Jack Mackerel - A lesser known fish of our part of the Pacific

SilverFly

I've long admired how your gullet influences your fishing decisions. You would have done well as a commercial fisher dude in 15th century Japan or 8th century Italy.

Or Norway. I'd be willing to bet he has some Scandahoovian roots.

SilverFly

Good guess ;)

I knew it, a brutha from anotha mutha! ;)

Yup, besides making me eat lutefisk (uff da!), Dad got me into fly fishing, loved the sport, and was totally OK releasing fish that he couldn't kill with a clear conscience. But he always was about the best way to cook or smoke a fish - especially something new like these little beauties . He'd have been all over wanting to grill up a pile of jack mackerel - but not before hypothesizing 15 different ways to catch them... apparently it's futile to resist genetic programming. Damn I miss that guy.

Last edited:

SilverFly

The ones I've encountered have been about twice that size. Though I've failed to get photos other than the filet shot I originally posted. Still, I could make a tasty snack out of a few that size.

Definitely smaller than the ones I've encountered in previous years. Good to know you've caught some bigger ones this year. Although I'm starting to wonder about the pair of "yellowtail" I saw last year. I assumed they weren't these guys being far bigger (guessing 6-8lbs) and IIRC, a bit deeper bodied. The other weird thing about those fish is they were swimming side by side. Not sure I'd be disappointed if I landed an 8lb yellowtail and it turned out to be a jack mackerel.

Nick Clayton

WFF Premium
Caught a load of these offshore in years past, never considered eating them. I'll definitely try next time I encounter them.

Funny enough, for as many as I have caught, I don't think I've ever caught one bigger than maybe a lb or so.

Brute

WFF Premium
I also think they look similar to opelu…which I consider good eating. My favorite way to eat opelu is to butterfly them open, remove the backbone and brine or salt them…then stick them in the dry box. After they are dried, put them on the grill to heat and soften them up, and eat with the hands while swilling ice cold beer…

Brute

WFF Premium
And if they are similar to opelu or akule, you might be able to catch them like we did in Hawaii…at night, hanging a waterproof light to attract zooplankton, which attracts the fish…and catch them on small size 8 flies…

SilverFly

Hadn't been to our favorite sushi place in a while, and thanks to this thread, had to try a new menu item. Not jack mackerel, but "Hamachi Kama". Grilled yellowtail collar. Seriously some of the most delicious fish I've ever had. If these "mackerel" taste anything like it, then I totally get why @Evan Burck is wondering why they're not a coveted target species.

Brute

WFF Premium
Hadn't been to our favorite sushi place in a while, and thanks to this thread, had to try a new menu item. Not jack mackerel, but "Hamachi Kama". Grilled yellowtail collar. Seriously some of the most delicious fish I've ever had. If these "mackerel" taste anything like it, then I totally get why @Evan Burck is wondering why they're not a coveted target species.
Hamachi is a yellowtail…in the amberjack family

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
They're not exactly alike but about on the same level. Hamachi is one of if not my favorite sashimi.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info