger buggers. Fit and finish are exceptional. Buy that rod!

To me the BIIIx was a huge improvement over the BIIx. The BIIx was for too delicate and too 'tippy' (moderate) an action for me and didn't fit my casting style and fishing needs.

Last edited:

dragless

Winston seems to do better at 8 1/2 and 8’ feet then 9’ ….I don’t know why they can’t make the 9 footers as well as the slightly shorter rods, but it has been true for a long time, and it’s still the same with the Air rods..

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts