Eastern WA DNR Lands Closed to Public

I was camping/fishing in the Skykomish/Beckler area last week and on Friday, the area was closed to the public because of wildfires in Eastern WA. I'm struggling to find info online about whether that area is still closed. Everything I'm seeing talks about DNR land East of the Cascades closed which is specified as beginning with Chelan County and does not include King:

"Closure alert: Due to extreme fire danger, all recreation and public access to DNR-managed lands in eastern Washington will be temporarily closed starting July 23, 2021, and lasting until fire conditions improve."
https://www.dnr.wa.gov/dnr-closure-eastern-2021

Does anyone know if this area is still closed? I'm not sure why it was closed in the first place since it is not East of the Cascades (or is it?!). I'm trying to plan another trip out there and don't want to be surprised by a shut-out.

Thanks

Matt B

WFF Supporter
Closed how? They asked you to leave? I drove by the Beckler turnoff Monday and it didn’t look closed.

Yeah, local rangers and I think a police officer or someone like that cruised all the camp spots and told us that we needed to be out by the next morning. I didn't see them, they talked with my buddy. Maybe they just wanted the whole area to themselves for the weekend to throw a massive party. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it was just a mistake, we were leaving the next day anyway.

Thanks all, "Plan A" is officially back on.

Old Man

A very Old Man
Yeah, local rangers and I think a police officer or someone like that cruised all the camp spots and told us that we needed to be out by the next morning. I didn't see them, they talked with my buddy. Maybe they just wanted the whole area to themselves for the weekend to throw a massive party. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it was just a mistake, we were leaving the next day anyway.

Thanks all, "Plan A" is officially back on.
So why you were there. Where did you fish?? I spent many years in that area fishing. I don't think that I missed very many pieces of skinny water while I fished there.

We fished the Rapid primarily and just camped for two nights right on it. That was where the forest service people talked with my friend. I recognized one of the guys when they drove away and I have talked with him before, really nice guy.

I wonder if the first closure area was more broad and then it was scaled back to just Eastern WA after a day or so.

Seems like the wording leaves it ambiguous by saying "East of the Cascades" but also saying from Chelan County. This map here shows that the Beckler zone could be considered on the Cascades even though where I was would have been in Snohomish County. I'll admit that I don't really know where the Cascades begin and end.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
DNR areas Closed and Open

Rialto

Washington State only owns a few parcels along the US 2 corridor with most of the land owned by the US and managed by the Forest Service. The Rapid River is within the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, Skykomish Ranger District and WDNR has no jurisdiction. From your description, it was a closure by the Forest Service.

CreekScrambler

“East of the Cascades” generally implies east of the crest/mountain passes of the Cascades. It would be pretty tricky to nail down the exact point at which you exit the Cascades heading east otherwise.

I called the office of the DNR Commissioner and they confirmed that East and West of the Cascades is determined along county lines and that the area in question is not DNR but part of the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie Forest Service zone (as I see was also noted by Rialto above). I was transferred a number of times to different offices/departments and from what I was told, the area is not closed by the US Forest Service. I also found THIS interactive map of emergency land closures that shows that it should be open. Lastly, I called and left a message with the Skykomish Ranger Station asking for confirmation and I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

On a side note, everyone that I spoke with was super helpful.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts