New Fly Fisher -Skagit River

wiggl

Hello,
I am new to fly fishing and live near the Skagit River and would love to try my luck fishing it. I'm not familiar with accessible spots along the river, stretches of the river that are best, when is the best time throughout the year, and what flies the fish may be attracted to.
I think I would like to start higher up near Marblemount area for trout since I currently only have an Echo 9' 5wt, and then work my way down for pinks once I get the hang of it.
Any advice, tips, or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

DimeBrite

5X Celebrity Jeopardy Champion
The Skagit is a large river with large fish (salmon, steelhead, char). You will need to read the regulations and read about run timing. Pink salmon is a good place to start with a 6 weight.

wiggl

The Skagit is a large river with large fish (salmon, steelhead, char). You will need to read the regulations and read about run timing. Pink salmon is a good place to start with a 6 weight.
Yeah I was reading the regs earlier and looking on google maps for all the borders, next I’ll try looking up the run timing.

vader

Skagit should be full of pinks when it opens. I would start down in Sedro Wolley to Hamilton area first. Further along in Sept look for them up in Marbalemont area. Get a map and follow the roads that go to the river. Some will have access some will not. When I first started that is what I did. I found access points and then wished I had a boat, another story. Have fun, the pinks are a blast

vader

Funny story, at least to me. When I first fished WA it was an odd year. Got a road map and found access around Sedro Wolley. I had no clue what I was doing but found tons of fish. Through a pink fly and got fish. I thought way this is great WA is just like Alaska. Went to the same spots a year later and nothing. For years never figured out why no fish. Oh the good old days of exploring.

hedburner

Might want to wait until Glacier Peak turns off. Looking pretty brown right now and I don't think too many fish are there now. Saturday only saw two boats out and a handfull of plunkers out on Young's bar. Didn't see any fish either. Hey how about this for cold spotting the Skagit!

KerryS

Ignored Member
Might want to wait until Glacier Peak turns off. Looking pretty brown right now and I don't think too many fish are there now. Saturday only saw two boats out and a handfull of plunkers out on Young's bar. Didn't see any fish either. Hey how about this for cold spotting the Skagit!
Brown isn’t a good description of the river. There is so much crap in the water right now it looks more like a lahar. I had to check to make sure Glacier Peak hadn’t erupted. I don’t see the Skagit clearing until sometime in September. If then.

CreekScrambler

Spend this window of off-color water taking a good long drive up and down both sides of the river. Take notes or drop pins at pull-outs and study the maps for likely spots. Try the side roads between the big road and the river.

And most of all, have fun! I’ve had a blast exploring up and down the Skagit. It’s a big, beautiful river.

johnnyboy

Watch out for tweakers. In my experience most keep to themselves, but I've heard some interesting stories all throughout the river. Make sure to drive an ugly car, since a smashed window can ruin your day.

Supposedly Bigfoot has also made appearances in the upriver basin too.

CreekScrambler

Watch out for tweakers. In my experience most keep to themselves, but I've heard some interesting stories all throughout the river. Make sure to drive an ugly car, since a smashed window can ruin your day.

Supposedly Bigfoot has also made appearances in the upriver basin too.
Yeah...I got in the habit of prominently carrying a big-ol thing of bear spray with me for dogs and tweakers alike. I find that everybody tends to stay polite.

Definitely looking forward to lighting up something fun with Bigfoot one of these days.

hedburner

Went down and checked to see if anything has changed, nope still the same. Lots of garbage, 18 bucks minimum for the dump, not quite a load if it gets bigger I'll pick it up and get rid of it. If I'm the only rig in the lot it's probably good sign no fish around. Even went over to the boat launch and only saw one truck and trailer.

Attachments

• 20210816_083909.jpg
    20210816_083909.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 97
  • 20210816_084113.jpg
    20210816_084113.jpg
    951 KB · Views: 113
  • 20210816_084148.jpg
    20210816_084148.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
  • 20210816_084324.jpg
    20210816_084324.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 120
  • 20210816_084324.jpg
    20210816_084324.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 107
  • 20210816_084427.jpg
    20210816_084427.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102

wiggl

Tried fishing the Cascade River up near Marblemount. Nice clear water, caught a few very small trout.
when will the Skagit and Sauk clear up? And when will pinks make there way up there?

CreekScrambler

Pinks are still in the salt and lowest part of the river and won’t be up to Marblemount for a while longer.

It’ll take a trend of cooler, dry fall weather for the Sauk and Skagit below the Sauk to clear.

Have you fished the Skagit above the Sauk or just the Cascade?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info