Olympic National Park Rivers

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
When conditions are right and the water is low in the summer, I’ve always just enjoyed cross crossing the river if fishing as I work upstream versus taking the trail.
That is some beautiful country though regardless of how you access it.
SF

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Yeah I was 28, and in pretty good shape, lots of hiking that summer and we did have more than a bit of doubt we'd make the falls...figured less than 50/50 chance.
I'm going to see if I have pics still, I remember bringing disposable cameras, 2 of which got swamped crossing the river, but there's a few pics somewhere in a box.
We had such shifty gear back then, even for the time it was shitty...but still got into some great fish.
Mid September, some Summeruns that were just plain hot fish, big dollies, and some real nice Kings.

Lol

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
We slept on bare ground 2 nights...mostly because we were basically lost, exhausted, with no trail, (map and compass and 10 essentials of course), but miles from our spike camp, which was miles from our tent camp. We had to leave our fly rods in a tree, and marked our trail in with flagging tape but still got lost...got out and found the rods and promptly killed 2 big dollies and cooked them up asap.
Lol
Now that I think about it, we really took some chances...doubt I'll ever even consider myself that immortal again.

Gyrfalcon21

The fishing really turned south about 20 years ago in the park rivers, perhaps earlier? That was when things became more scenic trips instead of fishing camp type ordeals.

Age of exploration (youth) had a big factor as well. Sanity ruled, finally.

Sleeping on the "nerf forests" is a big plus versus trying to fight thru a night when no matter how you twist and turn, you find a bladed rock digging into your back and ribs all night.

I have photos somewhere as well, but my short hiking shorts would have embarrassed John Stockton !

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The fishing really turned south about 20 years ago in the park rivers, perhaps earlier? That was when things became more scenic trips instead of fishing camp type ordeals.

Age of exploration (youth) had a big factor as well. Sanity ruled, finally.

Sleeping on the "nerf forests" is a big plus versus trying to fight thru a night when no matter how you twist and turn, you find a bladed rock digging into your back and ribs all night.

I have photos somewhere as well, but my short hiking shorts would have embarrassed John Stockton !

Fishing definitely isn’t what it used to be.
I remember walking across an old growth tree that had fallen across the river and looking down into the hole that had formed below it.
Holy shit was all I can say.....still clear as a bell in my mind what I was seeing. Unfortunately most of those aren’t there any longer.
SF

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Yeah being young it all seemed like it would go on forever, nobody else up there till the last day when 2 fisherman came into our low camp at Tshletshy...they looked at us and asked if we went upstream very far.
Lol

'Till we couldn't go any further'...3 days upstream and 2 days up there fishing, then 2 more days looking for the waterfall'

They said we were nuts.

Gyrfalcon21

Yeah being young it all seemed like it would go on forever, nobody else up there till the last day when 2 fisherman came into our low camp at Tshletshy...they looked at us and asked if we went upstream very far.
Lol

'Till we couldn't go any further'...3 days upstream and 2 days up there fishing, then 2 more days looking for the waterfall'

They said we were nuts.
Probably apparitions/ghosts of the early settlers who got lost up there!

First cross-Olympic hike in '84 where we underestimated our food needs by half, dying of lack of grease and salt and two+ days atleast to get out, I think my brother caught me placing a McD's drive-thru order with an imaginary speaker and menu board.

Last edited:

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
:)

Specifically, the half-mile of slide alders on the slopes .................. It took me 5½ hours to cross that half-mile patch of alders, and it's an experience I never want to repeat. Ever.
I spent many a day in the north cascades in stuff just like that. I remember a day looking for beaver ponds on .... mt. creek. I don't believe there were any, or any fishable water, but heck, I really never knew where we were after 25 minutes.
Opps, sorry, thread drift

speedbird49

Can you even find the Doug Rose book for a reasonable price? I looked a couple of years ago but never did. Very much enjoyed his book on Steelhead in the OP.
Is 55 dollars a reasonable price for the book in used condition or should I keep an eye out for a better deal?

Thank you all for the very detailed and specific advice, definitely even more helpful than I expected

speedbird49

Books are the new bitcoin ! Who knew? Film cameras are super hot right now-for real ! It is actually the plastic 35mm point and shoots.

Wait until the first wheel comes up for auction.
I really should buy myself an EOS 3 before they become a stupid prospect. I love shooting film and it would be nice to use my EF glass on an analog body

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts