New Fly Fisher -Skagit River

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
Yeah, but hey us white guys have taken damn good care of our rivers. We have taken away the estuaries and channelized the rest with dikes. We have cut down every tree along their banks and covered the ground with asphalt and concrete. Built gigantic concrete plugs in them blocking all that might move up the river and perhaps more important blocking all the materials the river needs to survive from flowing down the rivers. Yeah, us white guys are great stewards of the river.
And this my friends is what kills more fish than tribal in river nettin. Think of millions of fry and smolts that don't even reach reach the ocean.

moon1284

Who am I supposed to call out on the clear cutting of the entire watershed causing the sedimentation of the spawning grounds and raising the temperature of the streams? Who do I blame for diking and draining the estuaries taking the nurseries from the fish? Who built the miles and miles of dikes that have channelized the river removing the oxbows and sloughs the fish sheltered in during floods. Who should I say built the dams that have completely blocked fish passage and completely altered the makeup of the river by removing all materials from migrating down? Who?

Kill Whitey

Charles Sullivan

I see derelict nets every fall on the Nookie. They are all over. I've taken up fishing coho more so I see them more now. I've never seen one that was actively fishing or a danger to fish, honestly. They are a litter problem and a little disconcerting to see.
I think that they are mostly from fishermen who don't get their nets in prior to a large rain event. They tend to be up on shore or stuck into large woody debris. It's annoying but little threat to any fish.

Go Sox,
cds

nutsack angler

guide fish don't count
LOL maybe use pm next time GOTY. The only thing harder for Skagit rec anglers to understand than their own regulations is tribal nets in the river. The multi-day closures on the Skagit have stemmed from escalating threats of violence towards Skagit tribes coming directly from rec anglers. Racism runs deep in Skagit Valley and it's ironic when it comes to fishing because the treaty tribes are the only ones actively trying to improve it. Rec anglers are allergic to comprehending their cumulative impacts. The tribes didn't cut down the valley, build the dams, Mt Vernon, or the mono culture shit show down at the mouth... I will be the first to say that stewardship amongst all PS tribes is definitely not a shared value. However tribes in the Skagit definitely don't deserve to have rec-poached fish pics sent or guns pulled on them while they're out trying to get what's left. Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired of the ignorance that is keeping me off my mid-week runs :mad:

johnnyboy

All I'm saying is that if you take a trip down to the reservation and see the fish they are selling you would probably change your mind.

As a conservationist, it is really disappointing knowing that dozens of wild steelhead and hundreds of wild kings and silvers are being scooped up by gillnets at the end of thier journey. It definitely puts a big dent in the runs.

Sadly there is not enough fish around to satisfy both the rec angler and the tribes. We're just fighting over what's left at this point.

vader

LOL maybe use pm next time GOTY. The only thing harder for Skagit rec anglers to understand than their own regulations is tribal nets in the river. The multi-day closures on the Skagit have stemmed from escalating threats of violence towards Skagit tribes coming directly from rec anglers. Racism runs deep in Skagit Valley and it's ironic when it comes to fishing because the treaty tribes are the only ones actively trying to improve it. Rec anglers are allergic to comprehending their cumulative impacts. The tribes didn't cut down the valley, build the dams, Mt Vernon, or the mono culture shit show down at the mouth... I will be the first to say that stewardship amongst all PS tribes is definitely not a shared value. However tribes in the Skagit definitely don't deserve to have rec-poached fish pics sent or guns pulled on them while they're out trying to get what's left. Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired of the ignorance that is keeping me off my mid-week runs :mad:
Same thing happened on the Pukeallup. So 4 years ago the same rules were set up. Humpies bring out the best.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
All I'm saying is that if you take a trip down to the reservation and see the fish they are selling you would probably change your mind.

As a conservationist, it is really disappointing knowing that of dozens wild steelhead and hundreds of wild kings and silvers are being scooped up by gillnets at the end of thier journey. It definitely puts a big dent in the runs.

Sadly there is not enough fish around to satisfy both the rec angler and the tribes. We're just fighting over what's left at this point.

What don't you get, the tribes are the last in line. They don't fish in AK, BC or the WA coast ocean waters. They are smarter than us and wait until they are fully grown and wait for the salmon to come to them.

vader

As a conservationist, it is really disappointing knowing that dozens of wild steelhead and hundreds of wild kings and silvers are being scooped up by gillnets at the end of thier journey. It definitely puts a big dent in the runs.

This is the reason so many are pissed at the tribes and closing the rivers.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts