Quake Lake 7/26

the_grube

Not a streamer guy though the guys at Slide Inn recommend that as well.. but for me it's the challenge of getting them to eat an imitation of what they are actually keying on.. even though it may be more effective to do something completely different like throwing a big streamer..
Totally get that if it's your thing. Best of luck on that.

IMO sometimes you just can't 'match the hatch' and I try something different. Streamers can be effective, but, you don't have to fish a large fly. I've had real good luck in those situations stripping a size 10/12 leech on an intermediate line, or slowly retrieving a damsel nymph (if they're present on the lake) off a full floater and long leader.

I also find that fish in that mode, when you find something they'll eat, are pick-pockets. They might eat the dubbing off my fly before I get a hook-up. Super fun and super frustrating. The tug is the drug, even if it's a micro-tug :)

Great thread. That brown is a bruiser... yowzers!!

up2nogood

Totally get that if it's your thing. Best of luck on that.

IMO sometimes you just can't 'match the hatch' and I try something different. Streamers can be effective, but, you don't have to fish a large fly. I've had real good luck in those situations stripping a size 10/12 leech on an intermediate line, or slowly retrieving a damsel nymph (if they're present on the lake) off a full floater and long leader.

I also find that fish in that mode, when you find something they'll eat, are pick-pockets. They might eat the dubbing off my fly before I get a hook-up. Super fun and super frustrating. The tug is the drug, even if it's a micro-tug :)

Great thread. That brown is a bruiser... yowzers!!
Spent a fair amount of time on Quake , my avitar is picture on Quake . Had some of my better days with leech patterns there .

girlfisher

Many years ago we fished the Madison stretch entering Quake. Much to our dismay there were bait guys cleaning large browns and rainbows. We inquired about this activity in West Yellowstone only to be told that the bait guys were within their legal rights.

While I don't mind sharing local lakes with bait folks I fear that a stream of that importance could be easily stripped of its bounty. Hope the rules have been changed as that was a long time ago.

Hillbilly Redneck

wishin i was fishin
I've never fished Quake Lake but a few years ago I rented a cabin just below it that had rough access to the river. The river is pretty much rapids there and it didn't look very fishable. Wrong! In the middle of a hot afternoon I started casting a purple haze upstream and was immediatly into a big fish that ran out and broke me off. The water was so fast that I couldn't see my fly or the takes but when it happened it was pretty obvious. That happened more than once and I did manage to land some smaller fish.
This was a family vacation and I only squeezed in a couple hours fishing but it got me pretty excited. Driving downstream on the river was a real downer because there were drift boats about every 10 feet. I never saw anybody fishing in the lake and it looked tasty. I'll be back!

up2nogood

Many years ago we fished the Madison stretch entering Quake. Much to our dismay there were bait guys cleaning large browns and rainbows. We inquired about this activity in West Yellowstone only to be told that the bait guys were within their legal rights.

While I don't mind sharing local lakes with bait folks I fear that a stream of that importance could be easily stripped of its bounty. Hope the rules have been changed as that was a long time ago.
Both Quake , and Hebgen you can keep a limit of fish . It wouldn’t surprise me if between them where you are talking about on the Madison you can keep them still . It’s a bit of a question mark where Quake starts , and the river ends . Have never read the regulation on that section , other then the Madison is catch , and release . Not sure how many years ago you are talking , but the Madison back in the day you were also able to keep a limit , not sure when the regs. changed to catch and release.

dawhale

I used to dry fly Quake where the Madison first enters it. One day I had fished all morning with no success. As I walked out I saw a guy with a bent rod on the river. I made my way to him. Said hello and asked how he was doing. He said I had caught 6 this morning. He had a fly rod so I asked what did they eat. He said worms. I walked away shaking my head.

802flyfish

Agree 100%... Cracking the code is what its all about especially if you solve the puzzle and reap the rewards....

He lurks, but this one took a size 18 ant pattern in the shallows at Quake .... ( not my fish )

View attachment 290059
Here the write up regarding the photo.
Last week. Caught a few with a callibaetis spinner.
EDB8A46E-453D-4395-B447-C67BC10940E0.jpeg 56A43D10-6039-4F73-9619-680A078FC44B.jpeg

Last edited:

PV_Premier

cool area up that way, i can't wait to get back up there in September. bought an annual MT license but have only fished it 2x so far, so I need to get some days in when I am back out east next month.

up2nogood

cool area up that way, i can't wait to get back up there in September. bought an annual MT license but have only fished it 2x so far, so I need to get some days in when I am back out east next month.
Ya , I normally fish Quake several times on our summer stay in the area . This year just once , but fished Hebgen several times , especially since they started Hoot Owl on the Madison , although now I hear it’s lifted .
I too have been considering a Sept trip back up there for a few days . Wade is another that I didn’t get to, but the fire shut it down.

MT_Flyfisher

I’ve fished Quake a number of times. It’s one of my favorites, although you do have to be careful to watch when the wind comes up.

Several years ago my grandson, who was 14 at the time, and I went there with my drift boat and my 6 hp outboard. I couldn’t get the motor running, so I used the oars to row about a half mile up the lake. By the time I decided we should head back to the launch, we had a strong headwind and it was all I could do to get back.

Then when we finally did get back, I left my grandson in the boat and instructed him to just sit there util I returned with my truck and trailer, which was only a couple hundred feet away, at most.

Well, telling a 14 boy to just sit in the boat by himself, if even for a minute, was a big mistake. By the time I had backed the truck down to the lake, he had pushed the boat away from the shore, and was floating toward the other side of lake! The wind had really picked up by then and there were large white caps on the water.

Fortunately, he hadn’t got too far away, and between my yelling at him, and his rowing, he made it back okay. But I still have visions of what might have been. If there is ever a next time you better believe he’ll be told to either get out and sit on the shore, or go get the truck himself. (He is a pretty good kid otherwise, and will fish all day when he has the chance.)

p.s. With the low water conditions this summer, Quake could be good option this fall. I’ve never caught one of them myself, but I hear it does harbor some very respectable size fish.

up2nogood

:(I’ve fished Quake a number of times. It’s one of my favorites, although you do have to be careful to watch when the wind comes up.

Several years ago my grandson, who was 14 at the time, and I went there with my drift boat and my 6 hp outboard. I couldn’t get the motor running, so I used the oars to row about a half mile up the lake. By the time I decided we should head back to the launch, we had a strong headwind and it was all I could do to get back.

Then when we finally did get back, I left my grandson in the boat and instructed him to just sit there util I returned with my truck and trailer, which was only a couple hundred feet away, at most.

Well, telling a 14 boy to just sit in the boat by himself, if even for a minute, was a big mistake. By the time I had backed the truck down to the lake, he had pushed the boat away from the shore, and was floating toward the other side of lake! The wind had really picked up by then and there were large white caps on the water.

Fortunately, he hadn’t got too far away, and between my yelling at him, and his rowing, he made it back okay. But I still have visions of what might have been. If there is ever a next time you better believe he’ll be told to either get out and sit on the shore, or go get the truck himself. (He is a pretty good kid otherwise, and will fish all day when he has the chance.)

p.s. With the low water conditions this summer, Quake could be good option this fall. I’ve never caught one of them myself, but I hear it does harbor some very respectable size fish.
Similar story , but no one on the boat , the one time I fished Quake this year was with a friend . First time out with his new drift boat. Well we unhooked the boat , gave it a shove off the trailer , but failed to have a tie rope hooked up. Kind of know the rest of the story , it shot out into the lake faster then anyone could grab it . Luckily someone at the launch was there with their boat , and went out and retrieved it . :) Everyone that was there got a kick out of us .

I’ve caught a couple pretty good browns out of there , one was near a guy in a drift boat, handed him my phone for a picture, not sure what happened, but no picture . Biggest trout I have ever caught, a cutthroat out of Strawberry in Utah, same thing , a thumb over the lens :(

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts