My fishing partner passed away

jcp

This is hard to realize , that my fishing partner of more than 40 years is gone. He refreshed my interest in fly fishing In 1979. I always kidded him that I only went fishing with him because he tied such beautiful flies. He introduced me to the wonders of spring creek fishing in such wonderful places like Armstrong, Nelson's, and Silver creek. For more than 40 years we made annual 2 week trips to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, British Columbia and Alberta. He even convinced me to accompany him to New Zealand for a month twice. I owe him so much, for what he brought to my life. I don't know how much fishing I will do now, without my best friend Duane Hansen. I don't think any one here knew him as he was not one to join in groups. There is a very large emptiness in my heart, but I do have wonderful memories of our trips together. I am 79 so my fishing without a companion will be limited.

Freestone

WFF Premium
My deepest condolences on the loss of your friend. I hope that, over time, the memories of the wonderful times you’ve shared help ease the pain. I also hope that you find some new fishing buddies so you can enjoy the sport and share the knowledge that Duane shared with you.

Last edited:

jcp

I’m sorry to hear that
I see you’re from Arlington
I’m retired ( mostly) and live in Bryant
I’ll fish with you

Thank you for your thoughts.. I now split my residence between Tonasket Long Lake and Mukilteo. At the present just recovering from some health issues. Hope to be able to get out fishing in September. Maybe we could make contact then. Thanks Jerry

IveofIone

WFF Premium
Having lost a good fishing buddy to prostate cancer a few years back I can relate to your grief and sense of loss.I miss the trips to the Deschutes, Crooked River, Kelly Creek and all the mountain lakes we visited. His sense of humor, cackling laugh and love of Twinkies will never be forgotten. As a story teller he was superb and we shared stories of our climbs in the Sierras and climbing the volcanoes around Mexico City. Great and treasured memories as I am sure yours are.

At our age it is difficult to find good fishing buddies but not impossible. My friend Freestone put it very succinctly recently when she noted that a good fishing buddy is as hard to find as a good spouse. Don't give up, there are people on this board that will take you under their wing and help you to keep fishing for years to come.

I hope you completely recover from your health issues and if I read this correctly you are in Okonogan County. If so there is still some wonderful fishing there even though it may not be the glamour locations you have fished in the past. Reaching out and letting us know is a good first step to finding someone to share the water with. Good luck Jerry. Ive

Jerry - I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your close friend. He sounds like a quality person and an all around good guy. May those four decades of great memories fishing together help ease the pain of your loss. When you get well again, go to the river and remember those good times. There's nothing like standing in a river to help you deal with loss. Take good care.

Steve Saville

WFF Premium
I lost my best friend and fishing buddy to a stroke almost two years ago. I found the best picture of the two of us and put it on my computer as a backdrop. I see him every day and it reminds me how precious friends are and how short life is. My condolences to his family and to you as well.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Premium
Hi JCP,

I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your friend and fishing partner. Your email reminded me of our inevitable mortality. I generally fish alone; always have, although I've plenty of fishing trips with friends, but never a fishing buddy, like you have. I know you will always miss him, but I also know you will treasure those times and he will live in those pleasant memories.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts