Pass

Chris Johnson

I was a bit lazy and left my mid trolling behind me under an indicator. I hooked the biggest rainbow I have ever landed in that lake at a bit over 24"
That happened to me one time, moving from one spot to another. Kicking as fast as I could draging my chironomid and a fish slammed it.

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
Pass seems to have changed a lot recently. Aquatic veg in the lake has exploded, choking off massive sections of the shoreline and shallower bays. Compared to five, six years ago it's a pretty stark change.
The algae never closed the lake before from my recollection, so not a great sign there. Some of my favorite days on the lake were in the thick of the algae, which would still be present in November some years.

ceviche

I've fished Pass for over 35 years, at most 3 or 4 times a year. Not sure that I agree it is hit or miss. On one chilly occasion, I only caught 1 fish all day. A fat and feisty 15" brown that brushed off the skunk right before I was about to force fin it back to the put in against the wind. An hour later I thought that brown just suckered me in. I started trolling back as fast as the force would take me to where I parked my truck. I was a bit lazy and left my mid trolling behind me under an indicator. I hooked the biggest rainbow I have ever landed in that lake at a bit over 24". It jumped and belly flopped right in front of another guy in a tube and, after I landed it, he joked that it was the most excited he had been all day. I've caught more than my share of 20-22" rainbows out of that lake over the years but that one was the most memorable because of the huge jump and because I was just being lazy when I hooked it. The size was cool too although it wasn't the prettiest fish. The browns are the biggest prize in that lake but, I tend not to fish it at dusk and after dark anymore. I liked the fitness of the rainbows I caught last March but nothing over 18". They will have grown by October. Is a miss 0 fish and a hit is 1 or more?

"Power trolling" can shake a skunk. More often than not, it doesn't even matter what fly you're using. I've seen skating drys behind a floating line and streamers and nymphs behind sinking lines trolled with enough speed turn up fish that snapped the fly off.

I was with a friend fishing this one lake, way back several years ago. I had a electric trolling motor on my canoe, and we were scooting along to get to the other side of the lake. He has this Muddler Minnow trailing behind the canoe, and, out of nowhere, some fish slams his fly and snaps it off. We're both like, "WTF?!" He re-rigs. Before we make it to the otherwise, the same thing happens again.

Just saying...

chris stiemert

WFF Premium
I’d wait until at least mid October - even if opens before - last year wasn’t as bad heat wise and they were still lethargic late into September And early October -

Porter

The last few times I have been to Deception I have skipped Pass and fished Cranberry, its always good for a a few 10"-16" rainbows and an occasional Brown trout. Plus a 5 minute walk puts you on the beach for some salt water fishing which can be very good at times.

nwtroutguy

The Tug Is The Drug
Still closed as of noon today. :(
Wannative,

2 questions out of curiosity because seeing we had such a warm summer and I have not been up that way, I am trying to gauge when I might be able to get up there.

How did the water look..? Is it clearing up at all..?

Thanks in advance

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
We drove by Pass last Saturday and really didn’t think the water looked that bad. There was some green scum along the shoreline near the cove and down towards the launch as we drove south.
I’ve seen the water color look worse in years where it hasn’t been closed.
SF

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
Wannative,

2 questions out of curiosity because seeing we had such a warm summer and I have not been up that way, I am trying to gauge when I might be able to get up there.

How did the water look..? Is it clearing up at all..?

Thanks in advance
What @Stonefish said.
It's hard to say. With the rain, wind and cooler weather I would think some time in the next couple weeks hopefully.
A lake who's name escapes me down south of Centralia was just recently closed due to toxic algae contamination less than a week ago. That kind of makes me wonder about Pass opening anytime soon.
I wish there was a place to access testing results.

nwtroutguy

The Tug Is The Drug
What @Stonefish said.
It's hard to say. With the rain, wind and cooler weather I would think some time in the next couple weeks hopefully.
A lake who's name escapes me down south of Centralia was just recently closed due to toxic algae contamination less than a week ago. That kind of makes me wonder about Pass opening anytime soon.
I wish there was a place to access testing results.
Ok, thats about what I figured. I know the wind helps to dissipate it pretty good, but we need some cooler temps at night to kill it.

I will certainly give a report and update to the conditions when I go.

Thank you

Mark Yoshida

Detailed search for your lake​

This database contains the most current toxicity data available. All instances of values above the recreational guidelines are kept as up to date as possible, but values below the guidelines may be somewhat delayed in entry.Since there is a lag time from the date of sample to the date of analysis, be sure to check the sample date when looking at data or before you use the lake. Remember to use caution and avoid scums. "When in doubt, stay out!"

Your local jurisdiction may have more specific information about your lake. Questions? Contact Lizbeth Seebacher at Department of Ecology.

If a lake is not listed, it has not been tested for toxic algae through the Ecology program.

The pins on the map represent the center of small lakes, regardless of where the sample was taken. To find more precise location information, download the toxin data and click the "view scum info" link. That is where specific sampling location information will be if it was provided. On larger lakes, (such as Lake Washington, Moses Lake and Potholes) pins represent the location of the sample if provided.

Toxin:
CountyWRIA NumberSiteCollect DateParameterToxin Conc. (µg/L)MDL (µg/L)Above State GuidelineAdditional InformationSample LocationEcology Tracking Number
Skagit3Pass Lake09/20/2021Anatoxin-a26085.0000.010YesNoBoat RampPASSSKAG174_21_409

Lumpy

The last few times I have been to Deception I have skipped Pass and fished Cranberry, its always good for a a few 10"-16" rainbows and an occasional Brown trout. Plus a 5 minute walk puts you on the beach for some salt water fishing which can be very good at times.
And if Seabolts is open you can get some dang good chowder.

Eastside

And if Seabolts is open you can get some dang good chowder.
It’s open, but a week ago they had limited staff and were slammed by the take-out crowd, so we didn’t eat there. Moved our son to Oak Harbor for his new job. Nice part of Washington State!

FWIW we have a toxic algae bloom in the Columbia River around Richland. A dog got sick after being in the water near Ringold. I grew up here and NEVER have heard of that happening in the river.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts