Moth Balls

Zak

WFF Supporter
WFF Supporter
I am moving to a new house and will have a space to set up my fly tying desk in my home office. I am going to a bunch of non-airtight plastic bins filled with ziplock bags to store materials on shelves. I am curious what people use to prevent moths/beetles from chowing down on feathers and fur. I've been lucky so far, but I'm sure that I have been courting disaster. I used to have naptha moth balls, but there are different kinds of moth balls now. Also, I'll be working in this office 8-10 hours a day and don't want to breathe too many fumes.

Any suggestions for bug-free material storage?

Thanks!

Zak

Squamishpoacher

I use a bunch of shoebox sized plastic boxes with a clamped on lid and keep materials in Ziploc bags. This is in a storage locker as I don't have the room for everything. I've never had an issue with bugs.

Reactions: Zak

Kfish

WFF Supporter
I don't use any moth balls, hang all my bucktails and hackles vertically (in their own bags) from my man cave office closet. Doing good so far.
I'd stay away from moth balls and their fumes, just put them in airtight containers if you must :) that's just me.

SilverFly

I am moving to a new house and will have a space to set up my fly tying desk in my home office. I am going to a bunch of non-airtight plastic bins filled with ziplock bags to store materials on shelves. I am curious what people use to prevent moths/beetles from chowing down on feathers and fur. I've been lucky so far, but I'm sure that I have been courting disaster. I used to have naptha moth balls, but there are different kinds of moth balls now. Also, I'll be working in this office 8-10 hours a day and don't want to breathe too many fumes.

Any suggestions for bug-free material storage?

Thanks!

Zak
I've tried vacuum cleaner scent beads - but not sure how well, or if they work at all since virtually all of my tying is with synthetic materials. At least your feathers and furs will smell nice.

chris stiemert

WFF Supporter
I bought some - then threw them away - they smelled awful- I keep feathers sealed up and then in airtight storage bin. I occasionally leave things on my tying desk longer than I should. Good reminder to keep in check.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
Huh. I've kept my stuff in the open or in loose bins and unsealed bags in a not particularly well sealed outdoor shop for well over a decade, with no issues/infestations.

Has anyone actually experienced problems with bugs in their bug stuff in WA?

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Huh. I've kept my stuff in the open or in loose bins and unsealed bags in a not particularly well sealed outdoor shop for well over a decade, with no issues/infestations.

Same here, inside cupboard, except for 30+ years with no issues...

Squamishpoacher

I did have one bug problem. When in my teens my dad knew a man who raised ringneck pheasants. He gave me a large cardboard box full of feathers that I kept in my bedroom closet. My mom let me know periodically that she killed a small moth or two and believed the source was this box. Of course she was my mom so I just ignored her.

One day I needed a pheasant feather so I went to the closet and opened the box and the room was in an instant, a-flutter with moths. I let out some expletive and slammed my bedroom door. Soon mom was on the other side of it giving me a "what did I tell you" lecture.

She's now 98 and from time to time asks if I still tie flies and then recalls the moth problem of my youth.

kmudgn

Like others, I use plastic boxes to seal materials inside. I buy them at Wallmart. Most are
shoebox size, but I have a few larger for necks, long feathers, and fur skins.

Very simply, if the moths can't get to your stuff they can't lay eggs which become larva which eat your feathers.

jasmillo

WFF Supporter

Same here as well. Based on the number of spiders I find, my house is certainly not bug proof yet my open containers with feathers and fur remain untouched. That is unless you consider my cat. He has a lot of fun whenever I accidentally leave the door open to the room I tie in.

nwbobber

I have had good success keeping my stuff in airtight containers or ziplocks. Now and then, and especially when I get something new, I cycle everything through the freezer for a couple weeks to kill any eggs that may be on them. Never used mothballs at all.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
sterilite plastic shoe boxes, materials in original zip lock packaging and no stinky moth balls

no problems for 40+ years and counting

74w9F8T.jpg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts