NFR 2021/22 NFL Football

Yard Sale

Huge Member
I have often wondered many times over the years when a team scores a TD that ties the game with less than a minute yet, knowing they will give the ball back to the opponent (in this case Aaron Rogers) with enough time to march down and kick a winning field goal. I know it seems strange but what if Juszcyk goes down at the 1/2 yard line rather than scoring. You had two timeouts to score a TD rather than giving the ball back to the other team. The downside is obviously you run a risk of not scoring but at least to keep it in your hands and not the opponents. How many times have we seen a good QB march down the field against a prevent defense only to kick a 40 yarder and win the game with less than a minute left. I'd just once want to see that scenario play out.

Fair point. Even worse is they had 12 seconds on the play clock when they snapped the ball. From what I read today they didn't really expect to score from the 15 on a 5 yard pass to the FB and wanted to keep the D on their heels.

That said they won last week on a series of QB sneaks so going down at the 1 would have been smart. In hindsight.

But a decent D should stop a FG with 37 seconds to go.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
The Ponies have beaten the Giants, Jags & the Jets…I wouldn’t be beating my chest just yet…
And each game has lost them a starter to injury. The Broncos are only 33-1/3% responsible for those three teams being a combined 0-9.
You can only play the games on your schedule.
Taking it one week at a time.
3&0 is 3&0.
*Insert next cliche here*

Brute

WFF Premium
And each game has lost them a starter to injury. The Broncos are only 33-1/3% responsible for those three teams being a combined 0-9.
You can only play the games on your schedule.
Taking it one week at a time.
3&0 is 3&0.
*Insert next cliche here*
Next week the Ravens visit Denver, and my Raiders are on the road against the Bolts…let’s see who is still in first place in the division…

Week 6 the Raiders head to Denver; I’ll post a pick of one of my favorite streamers vs yours for the winner…

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Pete doesn't operate that way. It's his scheme on both sides of the ball, and always has been. It's why things always go the same way no matter what coordinators he has. He used to have generational talents that covered up his lack of creativity or ability to adjust. Now he doesn't, and he gets predictably out-coached game after game. He doesn't adjust, he doesn't adapt. I've said the same thing the last 5 seasons, but so long as the team narrowly makes the playoffs, things won't change.

Jody Allen basically gave Pete the keys to controlling the club so she doesn't have to. So the buck stops with him. I doubt we'll see him exit until he wants to, no matter how bad this team gets.

How much input does JS have into a game and/or personnel? JS frequented a local bar. The patrons would would leave him and his friends alone. Good on them! But what he overheard from all the Tuesday night quarterbacks - many of them are season ticket holders - was hard to miss...

BDD

The QB’s that can go down the field in 37 seconds with no time outs in the NFL and win the game are very rare…you can count them on a butcher’s left hand…
Yeah, maybe I suppose. In this case you know Rogers is definitely one of them. I have seen it happen enough over the years that it made me think how to counter it. And I'm only a casual observer of the game.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
I feel like something of that sort happened after the last playoff loss. Russ was clearly unhappy there for a bit. I think this is going to be the year that decides if things get really, really spicy with personnel by next offseason. Kinda feels like the leadup to a big transition right now

If they get rid of Russ, Pete's going to find out real quick of how much it sucks to coach in the NFL without a legit QB.

Charles Sullivan

View attachment 296615
A big game is coming up this weekend for young Mac Jones.
Solid call out Dime. I will take the bait.
Mac was actually pretty good Sunday. He misses some chunk plays. Generally it is due to the lack of time. Pats have issues at Right tackle. The pick 6 was clearly not his fault. Otherwise he wad pretty good.
Now, my beloved patsies were awful in the kicking game. They have some issues on offense, but that is fixable. They struggle some vs. the run but that is improving.
The big issue is the kicking game and penalties. They are not playing like a BB coached Pats squad. That is the difference. They still were bettrr than the Jets and would have beat the Dolphins if it weren't for a turnover ( a fumble no less). Losing due to a fumble is inexcusable. Losing while having a punt blocked and throwing 3 picks while dopping balls all over including a dropped pick 6 is truly unexpected. The Pats played like the Jets on Sunday.
Now, unlike the Jets, they will play hard again vs. Tompa Bay. They will likely lose. Thrir line play is not as good on both sides of the ball.
That is just how it is when you start a rookie QB. The QB can't win a game yet. You need to win on the lines, in the kicking game, and you need to hold on to the football.
Tommy will break the yards record in Foxboro; as it should be. Good for him. Pats will need to play well on D, win on special teams and get chunk plays on a few screens or short passes. It is a tough row to hoe.

Go Sox,
cds

Proheli

I have often wondered many times over the years when a team scores a TD that ties the game with less than a minute yet, knowing they will give the ball back to the opponent (in this case Aaron Rogers) with enough time to march down and kick a winning field goal. I know it seems strange but what if Juszcyk goes down at the 1/2 yard line rather than scoring. You had two timeouts to score a TD rather than giving the ball back to the other team. The downside is obviously you run a risk of not scoring but at least to keep it in your hands and not the opponents. How many times have we seen a good QB march down the field against a prevent defense only to kick a 40 yarder and win the game with less than a minute left. I'd just once want to see that scenario play out.
Every once in a while a guy will pull up short and try and take a few seconds off the clock before the other team figures out what is happening, but statistically, it’s better to score and give your defense a chance to stop them. Anymore, half the time you don’t even have to march down the field. It’s only two passes from your 30 to their 30. The cbs stay back and loose for fear of someone getting behind them, and 30 seconds later you are in field goal range. That even includes a couple of spikes to kill the clock. I agree with you it would be exciting to watch a coach pull up, keep the ball, and run the clock down for a few last tries. It does seem like 4 tries from the 1 yard line would be enough.

Last edited:

Proheli

nobody even mentions my team the Cleveland Browns
It’s too painful. lol. They are still really good and I’d pick them again if they played the last two teams over again. It does show they can be beaten. I think they need to mature. No more counting on playground style miracles to save your bacon.

creekx

Director of Stoke
Every once in a while a guy will pull up short and try and take a few seconds off the clock before the other team figures out what is happening, but statistically, it’s better to score and give your defense a chance to stop them. Anymore, half the time you don’t even have to march down the field. It’s only two passes from your 30 to their 30. The cbs stay back and loose for fear of someone getting behind them, and 30 seconds later you are in field goal range. That even includes a couple of spikes to kill the clock. I agree with you it would be exciting to watch a coach pull up, keep the ball, and run the clock down for a few last tries. It does seem like 4 tries from the 1 yard line would be enough.

Go to the 8:30 mark. An all-time great rushing performance by Jerome Harrison (Go Cougs!) capped by a smart move to take time off the clock.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts