NFR 2021 Summer Olympics

girlfisher

For me, their is usually a correlation between the two.

Can we just get to the wrestling? Wrestlers are the gold standard for mental toughness.

As Gable said, once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy.
Wrestlers, like so many other athletes, live in obscurity for four years only to be truly appreciated during the Olympic Games. Dan Gable also said:
Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.

Swimmy

Wrestlers, like so many other athletes, live in obscurity for four years only to be truly appreciated during the Olympic Games. Dan Gable also said:
Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.

Oh hell yeah
iWv7I1bp_o.gif

Thomas Mitchell

corvus ossifragus
WFF Supporter
Agreed 100% and even more so for the women who get even less credit and have to answer questions like "do they even have women's wrestling?" for years.

Helen Maroulis winning the first American gold by a women in wrestling in Rio by beating Saori Yoshida, arguably the most dominant wrestler ever, male or female, was barely a blip in the news cycle. Major stoke killer.

I remember seeing my daughter getting her ass kicked for years as the only women in all male wrestling rooms when no one wanted to drill with 'the girl' even though she outworked most of them. To have to deal with the strength disparities and then have that mental burden on top of it was something I could never have done. Iron sharpens iron as they like to say.

MTThrower

Phelps and Sherman competed in the biggest spotlight - mentally tough.

Osaka quitting the French Open because she doesn't want to give post game interviews (coupled with the fact that she is thr highest paid female athlete on earth) - not mentally tough.

Like it or not a large part of athletics is both physical and mental toughness.

When I played sports a lack of mental toughness was also called being scared (and a lot of other mean words).
Simone Biles was serially sexually abused as a child by an official medical representative of her sport in a way that was at best ignored and at worst tacitly condoned by the national governing body of the sport that she is currently representing in a very public way. As defending olympic champion and greatest of all time in her sport no less. Which she accomplished after said childhood sexual trauma. Let me know if you think you are "mentally tough" enough that this would never affect you. Think back to your glory days. I'll wait...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts