Hawaii (Big Island) - updated with report

chadk

Be the guide...
Hi. I'll be on the big island next month (Kona area / dry side) and I'm thinking of bringing my fly rod for some early morning casting practice while the family sleeps.

Best I can do is an 8wt with floating line that I would typically use for salmon/steelhead. I don't have a shooting line for it or warm water line. Not sure it's worth it to get all that setup for a few hours of fishing. But could be persuaded if it is a must...

Not looking for anything special over there - just a tug on the line. Might even take the family on a charter.

Should I even bother? If so, is the 8wt OK? Bait fish flies? Shrimp or crab patterns? I assume 99% of the fish will look like little tropical aquarium fish that it will handle easily, but then I could hook a jack or something that could try and spool me in a few seconds (assuming I get any action at all).

Freestone

WFF Premium
I can’t help you, Chad, but it is so nice to see you post! I hope that you and your family have a great time! Mingo lives in that area now so you might shoot him a PM.

chadk

Be the guide...
Chad, I have an older 8wt streamer express clear intermediate, that's yours for the taking. It doesn't play well in our colder waters, but should be just fine for some practice casting in warmer climes.
Dude, that's awesome!! Sending you a PM....

jasmillo

WFF Premium
@Mems or @Mingo are the guys you want to talk to. Look up their old posts. That said, I’ve been to the Big Island 9 or 10 times and always bring a fly rod. All I have ever caught is a variety of reef fish but for me, it’s a fun activity to add to beach time. I bring an 8 weight and a variety of small baitfish patterns. I keep it super simple. One rod, one reel, one line, one box of flies, a spool of flouro/mono and some needle nose because I am not 100% sure what fish might spike/bite me :).

chadk

Be the guide...
@Mems or @Mingo are the guys you want to talk to. Look up their old posts. That said, I’ve been to the Big Island 9 or 10 times and always bring a fly rod. All I have ever caught is a variety of reef fish but for me, it’s a fun activity to add to beach time. I bring an 8 weight and a variety of small baitfish patterns. I keep it super simple. One rod, one reel, one line, one box of flies, a spool of flouro/mono and some needle nose because I am not 100% sure what fish might spike/bite me :).
We are tracking. I have been reading their posts already and hopefully I can connect with them before going. And that is my plan on the gear :)

Scudley Do Right

I did what you are planning on a few months ago. My in-laws rented a place on the beach and I would go cast while the kid napped. I caught a handful of smaller stuff in the the lava fingers. I just bought a closeout warm water floater. I wore felt wading boots and used a stripping basket because that lava can be harsh. I found my best chance at blue fin was to head out to the end of a finger and they would dart in from the open water. They were about the size of a basketball and fast to someone who doesn't do warm water. I never got off a good cast but they are cool to see when they are lit up. There was a saddle on the finger I would walk out on and I would watch my back so I could get across before it went under. When it would flood a group of 8 blacktips up to 5' would slip over it. I did a day with Don at A bay. He's a good dude and knows his stuff. We saw a couple bonefish and a GT. I caught a handful of stuff. I just used small baitfish patterns.

chadk

Be the guide...
I did what you are planning on a few months ago. My in-laws rented a place on the beach and I would go cast while the kid napped. I caught a handful of smaller stuff in the the lava fingers. I just bought a closeout warm water floater. I wore felt wading boots and used a stripping basket because that lava can be harsh. I found my best chance at blue fin was to head out to the end of a finger and they would dart in from the open water. They were about the size of a basketball and fast to someone who doesn't do warm water. I never got off a good cast but they are cool to see when they are lit up. There was a saddle on the finger I would walk out on and I would watch my back so I could get across before it went under. When it would flood a group of 8 blacktips up to 5' would slip over it. I did a day with Don at A bay. He's a good dude and knows his stuff. We saw a couple bonefish and a GT. I caught a handful of stuff. I just used small baitfish patterns.
Great feedback, thanks!

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I've fished there with Mingo many times. It's a reef fish game, so bring some small trouty flies to entice some freaky aquarium fish. The spots to have shots at bigger/more exciting species are further from town, and kind of zipper-lip situations. But basically about any beach or spot you can get to the water will have quite a variety of fun stuff swimming around. The triggers are especially fun.

You'll up your chances by dangling the goods under an indicator.

chadk

Be the guide...
I've fished there with Mingo many times. It's a reef fish game, so bring some small trouty flies to entice some freaky aquarium fish. The spots to have shots at bigger/more exciting species are further from town, and kind of zipper-lip situations. But basically about any beach or spot you can get to the water will have quite a variety of fun stuff swimming around. The triggers are especially fun.

You'll up your chances by dangling the goods under an indicator.
Oooh, indicator - didn't think of that. Will bring a couple. Thanks!

rooftop

Hopper with a whopper plopper dropper
It can be pretty anemic if you don't have local guidance, but the net fishermen are cool since you're not competing. I've had luck with little shrimp flies. The stripping basket is a great idea - wish I'd brought one.

chadk

Be the guide...
It can be pretty anemic if you don't have local guidance, but the net fishermen are cool since you're not competing. I've had luck with little shrimp flies. The stripping basket is a great idea - wish I'd brought one.
I've had some help from a local guide - he is out of state while I'll be there, but he was kind enough to offer some tips.

FerrousTortoise

E88C662C-B297-4774-A237-970CD4D970D3.jpeg I haven’t had any luck on the fly rod yet, but switched to what the locals were using and picked up this guy this morning at one of the beaches @Mems sometimes features in his posts. 3-4 pounds and a really fun fight. Bite is best from 5-6 am, and they are really keyed in on the bait fish. I don’t think I have any flies that quite match well enough. Only bite on the fly I straighten a hook on one of the salmon clousers Nick Clayton ties from a super hard strike.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info