New Fly Fisher -Skagit River

wiggl

Pinks are still in the salt and lowest part of the river and won’t be up to Marblemount for a while longer.

It’ll take a trend of cooler, dry fall weather for the Sauk and Skagit below the Sauk to clear.

Have you fished the Skagit above the Sauk or just the Cascade?
I haven’t yet, but I’d like to try that next.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Tried fishing the Cascade River up near Marblemount. Nice clear water, caught a few very small trout.
when will the Skagit and Sauk clear up? And when will pinks make there way up there?
How well do you know your fish? Do you know the difference between small trout and parr?

hookedonthefly

The Skagit/Sauk + can take you a lifetime to learn. Learn about the watershed, fish species and their life histories...Frankly, it’s a complicated watershed, IMHO. Learn CFS flows, the geography. My home river for 9 years; and, I feel, I only scratched the surface.

hedburner

River cleared a little to around about four or five inches in your fly disapears, but there was a shit ton of fish moving up.

SignorVince

Pinks are still in the salt and lowest part of the river and won’t be up to Marblemount for a while longer.

It’ll take a trend of cooler, dry fall weather for the Sauk and Skagit below the Sauk to clear.

Have you fished the Skagit above the Sauk or just the Cascade?
Do you mind sharing about when to expect them up to Marblemount? My neighbor across the street has a place up there and has invited me to do when the time is right, but he's a kayaker not a fisherman so he has no idea.

SignorVince

First part of September should see good Pink numbers up there. Mid Sept. will have tons of pinks and some decent numbers of early coho.

Thank you!

Pinks are fun to catch; however, I would not keep them for food fish that far upriver...just sayin’. In the salt or early river entry, cleaned, brined and smoked properly...Heck Yeah. Ed
Definitely not catching to eat, just want to be able to finally catch a salmon on the fly, although I'd expect that they'll probably won't be feeding as much by then either.

hookedonthefly

Thank you!

Definitely not catching to eat, just want to be able to finally catch a salmon on the fly, although I'd expect that they'll probably won't be feeding as much by then either.
IMhO, you will have a blast on a stunningly beautiful watershed. Again, IMhO, they like pink flies stripped /twitched relatively slowly. Depending on karma, they will slso take a surface fly. When pink flies don’t work, I switched to red. Have Dang Fun Out There. Ed

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts