New Fly Fisher -Skagit River

KerryS

Ignored Member

To the best of my knowledge, WFF is the only site where this article still exists. It was me and 6 friends (2 WfDFW friends) that got this done. Over 100 derelict Nooksack and Lummi nation nets were removed. No problem with tribal fishing but….
The article is over 10 years old and is about the Nooksack. Basically it has nothing to do with the Skagit or any netting on the Skagit.

I used to fish the Skagit hard this time of year. Old age is slowing me down and I don’t get out like I used to. Back in my good days I would fish 3 or more days a week this time of year. Many of those days I shared the river with native fishermen. Never had an issue. In all those years fishing the lower river I came across two nets. One appeared to have been in the river for some time. The other was not as old and weathered but had been in the water for awhile. It seemed to me these nets got hung on the bottom and they cut free what they couldn’t save. Both nets were hung up on debris in deep side channels and appeared when the river dropped quite low. In both cases I reported the nets to the Skagit River Cooperative. Back then more tribes belong to it. In both cases the two nets were gone the next day. I got a phone call on one for a more detailed location. Perhaps more effort could have been put forth to remove the nets when they were first lost. I don’t know. I wasn’t there at the time. I have never seen an entire abandoned net in the Skagit.

Last edited:

hookedonthefly

How many poachers have you turned in?

There's bad apples in all of society!
Also the article said 62 nets, where are you "getting over 100"
Yes, I’ve tagged 3 poachers working in conjunction with WDFW enforcement. On lake opener, I floated the SF Nooksack to provide coverage since we only had 2, Ryan and Dave.

The derelict net removal was a long process. The article references one full river sled run in which we photographed and gps’s derelict nets. Again, no problem with treaty right fishin’; but, I wouldn’t call some tribes stewards of “our” rivers.

johnnyboy

I have a problem with the netting on the Skagit. Ever seen what they did to the chum runs? Sure, ocean conditions haven't been good but the tribes have netted the rivers hard. You can tell they go just for the eggs by seeing the wasted fish along the bank. Used to be hundreds of thousands of Chums in that river.

I'm also sure that they have gutted out the other species incidentally. Kings, steelhead, big dollies, etc. Mortality rates must be pretty high as they leave thier net out for a long time.

Its terrible that they shut down the whole river and have priority over the recreational fisherman. Why can't they fish hook and line like the rest of us? It's 2021.

Sorry for the rant. I had to get it out of my system.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Yes, I’ve tagged 3 poachers working in conjunction with WDFW enforcement. On lake opener, I floated the SF Nooksack to provide coverage since we only had 2, Ryan and Dave.

The derelict net removal was a long process. The article references one full river sled run in which we photographed and gps’s derelict nets. Again, no problem with treaty right fishin’; but, I wouldn’t call some tribes stewards of “our” rivers.
Yeah, but hey us white guys have taken damn good care of our rivers. We have taken away the estuaries and channelized the rest with dikes. We have cut down every tree along their banks and covered the ground with asphalt and concrete. Built gigantic concrete plugs in them blocking all that might move up the river and perhaps more important blocking all the materials the river needs to survive from flowing down the rivers. Yeah, us white guys are great stewards of the river.

hookedonthefly

Yeah, but hey us white guys have taken damn good care of our rivers. We have taken away the estuaries and channelized the rest with dikes. We have cut down every tree along their banks and covered the ground with asphalt and concrete. Built gigantic concrete plugs in them blocking all that might move up the river and perhaps more important blocking all the materials the river needs to survive from flowing down the rivers. Yeah, us white guys are great stewards of the river.
Kerry, seriously. It ain’t nothin’ about race. One of the guys I worked closely with was an Upper Skagit tribal Dude. Anothrr was Lummi Nation. Both Friends. There’s a ton of bad stuff that’s happenned to our watersheds. I spent a lot of my own time trying to make things on the river better. Gorilla tape on. Very Best, Ed

KerryS

Ignored Member
Kerry, seriously. It ain’t nothin’ about race. One of the guys I worked closely with was an Upper Skagit tribal Dude. Anothrr was Lummi Nation. Both Friends. There’s a ton of bad stuff that’s happenned to our watersheds. I spent a lot of my own time trying to make things on the river better. Gorilla tape on. Very Best, Ed
Who am I supposed to call out on the clear cutting of the entire watershed causing the sedimentation of the spawning grounds and raising the temperature of the streams? Who do I blame for diking and draining the estuaries taking the nurseries from the fish? Who built the miles and miles of dikes that have channelized the river removing the oxbows and sloughs the fish sheltered in during floods. Who should I say built the dams that have completely blocked fish passage and completely altered the makeup of the river by removing all materials from migrating down? Who?

hookedonthefly

Who am I supposed to call out on the clear cutting of the entire watershed causing the sedimentation of the spawning grounds and raising the temperature of the streams? Who do I blame for diking and draining the estuaries taking the nurseries from the fish? Who built the miles and miles of dikes that have channelized the river removing the oxbows and sloughs the fish sheltered in during floods. Who should I say built the dams that have completely blocked fish passage and completely altered the makeup of the river by removing all materials from migrating down? Who?
Pick something and work on it. i did. You can start on the Sauk. Thers’s a cleat cut just above Darrinton where they totally busted the riparian zone.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Pick something and work on it. i did. You can start on the Sauk. Thers’s a cleat cut just above Darrinton where they totally busted the riparian zone.
Hardly answers my question. Do what you gotta do dude. By the way, it is the white man that is responsible.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I have a problem with the netting on the Skagit. Ever seen what they did to the chum runs? Sure, ocean conditions haven't been good but the tribes have netted the rivers hard. You can tell they go just for the eggs by seeing the wasted fish along the bank. Used to be hundreds of thousands of Chums in that river.

I'm also sure that they have gutted out the other species incidentally. Kings, steelhead, big dollies, etc. Mortality rates must be pretty high as they leave thier net out for a long time.

Its terrible that they shut down the whole river and have priority over the recreational fisherman. Why can't they fish hook and line like the rest of us? It's 2021.

Sorry for the rant. I had to get it out of my system.

Sorry the PS chum collapse was not from nets in the river, it was 100% commercial fishing in PS. As the local bio told me in 2005 "record harvest"

Also they are not shutting down the entire river itsbfrom hw 9 to the Baker river 1 day a week.
Get over it!

KerryS

Ignored Member
Nice. Sit behind your computer and do nothing…Perfect…dude.
You are something else. I point out the destruction our people have brought to the rivers and you make a feeble attempt at insulting me and accusing me of doing nothing.

Just because I think you might learn something. I spent 15 years working for one of the leading environmental remediation companies in the northwest and Alaska. I have worked on projects as small as removal of creosote pilings on Salish Sea beaches costing a few thousand dollars to Burlington Northern’s environmental disaster on the Skykomish River and the town of Skykomish which cost over $20,000,000 to clean up. I was a member of that company’s charitable contribution committee and help direct tens of thousands of dollars worth of expertise, equipment, materials, and monetary donations to area environmental organizations and groups including several of the region tribes.

hookedonthefly

You are something else. I point out the destruction our people have brought to the rivers and you make a feeble attempt at insulting me and accusing me of doing nothing.

Just because I think you might learn something. I spent 15 years working for one of the leading environmental remediation companies in the northwest and Alaska. I have worked on projects as small as removal of creosote pilings on Salish Sea beaches costing a few thousand dollars to Burlington Northern’s environmental disaster on the Skykomish River and the town of Skykomish which cost over $20,000,000 to clean up. I was a member of that company’s charitable contribution committee and help direct tens of thousands of dollars worth of expertise, equipment, materials, and monetary donations to area environmental organizations and groups including several of the region tribes.
In spite of insulting each other, that’s pretty cool.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info