NFR 2021 Summer Olympics

CreekScrambler

I believe that wrestling was among the original Olympic events, so it has a long tradition going for it. Oh, and I think I read that the wrestlers originally fought naked. Obviously this was long before their was a uniform committee.
All the athletes competed naked in the original Olympics. Technically, the uniform committee existed and the rules were that no uniform was the uniform.

CreekScrambler

Most certainly the above^
Grapplers are well, grapplers....pretty tough dudes.
But take me back to junior high. Smooshing some guy, or getting smooshed while some guy breathes hot air on your neck...in a skimpy outfit...well, kinda felt perverse to me.
Just sayin.
Ahhhh just a weee bit of homophobia sprinkled into a good old discussion of sports. Well done!

BDD

I have enjoyed what little of the Olympics I have seen but not to the extent I did watching as a kid...fond memories of Mary Lou, Carl Lewis, Flo Jo, the boxing teams, the Dream Team, Bruce Jenner and many more. It is pretty cool seeing some of the new events and sports that you don't see very often as well. I am not sure I can even fathom the amount of dedication and hard work these athletes put in to get where they are. I love seeing the competitive spirit, national pride, and sportsmanship across countries being displayed. I could do without using the Olympics as a political platform for your personal beliefs; I don't want to be too critical because I'm not sure I have even seen this occur, just hints and references of it so maybe this has not even occurred but I don't like the idea of it occurring at the Olympic level.

Kevin Durant showed why he's one of the best basketball players on the planet but I thought the US team underperformed overall. Too many jumpers and individual play, too many turnovers, and not enough passing, moving without the ball and some poor decision making for my liking. But hard to be too critical when they won the gold. That's my old-school fundamentals philosophy coming out. But to go down to the last few seconds with a team stacked like they were against France with one solid NBA player and and a few others who have had temporary stints in the NBA over the years...it just seemed like they should have ran them out of the gym.

Any thoughts whether USA will overtake China in the final gold medal count?

Last edited:

Salmo_g

WFF Premium
I could do without using the Olympics as a political platform
I agree. The Olympics are ostensibly intended to be a non-political gathering of international community. However there have been political overtones at least as far back as 1936. 1968, 1980, 1984, and now 2021 come to mind.

I also agree with you about the men's basketball team. KD showed his stuff, but I think a well tuned men's team should have prevailed with the kind of dominance shown by the women's USA team.

Any thoughts whether USA will overtake China in the final gold medal count?
And there you go, gettin' all political . . .

Bruce Baker

Jessica Springsteen (yes, rocker Bruce Springsteen's daughter) and the US equestrian jumping team took silver. Had to go to a jump-off with Sweden to determine who got gold.

Women's water polo dominated Spain to take gold.

Nelly Korda takes gold for US in golf.

BDD

I agree. The Olympics are ostensibly intended to be a non-political gathering of international community. However there have been political overtones at least as far back as 1936. 1968, 1980, 1984, and now 2021 come to mind.

I also agree with you about the men's basketball team. KD showed his stuff, but I think a well tuned men's team should have prevailed with the kind of dominance shown by the women's USA team.

And there you go, gettin' all political . . .
Although I certainly was aware of some of the other political overtones that occurred in the years you mentioned, I did not associate it with the same display that may have occurred in 2021 because I failed to see it on the same level, at least for some of those years. If a country outright boycotts the Olympics for political reasons, that seems entirely different than the examples of what I had been hearing about (but not actually observing). Who knows...maybe its all the same. I will enjoy it while I can if and perhaps only because they only come around so often. Kinda like Puget Sound pink salmon.

Sportsman

Olympics won't be fair until bowling and Hackesack are included. The Olympics have been a joke for too long, the World's are all that matter.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Premium
There was also 1972 where German citizens provided logistical support to Palestinian terrorists and the German government's response, including the release of the two surviving terrorists following the hijacking of Lufthansa Flight 615 without consulting Israel, was completely inept.

There have been a lot of controversial actions and decisions that been politically or nationalistically motivated.

Without doing the actual math...it looks like GB really does well per capita!
Without doing the math, so does Taiwan who after the IOC sided with Beijing prevented Taiwan from presenting itself as a sovereign state, must compete under the name "Chinese Taipei".
1628363953739.png

Interestingly also recent mention by CNN that there has been retaliation against Japanese (and other?) athletes by "Chinese nationalists" for defeating Chinese athletes.

longputt

1936. 1968, 1980, 1984, and now 2021 come to mind.
Every now and then I'll hear a great quote and wonder where it came form...sometimes I'm shocked to hear it was Plato, it turns out some things never change...I'll bet there were political issues in 202 BC Games!!! :)

girlfisher

Olympics won't be fair until bowling and Hackesack are included. The Olympics have been a joke for too long, the World's are all that matter.
There is a lot to what you are saying. The true Olympic flame burns for "Amateur" athletics.

• Jim Thorpe was stripped of his two gold medals by the International Olympic Committee in 1913, after the IOC learned that Thorpe had taken expense money for playing baseball before the 1912 Games, violating Olympic amateurism rules that had been in place at the time.
Fast forward and I hear, "no fair, they had more pros than we did". Just an old, outdated, person's perspective.

Sportsman

There is a lot to what you are saying. The true Olympic flame burns for "Amateur" athletics.

• Jim Thorpe was stripped of his two gold medals by the International Olympic Committee in 1913, after the IOC learned that Thorpe had taken expense money for playing baseball before the 1912 Games, violating Olympic amateurism rules that had been in place at the time.
Fast forward and I hear, "no fair, they had more pros than we did". Just an old, outdated, person's perspective.
Thanks for making my point clear. While the Olympics are very entertaining, they mostly grab the attention of the masses because they are the Olympics. They have been political and engineered for advertisement dollars for decades. World class athletes train year round for competition, the olys just get in the way every 4 years.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts