New Fly Fisher -Skagit River

KerryS

Ignored Member
Pinks are aggressive. At humpy bar friend and I would race to see who would catch 10 first. Worst part was while trying to land 1 my friend would have landed 2 or 3.
A number of years ago back when the humpy runs were in the millions we had a house a mile or so from the river and one of the more famous bars, Gardner. My boys, around ten and eleven years old, decided to go fishing during the height of the run and rode their bikes down to Gardner. They both were capable plunkers. In quick time they had their limit which I think was four slimers apiece. One of the old timers told them to haul the fish home come back and catch some more. When I got home from work the garage refrigerator was slightly overstocked with pinks. They were pretty proud of all the fish they had caught. That evening we had a detailed discussion on rules, limits, and the need for both despite what the old guy at the river said.

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
August 23, 2021

Skagit River from Highway 9 to Baker River to temporarily close to all fishing

Action: Closes all recreational fishing during dates listed.

Location: Skagit River (Skagit County) from the Highway 9 bridge in Sedro Woolley to the mouth of the Baker River.

Effective dates:

Tuesday, Aug. 31 through Wednesday, Sept. 1
Tuesday, Sept. 7 through Thursday, Sept. 9
Tuesday, Sept. 14 through Thursday, Sept. 16
Tuesday, Oct. 5 through Wednesday, Oct. 6
Tuesday, Oct. 12 through Wednesday, Oct. 13
Tuesday, Oct. 19 through Wednesday, Oct. 20
Species affected: All species.

Rule: Closed to all fishing.

Reason for action: This area of the Skagit River will close to all fishing to avoid gear conflicts with treaty fisheries during these scheduled dates.

Additional information: Anglers are asked to respect tribal fishers and reminded to not interfere with tribal fisheries. Continued conflicts could lead to additional time and area closures.

Information contact: Mill Creek Regional Office, (425) 775-1311

O' Clarkii Stomias

August 23, 2021

Location: Skagit River (Skagit County) from the Highway 9 bridge in Sedro Woolley to the mouth of the Baker River.

Effective dates:

Reason for action: This area of the Skagit River will close to all fishing to avoid gear conflicts with treaty fisheries during these scheduled dates.

Additional information: Anglers are asked to respect tribal fishers and reminded to not interfere with tribal fisheries. Continued conflicts could lead to additional time and area closures.

So, no more dead drifting hay bales?

CreekScrambler

August 23, 2021

Effective dates:

Meh, it’s only a day or two at a time and they’re all midweek. Not too bad. There’s also nothing that can be done about it. At least the Skagit has fish. The Nooksack is a total wipeout salmon fishery and I’ve given up on it. Creekin’ only.

hedburner

What?! You guys don't fly fish at Young's Bar? Best day I had down there was 7 silvers hooked, the last live humpie in the river, a good sized dog salmon, several cutts and a dolly or two.

vader

August 23, 2021

Effective dates:

At least the tribes we'll be able to keep their nets strung from bank to bank. They close the pukeallup also. Maybe if the tribes did not net the whole river and actually fish like their ancestors then there would not be conflict

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
You guys need to get over the the tribal netting, they are the last in line and will always have THE RIGHT TO FISH.
Maybe we should stop all mixed stock fishing in AK, BC and WA marine areas.
Agreed. I posted the emergency rule change as an FYI to this guy to not fish closed waters. Should have realized it would turn into tribe bashing. My bad.

Charles Sullivan

Agreed. I posted the emergency rule change as an FYI to this guy to not fish closed waters. Should have realized it would turn into tribe bashing. My bad.
At least it's predictable. There is very little that creates consensus around here. You however have done it. Like George W. Bush himself, you @GOTY are a uniter, not a divider!

Go Sox,
cds

hookedonthefly

You guys need to get over the the tribal netting, they are the last in line and will always have THE RIGHT TO FISH.
Maybe we should stop all mixed stock fishing in AK, BC and WA marine areas.

To the best of my knowledge, WFF is the only site where this article still exists. It was me and 6 friends (2 WfDFW friends) that got this done. Over 100 derelict Nooksack and Lummi nation nets were removed. No problem with tribal fishing but….

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
How many poachers have you turned in?

There's bad apples in all of society!
Also the article said 62 nets, where are you "getting over 100"

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts