Jeep TJ Roof Rack for the Outcast Striker

rjshort

WFF Supporter
HiYa,

Just purchased the Outcast Striker raft. Looking for a roof rack for it to put on a Jeep TJ. The Striker is 9.5 feet long and 5 feet wide at 102 lbs. Would like to has a lift assist on the rack for ease of loading. Has anyone done this or is this a bad idea?

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
You might have some problems collecting any insurance if placing that weight on the roof causes any damage to the vehicle. You are looking at some weight for a rack including the "lift assist" device that can support and hold 102 lbs at driving speed plus the weight of the raft.

rjshort

WFF Supporter
You might have some problems collecting any insurance if placing that weight on the roof causes any damage to the vehicle. You are looking at some weight for a rack including the "lift assist" device that can support and hold 102 lbs at driving speed plus the weight of the raft.
Understood Brian. The rack, if what I am trying to find, would have to be mounted on hard points on the Jeep. Yes, the fiberglass hardtop would not support mush of anything. Thanks!

rjshort

WFF Supporter
You might look at something like this. I don't know if it will work with a hard top however.
Good start Jim. I will look more into this item. However, the item spec's show the basket. No need for that. Just a rack to hold the Striker with hopefully, a roller on the rack for ease of loading.

Thanks,

Ron

long_rod_silvers

WFF Supporter
One thing to think about: when carrying your boat/raft on top, you have zero visibility on what's going on with it. Bring this up because a buddy lost his raft from the top of his truck. He had it up on the roof and apparently lost a strap (bouncing raft created enough slack for the strap to come un hooked) and that was enough to eventually let the raft fly off the top. Who knows if it happened all at once, or if the strap came off and the raft was up there for a while with only one strap. Yes, he should have had a safety rope or some sort of fail safe, but still.

With a trailer, you can at least see what's going on with your cargo and maybe see a loose strap and possibly prevent an accident.

Food for thought.

rjshort

WFF Supporter
One thing to think about: when carrying your boat/raft on top, you have zero visibility on what's going on with it. Bring this up because a buddy lost his raft from the top of his truck. He had it up on the roof and apparently lost a strap (bouncing raft created enough slack for the strap to come un hooked) and that was enough to eventually let the raft fly off the top. Who knows if it happened all at once, or if the strap came off and the raft was up there for a while with only one strap. Yes, he should have had a safety rope or some sort of fail safe, but still.

With a trailer, you can at least see what's going on with your cargo and maybe see a loose strap and possibly prevent an accident.

Food for thought.
Yup, good call! However, my setup is that I flat tow the TJ behind the RV. Pretty sure I cannot tow doubles, like RV, TJ, trailer in Washington State. Hence a roof rack. Whenever I put ANYTHING on top of anything, I use a minimum of 3 straps along with a short safety line for just the event you mentioned regarding your friend. I really do not like surprises when driving. :)

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
Good start Jim. I will look more into this item. However, the item spec's show the basket. No need for that. Just a rack to hold the Striker with hopefully, a roller on the rack for ease of loading.

Thanks,

Ron
Actually, in the Q&A Quadratec states the base rack does not include the basket. I can't find that in the product description anywhere but it's mentioned in the Q&A. As a buyer, I might have been a bit surprised when opening the box(es) :eek: .
1627923409585.png

Last edited:

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter

Food for thought.
I use a set of two cam straps over the top of my WM to secure it to my SUV's roof rack's larger front and rear bars but, I got a tip (here?) to also use four heavy duty rubber bungees around each of the tubes; two near the bow end (WMs can't be secured like that at the stern because of the rear "deck") and two just in front of the seat and attached to the smaller middle rack bars. When sized correctly for the tubes the bungees make it bulletproof and allows for natural tube expansion and contraction from temp and altitude variations... works great! I can also see the raft through the sunroof to monitor it :cool:.

rjshort

WFF Supporter
I use a set of two cam straps over the top of my WM to secure it to my SUV's roof rack's larger front and rear bars but, I got a tip (here?) to also use four heavy duty rubber bungees around each of the tubes; two near the bow end (WMs can't be secured like that at the stern because of the rear "deck") and two just in front of the seat and attached to the smaller middle rack bars. When sized correctly for the tubes the bungees make it bulletproof and allows for natural tube expansion and contraction from temp and altitude variations... works great! I can also see the raft through the sunroof to monitor it :cool:.
Indeed!!! Thanks Brian!

DKL

Go Cougs!
HiYa,

Just purchased the Outcast Striker raft. Looking for a roof rack for it to put on a Jeep TJ. The Striker is 9.5 feet long and 5 feet wide at 102 lbs. Would like to has a lift assist on the rack for ease of loading. Has anyone done this or is this a bad idea?

Thanks,

Ron
Curious, where did you find a Striker available? I have recently been looking into one and there don't seem to be any available.

rjshort

WFF Supporter
Curious, where did you find a Striker available? I have recently been looking into one and there don't seem to be any available.
They are on backorder. Looks like End of September to October till they arrive from Vietnam. The manufacture is suffering from raw materials supply. This information was from Outcast Boats.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts