NFR 2021 Summer Olympics

Swimmy

Just watched the Mensah Stock match. Little dusty over here. Awesome.

Also learned that she lost her Dad in a car accident leaving a wrestling tournament. This just adds to the story.

Really proud of her.

Also, while it has been discussed, Adeline's response to winning a silver medal deserves mentioning. Incredible perspective and she should be applauded for what she's done for women's wrestling.

Wrestling is the best.

Charles Sullivan

Ratings for the Tokyo Olympics are pure shit. Down anywhere from 30-50%. This is a disaster for NBC. We are getting all kinds of excuses as to why (same with the NBA) but it is pretty obvious.

People are turned off at what they perceive as entitled athletes disrespecting our country. The following sums it up

The reason no one is watching this year is simple: the Olympics are no longer the Olympics. What’s supposed to be a celebration of individual excellence is now nothing of the kind. Instead, the Woke Olympics are all about politics, grievance, ingratitude, entitlement, and unappealing athletes who are more interested in preening their virtue than representing their country.

Agree or disagree, I don't really care.

But there is no denying that some are using their platform in a way that is creating division, regardless of how righteous they may be. You might dig it. Fine. There are a lot of folks that see it differently and they are simply expressing their opinion by tuning out.

Admittingly, I haven't watched a minute of women's soccer and could care less. But in an attempt to not derail this thread too much further, if you or anyone else want to continue the discussion, feel free to pm me.
L8VPdFIT_o.gif
Swimmy,

Please take this as I intend it. That is, from a person who has been actively trying to not discuss politics, immigration, activism, etc. with you on this board.

When you post an argument and then say that the rebuttal should be taken off line you are only assuring that your word is the last word publicly spoken on the subject. The exact difficulty that I have not responding to your political posts is that I don't want to leave them unchecked. Essentially, I don't want to cower in the face of you bringing your politics into threads. Now, for the sake of the board, I have not been responding but please understand that what you are doing is trying to write the rules of engagement so that you get the last word. I am also forced to choose between sticking up for my belief in what's best about and for my country or going down a political rat hole with you.

So in this way, you are doing exactly what you are saying that activist athletes are doing. This actual quote sums it up quite well:

"But there is no denying that some are using their platform in a way that is creating division, regardless of how righteous they may be. You might dig it. Fine. There are a lot of folks that see it differently and they are simply expressing their opinion by tuning out."

You are making me less likely to "tune in" to this board. I know that I would like to respect Billy and Chris et al. and not have this be a shitshow. This becomes difficult when Canadian border closures become about American borders and Olympic discussions that should be fun and pro-US become threads where I'm forced to keep my mouth shut out of respect for the board and you want to get your political digs in.

In short, if you don't want someone to respond to your political commentary, stop the political commentary. you literally started this with the 1st post, which was political. Now you are telling someone else where they can rebut (offline).

Thank you,
Charles

Thomas Mitchell

corvus ossifragus
WFF Premium
Also, while it has been discussed, Adeline's response to winning a silver medal deserves mentioning. Incredible perspective and she should be applauded for what she's done for women's wrestling.

Wrestling is the best.
Adeline was one of my daughter's coaches at the OTC development camps. I have photos of them running up the Incline in Colorado Springs around here somewhere. My kid didn't quite have the genetics to compete at that level (my fault, her mom is a crazy athlete) but all the OTC programs and wrestling in general were a huge positive impact on her life. I have tons of gratitude for all her coaches and the sport in general.

We were disappointed that her college roommate, Victoria Anthony didn't make the Tokyo squad but are really pulling for Helen to repeat despite the tough go she's had the since Rio.

speedbird49

Phelps and Sherman competed in the biggest spotlight - mentally tough.

Osaka quitting the French Open because she doesn't want to give post game interviews (coupled with the fact that she is thr highest paid female athlete on earth) - not mentally tough.

Like it or not a large part of athletics is both physical and mental toughness.

When I played sports a lack of mental toughness was also called being scared (and a lot of other mean words).
Saying someone with anxiety disorder is mentally weak is perhaps the poorest taste comment I have ever seen on this forum

girlfisher

And I wonder why we are never competitive in Greco.
Greco and many forms of Greco are cultural in lots of countries. US, not so much! USA Wrestling gives American kids equal opportunities in both Greco and Freestyle during the Off (Collegiate Wrestling) season. Nevertheless this is nothing compared to growing up with Greco and having it implanted from previous, proud, Greco, generations.

Albula

swollen member
Swimmy,

Please take this as I intend it. That is, from a person who has been actively trying to not discuss politics, immigration, activism, etc. with you on this board.

When you post an argument and then say that the rebuttal should be taken off line you are only assuring that your word is the last word publicly spoken on the subject. The exact difficulty that I have not responding to your political posts is that I don't want to leave them unchecked. Essentially, I don't want to cower in the face of you bringing your politics into threads. Now, for the sake of the board, I have not been responding but please understand that what you are doing is trying to write the rules of engagement so that you get the last word. I am also forced to choose between sticking up for my belief in what's best about and for my country or going down a political rat hole with you.

So in this way, you are doing exactly what you are saying that activist athletes are doing. This actual quote sums it up quite well:

"But there is no denying that some are using their platform in a way that is creating division, regardless of how righteous they may be. You might dig it. Fine. There are a lot of folks that see it differently and they are simply expressing their opinion by tuning out."

You are making me less likely to "tune in" to this board. I know that I would like to respect Billy and Chris et al. and not have this be a shitshow. This becomes difficult when Canadian border closures become about American borders and Olympic discussions that should be fun and pro-US become threads where I'm forced to keep my mouth shut out of respect for the board and you want to get your political digs in.

In short, if you don't want someone to respond to your political commentary, stop the political commentary. you literally started this with the 1st post, which was political. Now you are telling someone else where they can rebut (offline).

Thank you,
Charles
You display a remarkable degree of restraint especially when it is neither warranted nor deserved.

Last edited:

Swimmy

Ok guys, let's get back on track.

The magnitude of Mensah-Stock winning is really just starting to sink in. Not only did she win gold, but she is the first black woman to win wrestling gold and just happens to be from the US. If you haven't already, listen to her interview after the match. It is moving. She has to be one of, if not the, most upbeat athletes in the games.

Jordan Burroughs, 2012 Olympic gold medalist wrestler and one of our all time greats, provided some excellent perspective on what this means for her and the sport. She will be a role model for many young female athletes for a long time. This really is a great story on so many fronts.

Thanks to @girlfisher for giving me a heads up early on about our women's team. Pure class from what I've seen so far.

Lot's more wrestling to come.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts