Quake Lake 7/26

dbk

Had never fished Quake Lake before so got up early and was on the lake around 7.. took my pram down the lake where the Madison enters it.. was interesting to fish a stillwater that had a current and flow more like a spring creek than a lake.. and the further you go back toward the mouth it fishes like a spring creek and looks like one.. and while there are some great shoals and flats that were current free and fish like a stillwater I stayed in the "spring creek " section as that's where the bugs and rising fish were most heavily concentrated..plus it offered a type of fishing that you don't often find on the lakes I often fish...

the water was shallow (less than 3 ft) and clear.. and the fish were mostly keyed on these super small midge pupae just under the surface although a few fish were eating the random callibaetis spinners that could be seen on occasion drifting by my pram.. there was nothing else showing bug wise and after trying different size 18-20 nymphs/pupae under a NZ indicator with no success I focused on trying to find those fish who'se riseforms indicated they were sipping callibaetis spinners.. tied on a size 16 deer hair callibaetis spinner and went to work.. and it was exactly that.. had to really work to get an eat but managed to hook up solidly on 4 rainbows.. 3 of which came unbuttoned just before getting them into the net.. all rainbows 14-15" who acted like they hadn't been hooked before.

Unfortunately after about an hour the surface feeding became very sporadic so I moved further back toward the mouth where it narrows considerably and the current became stronger. Here it did look like a spring creek and not a lake.. and there were good numbers of fish feeding visibly at or just under the surface. In this section the callibaetis spinners were bouncing up and down just above the surface but none could be seen floating in the water. The surprising thing was the hatch of pmd's that was hapoening.. and though there were good numbers of pmd duns visibly floating by me there were being ignored as fish were eating something in the film that couldn't be seen with the naked eye.. tried numerous pmd emergers, cripples etc to no avail.. finally tied on a size 18 pmd split case nymph and suspended it about 10" under my NZ indicator.. While not great was able to get 3 more rainbows fishing this way.. did two throat samples and while some pmd nymphs were in the samples the fish were keyed on bright lime green midge pupae.. 24-26 in size.. and I had nothing to match it in any of my boxes.. spoke to the guys at Slide Inn about it and they equated it to the curse of the black caddis.. when keyed on these tiny midges the trout are really difficult to catch..

Took a photo of these midge pupae and will include it in this post . Was a really fun albeit challenging day in a beautiful setting.. will definitely be back to fish it again.. 20210726_120717.jpg 20210726_101014.jpg 20210726_081201.jpg 20210726_075344.jpg 20210726_075329.jpg

nwtroutguy

The Tug Is The Drug
Had never fished Quake Lake before so got up early and was on the lake around 7.. took my pram down the lake where the Madison enters it.. was interesting to fish a stillwater that had a current and flow more like a spring creek than a lake.. and the further you go back toward the mouth it fishes like a spring creek and looks like one.. and while there are some great shoals and flats that were current free and fish like a stillwater I stayed in the "spring creek " section as that's where the bugs and rising fish were most heavily concentrated..plus it offered a type of fishing that you don't often find on the lakes I often fish...

the water was shallow (less than 3 ft) and clear.. and the fish were mostly keyed on these super small midge pupae just under the surface although a few fish were eating the random callibaetis spinners that could be seen on occasion drifting by my pram.. there was nothing else showing bug wise and after trying different size 18-20 nymphs/pupae under a NZ indicator with no success I focused on trying to find those fish who'se riseforms indicated they were sipping callibaetis spinners.. tied on a size 16 deer hair callibaetis spinner and went to work.. and it was exactly that.. had to really work to get an eat but managed to hook up solidly on 4 rainbows.. 3 of which came unbuttoned just before getting them into the net.. all rainbows 14-15" who acted like they hadn't been hooked before.

Unfortunately after about an hour the surface feeding became very sporadic so I moved further back toward the mouth where it narrows considerably and the current became stronger. Here it did look like a spring creek and not a lake.. and there were good numbers of fish feeding visibly at or just under the surface. In this section the callibaetis spinners were bouncing up and down just above the surface but none could be seen floating in the water. The surprising thing was the hatch of pmd's that was hapoening.. and though there were good numbers of pmd duns visibly floating by me there were being ignored as fish were eating something in the film that couldn't be seen with the naked eye.. tried numerous pmd emergers, cripples etc to no avail.. finally tied on a size 18 pmd split case nymph and suspended it about 10" under my NZ indicator.. While not great was able to get 3 more rainbows fishing this way.. did two throat samples and while some pmd nymphs were in the samples the fish were keyed on bright lime green midge pupae.. 24-26 in size.. and I had nothing to match it in any of my boxes.. spoke to the guys at Slide Inn about it and they equated it to the curse of the black caddis.. when keyed on these tiny midges the trout are really difficult to catch..

Took a photo of these midge pupae and will include it in this post . Was a really fun albeit challenging day in a beautiful setting.. will definitely be back to fish it again.. View attachment 290034 View attachment 290035 View attachment 290037 View attachment 290038 View attachment 290039
Did you try throwing anything big..?? Streamers..??

Brian in OR.

Not a streamer guy though the guys at Slide Inn recommend that as well.. but for me it's the challenge of getting them to eat an imitation of what they are actually keying on.. even though it may be more effective to do something completely different like throwing a big streamer..
Agree 100%... Cracking the code is what its all about especially if you solve the puzzle and reap the rewards....
Another great writeup. Another spot I haven’t explored. But I would have backed out of the shallows to the first drop off and worked a leech :) Big bad Leroy Brown lurks….

He lurks, but this one took a size 18 ant pattern in the shallows at Quake .... ( not my fish )

blog_Aug_30252631_2011_102BQuake2BLake-1.jpg

Reel fun

Took a photo of these midge pupae and will include it in this post . Was a really fun albeit challenging day in a beautiful setting.. will definitely be back to fish it again.. View attachment 290034 View attachment 290035 View attachment 290037 View attachment 290038 View attachment 290039
Did you see the bald eagle and its nest on the right bank on your way up the lake? I went last week and it was very busy there.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts