Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Forest grouse season runs from Sept. 15, 2021

5K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  Ppppp 
#1 ·
#24 ·
I sincerely hope that there is a metric shit ton of rain on the East side for this reason. Hunters wait all year for their season. Some, like Elk are quite short. I really feel for anyone who can't do what they love because of the fires. I understand why the lands are closed. I just hope that they can open.

It would be great if they were all gated and walk in was allowed even in fire years.

Go Sox,
cds
they also don't want any shooting as they say there's a potential for sparks that could cause a fire . I had quite a conversation years back with a DNR employee about that subject didn't end well .

#25 ·
I find that hard to believe, but what can you do. All the plinking in the sagebrush I've done over the last 30 years and it's never even come close to happening. Shit, all the plinking done south of town in the HHH by all the folks who used to shoot out there and that shit has never burned in my lifetime. This state just wants to nerf life, that's all.

#27 ·
Went to my go-to grouse spot of the last 3 seasons. Logged 5 years ago, long sunny ridgeline road at 4000 ft. Walk out and back at dusk and rarely go without an opportunity. The grouse always have these tiny yellow flowers in their gullet. Find the flowers, find the grouse. Unfortunately the owner applied an herbicide this spring and the 10 feet of foliage along the shoulder looked like nuclear winter. Gone were the little yellow flowers along with the birds.

#35 ·
Ok. Could use a little help here. Been a pheasant hunter for years traveling to E Wa Well with the price of gas and With Steelhead counts low I decided to get into Grouse hunting to get me through the fall.

I’ve got in 15 miles of walking in already along with watching countless videos trying to learn how to find these birds. I’ve yet to see one. Even though the paths I walk are very “Grousey “ or at least I think so.

I’m hunting the West side of the mountains now. South King and Pierce counties. I’m looking for someone I can ask a few questions. Not like what rock to stand on. I don’t mind doing the ground work. But usually after an outing I have some unanswered questions.

Pleas Pm if ya don’t mind me asking ya!!

#36 ·
Ok. Could use a little help here. Been a pheasant hunter for years traveling to E Wa Well with the price of gas and With Steelhead counts low I decided to get into Grouse hunting to get me through the fall.

I've got in 15 miles of walking in already along with watching countless videos trying to learn how to find these birds. I've yet to see one. Even though the paths I walk are very "Grousey " or at least I think so.

I'm hunting the West side of the mountains now. South King and Pierce counties. I'm looking for someone I can ask a few questions. Not like what rock to stand on. I don't mind doing the ground work. But usually after an outing I have some unanswered questions.

Pleas Pm if ya don't mind me asking ya!!
Phil, try areas that have been logged a few years ago. Walk the old logging spurs and push into new growth that provides cover. Forest service roads hold fine gravel that they need to grind in their crop. Late afternoon as shadows grow they'll pick gravel and head to their roosts. And keep walking, do you have a dog?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.