Hebgen "gulpers" 7/20

dbk

I'm in West Yellowstone for 10 days mostly fishing moving water but went out early this morning to Hebgen hoping for bugs and rising fish.. Fished the Madison Arm and at one point saw trico funs and spinners along with callibaetis duns and spinners all on the water near my pram..lots of "gulpers" were taking advantage of this until around 11 when the wind picked up and shut things down.

But for about 3 hours the gulpers were feeding voraciously.. for what it's worth it's always been more effective for me to ignore the surface eats and target the gulpers by offering them something subsurface as they tend not to be as selective 3ft below the surface as opposed to in or on it.. Water was shallow (2-4ft) and weedy so I fished a double nymph set up under a NZ strike indicator with the bottom fly suspended just off the bottom.. the fish were feefing on the move and had to move with them but casting near gulping fish usually resulted in an eat.. landed a dozen or so which was less than half of the fish that I hooked up with.. reminded of fishing the far south end of Amber.. fish were mostly 14-17" and full of fight.. a few photos from the morning.. 20210720_115322.jpg 20210720_113415.jpg 20210720_090816.jpg 20210720_094814.jpg

Reeltrout

Nice fishing! I have always wanted to fish this lake for the famous gulpers. Ridiculous rental car rates forced me to cut my trip short this week in Bozeman.

JS

Damn, I’m jealous! That’s about the most fun a guy can have fishing Stillwater. I still have daydreams about an absolute hog that bent out my size 16 parachute after towing me around for a couple minutes last summer. Planning on going back next year.

Irafly

Indi Ira
WFF Supporter
I was so worried that this was going to be a dry fly post, I should have known better! :)

I not only ignore the gulpers, but I also learned to leave the area altogether, glad you unlocked the code.

SpeyDragon

I’m headed there the end of Aug. Hopefully, the fish will still be in a playing mood.

Thanks for the report and pics.

Reel fun

I'm in West Yellowstone for 10 days mostly fishing moving water but went out early this morning to Hebgen hoping for bugs and rising fish.. Fished the Madison Arm and at one point saw trico funs and spinners along with callibaetis duns and spinners all on the water near my pram..lots of "gulpers" were taking advantage of this until around 11 when the wind picked up and shut things down.

But for about 3 hours the gulpers were feeding voraciously.. for what it's worth it's always been more effective for me to ignore the surface eats and target the gulpers by offering them something subsurface as they tend not to be as selective 3ft below the surface as opposed to in or on it.. Water was shallow (2-4ft) and weedy so I fished a double nymph set up under a NZ strike indicator with the bottom fly suspended just off the bottom.. the fish were feefing on the move and had to move with them but casting near gulping fish usually resulted in an eat.. landed a dozen or so which was less than half of the fish that I hooked up with.. reminded of fishing the far south end of Amber.. fish were mostly 14-17" and full of fight.. a few photos from the morning.. View attachment 289236 View attachment 289235 View attachment 289237 View attachment 289238
Sounds like a great day! What access did you use? I've fished the uppermost part of the M Arm for years, but it's now drawn down to low to fish

dbk

Sounds like a great day! What access did you use? I've fished the uppermost part of the M Arm for years, but it's now drawn down to low to fish
There is a turnoff on Hwy 191 with a sign for the Madison Arm resort.. just follow that road back into the lake .

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
Nice fishing! I have always wanted to fish this lake for the famous gulpers. Ridiculous rental car rates forced me to cut my trip short this week in Bozeman.
May not be applicable right now but when things normalize try Costco travel for great rates on rental cars. I got a RAV4 in Nova Scotia for $360 for 9 days. Includes extra driver at no charge.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts