Bush Point beach fishing

McFly

McFly
Fished Bush Point today for Pinks. Everything seemed good (tide, weather, fly etc), but there were very few fish around. Fished for 4 hours from mid to high tide. I talked to a guy who said Wednesday everyone was slaying them.

A second item to mention is the area about 100 to 200 feet north of the launch there’s a sign below one of the houses that says no fishing and there’s a guy on the beach telling folks they can’t stand or fish on that stretch of the beach. Anyone know is this for real or just BS?

Fotdesign

I fished there yesterday morning and again this morning. Caught one yesterday and lost two more. Then caught two this morning. Talking to the locals, it is true that there is a section in front of the houses that you have to have a local permit to fish.

I caught all my fish right in front of the ramp. The gear fisherman were friendly and gave me plenty of casting room.

It did seem that Thursday was more active. Also met a nice group from the Olympic Fly Fishers club.

Attachments

• EEAAB324-034E-4867-BB91-FEEB263444DE.jpeg
    EEAAB324-034E-4867-BB91-FEEB263444DE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • D892D761-D5A5-4AE3-BDB9-4E580E549ECE.jpeg
    D892D761-D5A5-4AE3-BDB9-4E580E549ECE.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 72

johnnyboy

I hang out there quite often as I live just a few minutes away. Obviously it can turn into a combat fishing buzz-bomb slinging fest during the odd years. (I've also seen 300+ people fish there during an even year too). It isn't my favorite spot since it seems to be much more tide dependant than other beaches, as the window of opportunity each bite seems shorter than most spots.

As far as private property goes, Island County is very strict on beach access, mainly because of a few incidents that happened a few years back. If a homeowner calls the sheriff on you, he will show up.

Good memories off that beach. Used to be a resort there where you could rent a boat, buy bait, and motor out. I've even witnessed a few drunk fights in the surf over the years too.

Last edited:

DimeBrite

5X Celebrity Jeopardy Champion
Fished Bush Point today for Pinks. Everything seemed good (tide, weather, fly etc), but there were very few fish around. Fished for 4 hours from mid to high tide. I talked to a guy who said Wednesday everyone was slaying them.

A second item to mention is the area about 100 to 200 feet north of the launch there’s a sign below one of the houses that says no fishing and there’s a guy on the beach telling folks they can’t stand or fish on that stretch of the beach. Anyone know is this for real or just BS?
You must not fish in front of those houses, but can walk past them to the north. Respect the home owners and pick up any trash you see. Bush Point has plenty of pink salmon right now, but it will slowly decline by 2nd week of September. Good luck.

N. Metz

What is the general consensus on the usual run timing for pinks? In past years, the peak seems to be the 2nd and third week in August with a taper of a few weeks. South sound is a bit different, the above is my experience further north.

I saw Dimebrites post above. What have others experienced?

Snopro

As far as private property goes, Island County is very strict on beach access, mainly because of a few incidents that happened a few years back. If a homeowner calls the sheriff on you, he will show up.
You have crazy rules up there. ;) IMO below hightide mark should be fair game for all. Enforce the "incidents" and don't cut off access to everyone.

Has anyone tried fishing a kayak or SUP off the beach in 5' of water, or 5" if you want to stir the pot? Might have some good fishing mostly to yourself.

One thing Oregon did right was keeping marine beaches open to all. Thanks Tom.

johnnyboy

You have crazy rules up there. ;) IMO below hightide mark should be fair game for all. Enforce the "incidents" and don't cut off access to everyone.

Has anyone tried fishing a kayak or SUP off the beach in 5' of water, or 5" if you want to stir the pot? Might have some good fishing mostly to yourself.

One thing Oregon did right was keeping marine beaches open to all. Thanks Tom.
If you are in a kayak or something you are fine legally. It may piss a few people off but they can't do anything about it.

Even as someone who is pretty conservative, I would like to see tidelands be public for all some day. Unfortunatly our state has so many bozos who trash the beaches that this would never happen.

Matt B

WFF Premium
If you are in a kayak or something you are fine legally. It may piss a few people off but they can't do anything about it.

Even as someone who is pretty conservative, I would like to see tidelands be public for all some day. Unfortunatly our state has so many bozos who trash the beaches that this would never happen.
Since the concept of tidelands being open to all in a codified sense goes back to Justinian, I’d say that’s a conservative view. Maybe not right wing, but conservative.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts