Intermediate and Fast-sinking lines recommendations?

ceviche

I own a Sage VXP 4 piece 6wt. It already showed me that the Rio Grande floating line loads the rod quicker than others I’ve used before. Sweet combo.

The problem I’m facing these days is that my old sinking lines suck for various reasons: memory, rod loading, etc. Yes, these lines are older than I’d like to admit. I haven’t replaced them only because they’ve held together for all this time.

So what I’d like to hear are some recommendations for a new Intermediate line and a quicker sinking line to get deep without mystery weird hassles along the way. Please feel free to expound on the myriad virtues of each of your recommendations.

troutpocket

I'm seeing a lot of love for those SA Sonar lines. I think I will go in that direction. However, can anyone elaborate on those 1/3/5 and 3/5/7 sink lines? What's with the combo numbers? Is it like a depth range they hold at, depending on how much line you put out, or something else?

One thing I've liked about some of the more traditional Intermediate lines is their sink rate (instead of hovering). If you cast and immediately retrieve, it's relatively easy to maintain a shallow depth. On the flip side, you can do a countdown to figure out if fish are holding deeper. If you don't have a fast-sinking line handy, this can help you trade a skunk day for a slow one.

In the case of Intermediate lines, I've really liked the ones with different shades of green and clear to help you gauge how much line you have out. Does SA do that with their Sonar lines?
My SA Sonar clear camo is a slow sinker for sure. I love it for fishing shallows but If you’re looking for an intermediate that doesn’t take forever to get down to 10’ or deeper I’d look elsewhere. I have used Rio’s Aqualux intermediate lines for years and it is a great all-around line.

Buzzy

The rang of numbers is the make up of the sink rates. The I/3/5 has a 33.5' head that sinks at S5. Then a S3 handling section back to 55', then the rest (running line) is intermediate.

3/5/7 is similar to above, but with type 7 head, type 5 handling section and type 3 running line.

View attachment 290727
Thanks for the explanation. Have you used either of these two lines? I was curious ("I'm just curious") if there's any hinge effect at the section joints.

troutpocket

Thanks for the explanation. Have you used either of these two lines? I was curious ("I'm just curious") if there's any hinge effect at the section joints.
Pat - I have been using the 1/3/5 and 3/5/7 lines regularly. No hinge effects. They are “heavy” though, +2 line weights. That’s not a problem for me as I value the quick loading and easy distance casting over a subtle landing :)

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Yeah, I have a couple of them. I haven't noticed any hinging, but now you've got me curious. I'll check when I get home if they hinge at all when the line is doubled back (I'm guessing that will show a hinge).

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
Alright here ya go....

Abstract:
Buzzy asked if there was any hinging action noticebale while casting the SA Sonar Titan 3D fly line. Since this is a serious inquiry as hinging could limit a Buzzy's ability to deliver both accurate and lengthy casts, we (dad, et al) set out to answer this important question.

Introduction:
The hinging of a fly line can severely limit an anglers ability to deliver a fly both accurately and to lengthy distance (especially in windy conditions). As such, it was critical to compare fly lines of the multiple density variety to determine amount of hinging (x=hinging coefficient). Plus, if your bro is snapping pics for insta, you want (wait) Need the perfect hinge free loop.

Methods:
I drank Space Dust and Matchless Day Dream Double IPA (Fig. 1) while trying to keep my 3 kids (they are the et al.) from peeling the line off of all my reels and reeling it in backwards. We were watching Coyote Peterson, the episode where Mark gets shocked by an electric eel. Oh, also, I doubled up some lines (3 total) and arbitrarily observed them to see if there was any hinging. This method is widely referred to (by only me) as the Long Rod method for hinging Coefficient (LRMFHC). Super scientific stuff here.

20210802_203011.jpg
Fig. 1 The beer.

Results:

Of the three different lines, the SA sonar Titan I/3/5 (8 wt) and 6 wt had the lowest coefficient of hinging. Test results showed x=.001 (Fig 2) for the 8wt and x=.003 for the 6wt (Fig. 3).
20210802_195458.jpg
(Fig. 2) SA Sonar Titan 8wt I/S3/S5 (LRMFHC) results

Same line but 6 wt:
20210802_200149.jpg
(Fig. 3) SA Sonar Titan 6wt I/S3/S5 (LRMFHC) results.

The Rio predator had a slightly higher coefficient of hinging, x=.020 (Fig. 4). Also, sickness was very high on this one.

20210802_195800.jpg
(Fig. 4) Rio Predator (F/I/S3) LRMFHC results.

Rio OBS (WF 8 S3) was tested mostly because dad (me) was having fun with the kids and the fly reels, but what the heck, just for shits and giggles we tested it. Tested out at x=9. Yikes. Not very good. Check out figure 5.
20210802_195626.jpg
(Fig. 5) Rio OBS 8 wt S3 LRMFHC test results.

Discussion:
Beer is good. In particular the Matchless Day Dream Double IPA. Also, these are all pretty good lines but the SA Sonar Titan is clearly the line you want. Buy it. You'll catch more fish.

Buzzy

Alright here ya go....

Abstract:
Buzzy asked if there was any hinging action noticebale while casting the SA Sonar Titan 3D fly line. Since this is a serious inquiry as hinging could limit a Buzzy's ability to deliver both accurate and lengthy casts, we (dad, et al) set out to answer this important question.

Introduction:
The hinging of a fly line can severely limit an anglers ability to deliver a fly both accurately and to lengthy distance (especially in windy conditions). As such, it was critical to compare fly lines of the multiple density variety to determine amount of hinging (x=hinging coefficient). Plus, if your bro is snapping pics for insta, you want (wait) Need the perfect hinge free loop.

Methods:
I drank Space Dust and Matchless Day Dream Double IPA (Fig. 1) while trying to keep my 3 kids (they are the et al.) from peeling the line off of all my reels and reeling it in backwards. We were watching Coyote Peterson, the episode where Mark gets shocked by an electric eel. Oh, also, I doubled up some lines (3 total) and arbitrarily observed them to see if there was any hinging. This method is widely referred to (by only me) as the Long Rod method for hinging Coefficient (LRMFHC). Super scientific stuff here.

View attachment 290863
Fig. 1 The beer.

Results:

Of the three different lines, the SA sonar Titan I/3/5 (8 wt) and 6 wt had the lowest coefficient of hinging. Test results showed x=.001 (Fig 2) for the 8wt and x=.003 for the 6wt (Fig. 3).
View attachment 290857
(Fig. 2) SA Sonar Titan 8wt I/S3/S5 (LRMFHC) results

Same line but 6 wt:
View attachment 290858
(Fig. 3) SA Sonar Titan 6wt I/S3/S5 (LRMFHC) results.

The Rio predator had a slightly higher coefficient of hinging, x=.020 (Fig. 4). Also, sickness was very high on this one.

View attachment 290860
(Fig. 4) Rio Predator (F/I/S3) LRMFHC results.

Rio OBS (WF 8 S3) was tested mostly because dad (me) was having fun with the kids and the fly reels, but what the heck, just for shits and giggles we tested it. Tested out at x=9. Yikes. Not very good. Check out figure 5.
View attachment 290859
(Fig. 5) Rio OBS 8 wt S3 LRMFHC test results.

Discussion:
Beer is good. In particular the Matchless Day Dream Double IPA. Also, these are all pretty good lines but the SA Sonar Titan is clearly the line you want. Buy it. You'll catch more fish.
I love seeing Scientific Method applied to determining how reactions occur. Such an effort! Hurculean! Domo arigato, Merci', Thank you!! I was, however, hoping to see your testing method applied in a dynamic manner where there are, no doubt, infinite variables and results can never be determined until there are fewer unknown values than known values. Then, and only then, asymptotic estimates can be determined (as X approaches zero, but, as we all know, X never gets there)*.

* I think my BS factor is pretty full this morning, could be the third cup of fresh roasted Guatemalan Huehuetenango bean coffee?

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
I love seeing Scientific Method applied to determining how reactions occur. Such an effort! Hurculean! Domo arigato, Merci', Thank you!! I was, however, hoping to see your testing method applied in a dynamic manner where there are, no doubt, infinite variables and results can never be determined until there are fewer unknown values than known values. Then, and only then, asymptotic estimates can be determined (as X approaches zero, but, as we all know, X never gets there)*.

* I think my BS factor is pretty full this morning, could be the third cup of fresh roasted Guatemalan Huehuetenango bean coffee?
On it!!
Does this count as peer review? :D

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts