Rod Building Newest build Proof 2/3 Trout Spey - Updated

Westelyea

Its been almost 10 years since I've been on this forum. I actually had to create a new user name since I my old email has been out of use for so long.

Anyways, I wanted to jump back in and participate. I love fishing, tying and building. Just picked up a new lathe so I can also begin to build my own components. Here's a few pics from a proof 2/3 trout spey I am building for the kids. I am looking forward to having them learn on that rod.

Proof is an interesting company. Super cool resources and great building products. Once I cast their blanks I will prove a few thoughts on them.

I also am in the middle of 4 other builds. All on Northfork Composit blanks. 2 glass rods, 1 8wt spey, and a ultra light casting rod for my son who lives to bass fish.

IMG-7967.jpg IMG-7982.jpg IMG-8018.jpg

Ryan Janos

I cast a Proof 12'6" 6wt and it stood up side by side with Loop, Sage and Redington models. Now, I'm an advanced beginner when it comes to spey casting, so my opinion's not worth much, but I bet your kids will have a great time with the finished product.

And welcome back to the board!

CDone

Nice, I'm in the middle of building 2 Proof 11' 8wt switches, blanks seem very fast, sure they will chuck the line out there. Guess we are allowed to talk about Proof blanks here? I got booted from a Facebook group for mentioning them.

Westelyea

Nice, I'm in the middle of building 2 Proof 11' 8wt switches, blanks seem very fast, sure they will chuck the line out there. Guess we are allowed to talk about Proof blanks here? I got booted from a Facebook group for mentioning them.
Oh I don't know if its allowed or not. Is there a controversy with them?

Westelyea

Update: I finished and casted with a 200 grain OPST Com head. It cast quite nicely. I am really impressed. This might be the best bang for your buck rod that I have built. Nothing fancy in terms of components, but for a first time rod builder this will yield a very nice rod.

CDone

Oh I don't know if its allowed or not. Is there a controversy with them?
not sure about any controversy, Matt Draft has always been great to deal with, have used lots of his components this is the first time using his blanks. I think there might be a little tiff between suppliers and my comments on a certain Facebook rod building page providing positive feedback on Proof products was not appreciated I guess. Your thoughts on the blank echo mine, great blank for the buck and a great way to get into the hobby of rod building, and for someone like me that builds for customers it is always great to have options that allow you to meet all budgets.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts