Ocean Shores

Birdsnest

Frontager’s pizza in Seabrook has good food but it’s about 15 miles north of Ocean Shores. There’s also a good bakery across the street from Frontager’s.

Buzzy

looked at a map and realized my directions were half right. It's more drive all the way south east
View attachment 290540
That beach is a wonderful place to walk and enjoy the harbor - if you look across the harbor you can see @Nick Clayton heading out of Westport.......... the spit is a sanctuary for birds and seals - dogs aren't permitted much past your middle blue arrow.

@triploidjunkie - Westport is about an hour drive from Ocean Shores, you might find some seafood over there....

Shad

(Good) food is not widely or reliably available in Grays Harbor. Honestly, the Quinault resort might be as good as it gets these days. Not sure where you're staying, but if you have a kitchen, buy some good groceries in Olympia and cook. If you score some surf perch or rockfish, they both eat great fresh....

If you have time, you might check out the Westport Jetty. It's bigger and more exposed than the Ocean Shores side, but if you work your way out near the end, there is good fishing for rockfish, lingcod, and maybe even Cabezon on the north side. Good surf perch spot on the sheltered side (not as far out). You can throw out crab pots at the Westport marina if you like, but finding keepers can be challenging.

While you're fishing, I recommend you check out Copalis Beach. You have to walk out there a ways, but because of that there are few people, and the beach has more "features" (places that MIGHT hold fish) than Ocean Shores. Nice, secluded beach if nothing else....

wanderingrichard

(Good) food is not widely or reliably available in Grays Harbor. Honestly, the Quinault resort might be as good as it gets these days. Not sure where you're staying, but if you have a kitchen, buy some good groceries in Olympia and cook. If you score some surf perch or rockfish, they both eat great fresh....

If you have time, you might check out the Westport Jetty. It's bigger and more exposed than the Ocean Shores side, but if you work your way out near the end, there is good fishing for rockfish, lingcod, and maybe even Cabezon on the north side. Good surf perch spot on the sheltered side (not as far out). You can throw out crab pots at the Westport marina if you like, but finding keepers can be challenging.

While you're fishing, I recommend you check out Copalis Beach. You have to walk out there a ways, but because of that there are few people, and the beach has more "features" (places that MIGHT hold fish) than Ocean Shores. Nice, secluded beach if nothing else....
Adding on about Copalis; Many of the bottom fishing charters out of Westport use that general vicinity, a bit farther out, as a daily starting point for Lings and Rockfish. Always a productive area.

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
I spend a fair amount of time out there visiting family. IMO the lakes are the most fun. Duck Lake has some nice LM bass and some really nice trout, 5# fish are not uncommon. As enticing as the canal system looks that connects Minard and Duck lake, the fishing is not what it once was since they chemically treat it constantly to control the weeds and algae. Pretty barren of life anymore but the lakes themselves fish well. Duck is much larger, gets more pressure, can be a little rowdy with tubers or jet skies on nice weekends or holidays but not unbearable in most cases. Minard is a sleeper I’ve caught some hogs in there, much much smaller lake and gets very little pressure. Bank access is non existent, both lakes can be accessed easily by pontoon if you have one. Because of the mild summer weather water temps aren’t as bad as you may think. I’ve fished it many times in July and august and with early morning water temps in the mid 60’s. White, flashy baitfish or red leeches work best for me.

dp

~El Pescador
there is a pizza place on the road that parallels the beach that ain't bad in Ocean Shores.
if you go to Westport, there is the one eyed crab. everything is pretty much fried, but the fried tuna was exceptional.

Tim Lockhart

Casa Mia in Hoquiam if it's open. Family staple at my dad's for a lot of years.

I'd say make the razors a priority, but outa season. Always fun.

Buzzy

I spend a fair amount of time out there visiting family. IMO the lakes are the most fun. Duck Lake has some nice LM bass and some really nice trout, 5# fish are not uncommon. As enticing as the canal system looks that connects Minard and Duck lake, the fishing is not what it once was since they chemically treat it constantly to control the weeds and algae. Pretty barren of life anymore but the lakes themselves fish well. Duck is much larger, gets more pressure, can be a little rowdy with tubers or jet skies on nice weekends or holidays but not unbearable in most cases. Minard is a sleeper I’ve caught some hogs in there, much much smaller lake and gets very little pressure. Bank access is non existent, both lakes can be accessed easily by pontoon if you have one. Because of the mild summer weather water temps aren’t as bad as you may think. I’ve fished it many times in July and august and with early morning water temps in the mid 60’s. White, flashy baitfish or red leeches work best for me.
Maybe the rules for Duck Lake differ from Minard?
IMG_5454.jpg
Really hard to see in this picture at a Minard launch but the sign board reads: "personal water craft prohibited" (Got to just love it!).

I did see several boats fishing the bigger lake and there were some bankies fishing from the dock (there's a dock at this launch as well).

triploidjunkie

I was down in O.S. not long ago and there was a huge line of cars getting food there. Something must be decent going on.
We went there tonight. 40 minute wait to get in the door. We ordered curbside pickup, and it only took 25 minutes. I was looking forward to a oyster shooter, but they were out of oysters.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info