Olympic Peninsula Recommendations

I wish that I weren't asking this outright and as much as I'd like to take the time to explore, my buddy and I will only have two days in the OP to camp/fish. Most of the rivers that are suggested from searching this forum and Google seem to be primarily for using boats, which we don't have. He and I will just be wet wading so I'm looking for suggestions about general areas/rivers where we could have good access to water that hold fish big enough to keep/eat. We will also be looking for some legal but off-grid spots near water where we can camp.

If anyone is willing to at least point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Shad

Yeah.... wise to bring hot dogs and beans for dinner. You can try to catch a sockeye or summer coho on the Sol Duc, but anywhere else, you're pretty much looking for cutthroat or the oddball summer steelhead. You might run into a summer king, depending on how you're fishing, but I'm not sure those are open for harvest anywhere these days (maybe the Quileute?)

Anyway, be sure to check the regs for where you're fishing, especially if you plan on eating anything.

The reason you don't see a lot of wade fishing spots in older posts is first and foremost that there aren't all that many, but perhaps also because folks are learning not to give away "spots." Like everywhere else in WA, private property is a major issue outside the national park boundaries. That's why, if you just want to do some fun fishing in a picturesque spot, I generally recommend the Upper Hoh, Queets, or Quinault to folks seeking decent access. There's plenty of it, but you have to work for it in most places. Woods are very walkable in the park, but they are FULL of blowdown and mudholes. Have fun exploring, and good luck finding something harvestable!

Thanks! Those were the rivers that I was looking at and the Bogachiel and Hoko came up too. Sounds like it might be more of a "hiking/exploring trip with some fishing" this time.

Thanks

Thomas Mitchell

corvus ossifragus
WFF Premium
Check the regs. Many OlyPen coastal rivers are in various state of closure until mid-Sept:

Quilleute, Solduc - closed
Bogachiel, Calawah- open for trout, closed for salmon
Hoh, closed for salmon, open for trout but closed again the first couple weeks of Sept

Don't kill anything with an adipose fin which since salmon is closed means the only thing available is a unicorn hatchery summer steelhead or residualized hatchery steelhead or smolts = easier to just not kill anything.

Bringing the hotdogs and beans is a good tip. They taste great on a gravel bar.

Shad

Check the regs. Many OlyPen coastal rivers are in various state of closure until mid-Sept:

Quilleute, Solduc - closed
Bogachiel, Calawah- open for trout, closed for salmon
Hoh, closed for salmon, open for trout but closed again the first couple weeks of Sept

Don't kill anything with an adipose fin which since salmon is closed means the only thing available is a unicorn hatchery summer steelhead or residualized hatchery steelhead or smolts = easier to just not kill anything.

Bringing the hotdogs and beans is a good tip. They taste great on a gravel bar.
Good post.

Quileute AND Sol Duc closed. Wow. That is a sad state of affairs.

kamishak steve

I think it's unlikely that anyone would want to give away most of their fishing spots, but wild trout spots, even less likely, and giving them away for harvest, less likely still. I second the suggestion on the beans, but if you are hell bent on keeping a few, the state has tons of amazing alpine lakes that often have so many trout they become overpopulated. The OP in particular has some gems.

Jim Travers

One time I got ASKED TO LEAVE on a alpine lake because I was shouting cross the lake to the 'proximate location of another individual I'd seen earlier. Narratin' my strategies - choice of fly and why - to teach them. Cussed heavily to ESTABLISH authority on the lake. I was putting on a clinic! 'pparently the sound was reverbratin' off the cliffs, several camps in the vicinity were offended!!

Was asked to leave!!! Upon a alpine lake!!

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Premium
One time I got ASKED TO LEAVE on a alpine lake because I was shouting cross the lake to the 'proximate location of another individual I'd seen earlier. Narratin' my strategies - choice of fly and why - to teach them. Cussed heavily to ESTABLISH authority on the lake. I was putting on a clinic! 'pparently the sound was reverbratin' off the cliffs, several camps in the vicinity were offended!!

Was asked to leave!!! Upon a alpine lake!!
So did you leave? I would have walked over to the asshat's asking me to leave with a cigar in my mouth and chatted them up! And then suggested maybe they leave if they didn't like the fact I was just having fun. The advantage of being a big guy, with a beard!

1morecast

Thanks! Those were the rivers that I was looking at and the Bogachiel and Hoko came up too. Sounds like it might be more of a "hiking/exploring trip with some fishing" this time.

Thanks
FYI, it's a long drive from the Bogey to the Hoko. If you guys only have a couple days, pick one river or area and enjoy!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts