Sequim/North OP Area Advice

IHFISH

WFF Premium
I'll be staying with a family group on Sequim Bay in mid-August and will of course be looking to do some fishing while I'm there. I've mined this site for info, read Doug Rose's FF Guide to the OP, consulted the Byzantine even by WA's standards regs for that part of the world, and poured over the map, so I've got several ideas for where to go. But, this board is such a great resource, I thought I would solicit input the below topics, as well as any general info you may wish to share. My overall game plan is to get out early in the morning for SRC/Salmon and try to get the kids into anything that will bite later in the day.

1. Kids' Fishing - is it reasonable to expect to be able to jig up some flatfish, sculpin, dogfish, etc. from an inflatable kayak in inner Sequim Bay? There's also a dock where I'm staying that I'm hoping will provide some pile perch opportunities.

2. Salmon - my research indicates that it might be more difficult than I first thought to find a productive and open salmon beach on the strait at that time of year. Is that assumption generally correct? Just trying to calibrate my SRC vs. salmon expectations. I'm good either way and realize I can be on good salmon beaches if I move beyond the strait proper.

3. Tides - it'll be a series of early morning lows while I'm there. That seems less than ideal to me, but I've never fished in the area. I'll give it a shot regardless, but would appreciate any input.

4. Potential Guides/Charters - this will be mostly a DIY/family trip, but there might be some interest in a relatively low key half-day or less kid friendly type of trip. I am doing some research on this myself, but please let me know if you know of any good guides or charters in the area that do this kind of thing.

Andy

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
let me just get ahead of this before it gets lame. send him specific information via DIRECT MESSAGE. keep in mind, even if its not a place you fish often, its probably some locals favorite spot that they would rather not see promoted in the internet.

gt

SRCs are possible inside the bay so if you have a dock to walk out on give that a shot. they do tend to move with the tides and docks can be a favorite hang out. Port Williams beaches is another place to check out. good beaches but lots of dog walkers and dog shit to contend with. that said, SRCs move along that beach and there are several rocky outcrops so walk and cast., and as i have said a million times before, there are no secret places, sorry Dustin!!

one other thought, watch the weather. Sequim bay can be mill pond flat or a lumpy bumpy white capping hazard to any inflatable. if it resembles the first, try 'trolling' a fly along the edges, you may be surprised.

Last edited:

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
SRCs are possible inside the bay so if you have a dock to walk out on give that a shot. they do tend to move with the tides and docks can be a favorite hang out. Port Williams beaches is another place to check out. good beaches but lots of dog walkers and dog shit to contend with. that said, SRCs move along that beach and there are several rocky outcrops so walk and cast., and as i have said a million times before, there are no secret places, sorry Dustin!!

one other thought, watch the weather. Sequim bay can be mill pond flat or a lumpy bumpy white capping hazard to any inflatable. if it resembles the first, try 'trolling' a fly along the edges, you may be surprised.
this is why part of the reason we cant have nice things anymore. just curious, what compels you to highlight a specific spot like this in public instead of a PM. do you not know how to send a pm or are you just being edgy for the hell of it?

it has no effect on me, so dont think im taking this personal. just genuinely curious as what makes you think this is a good idea?

Old Man

A very Old Man
His secret is safe with me. I sure as hell ain't going to jump up and head over there to fish. Shit I have a hard of enough thing now for me just to get out here in Montana.:p

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts