Ocean Shores

Gyrfalcon21

Tornow and Huck Finn? And yet we get "stuck" with crappy vampire movies about Forks??

I visited local nursing homes early in life and later thought of visiting nursing homes or just finding the old timers and getting their stories, but wasted my opportunity forever.
Even I am dated now. We had kids in our school who took a school bus 40-ish miles each way mostly on gravel back and forth to a real-life logging camp in Grisdale. Who needed Alaska?

Oxbow Tavern-just found this. Sounds about like what I heard about the place.

"...jumps out of truck and pulls out a big hunting knife and says you want to get gutted you stupid bitch?! ... protect your mom, and fight or flight instinct were very conflicting for me at the time, my twelve year old brain was still processing this situation when my mom grabbed a beer bottle and broke it off, holding it by the neck she snarled at him if you hit my kids....."

Last edited:

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
As a writer of fiction, if ole Samuel had a tape recorder, Fly would have narrated an instant best seller. Of course Sam would have to substitute alternative words for all the bleeps, given the editing standards of those days. "King of the Hump."
Yup

It would be required reading, then it would be banned....

dustinchromers

As a writer of fiction, if ole Samuel had a tape recorder, Fly would have narrated an instant best seller. Of course Sam would have to substitute alternative words for all the bleeps, given the editing standards of those days. "King of the Hump."

I'm well familiar with the "man" you speak of. The quotes are because you and I both know he is at least as much beast as he is human, likely more. He's one of god's prototypes. Not fit for mass production but functionally perfect in some of the harshest environments the planet has to offer. An original one off to be certain. I've never met another alike that's for damn sure. He will likely be included in my book entitled, "Beasts Of The Lower Peninsula And Other Wildlife Encounters". A coffee table book detailing the lives of loggers, anglers, and other men of interest beyond their profession. A real introspective investigation that examines the forces at work to make these unique and endangered creatures tick. A brutally honest warts and all account of some of these prototypical beasts in their natural habitat. How they thrive, how they fall, how they live and lived. Most men like Fly are long since extinct in times of drinking horns and law by the sword and fist. Seeing one in the wild is truly breathtaking. Their crude majestic nature a reminder of when things were rough hewn.

landlocked

I was driving by on my way home after fishing the Peninsula for a few days and saw the drift boat in front of the tavern, with all the police around it and just laughed, never really knew what the deal was, but given the high profile the guide assumed it was bound to happen sooner or later, for one reason or another.
I had a light out on my boat trailer and we were going stop and have some food and beers, but just kept on driving...no need to take any chances.
;)
I kept a complete trailer tail light kit and every spare bulb my truck needed on hand, just for ventures back to the Willapa from The Hoh or Queets. Not that I ever needed to worry between the takeout and home (only burgers and responsible amounts of adult beverage consumption) at The Oxbow, Red Rooster, Ace of Clubs, Brooklyn Tav, Topnotch, and Tombstone Willies and parking the boat. Think there may have been a few other stops along the way just to play pull tabs and see what was on the jukebox.

landlocked

What if Samuel Clemens had visited places like Aberdeen, Hoquiam-places like the Oxbox instead of Virginia City?
Or in a bit more modern twist, if Hemingway floated around off of Grays Harbor instead of the Columbia?

Edit- Cuba, not Columbia… thanks spell check.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
ManBearPig...
On an evening of thorough verbosity I counted the Manbearpig's entire vocabulary: 67 words. That's it. Every thought he ever had could be communicated with that word budget. I'm not sure if that means the beast is a man of few words or a man of many words, just the same few used again and again.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Lol
He can be quite loquacious...and really can string together some curses too...

That's funny...67

:)

Last edited:

JM

An article recently published in the Daily World Newspaper stated that they were going to treat Duck Lake to control the growth of aquatic vegetation. Before Ocean shores was developed, this was one of my go to duck hunting spots with my grandfather. The lake provides a great largemouth fishery and holds some very nice bows to over 5lbs if you can find em. There are miles of canals to explore. Good luck.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts