My Friend capsized at Gray’s Harbor bar and lost a drybag containing a camera

Zak

WFF Premium
Crazy story of tragedy narrowly averted here:

https://alexsidles.com/trip-reports/grays-canyon-21-22-aug-2021

TLDR: Alex did a 24-hour kayak paddle out to Gray's Canyon to look at birds. He got caught in following seas returning on an ebb tide at Gray’s Harbor bar and capsized. He was rescued but his kayak and camera in a dry bag were not. The kayak was later recovered at sea. He thinks the camera is probably ruined, but wants the memory card because he has pictures of once-in-a-lifetime birds from the trip.

If anyone finds a dry bag bobbing around in the ocean and it has a camera in it, please me know and I'll put you in touch with him.

Thanks!

Zak

NRC

WFF Premium
I hesitate to weigh in given that I don’t know your friend. And I don’t know much about sea kayaking. But my read on the situation is that what he chose to do was foolhardy, put others at risk, and could easily have orphaned his kids. Which I would hesitate to label as courageous. Ballsy, certainly. If I were his wife, he’d be getting some serious cold shoulder for the foreseeable.

Zak

WFF Premium
I hesitate to weigh in given that I don’t know your friend. And I don’t know much about sea kayaking. But my read on the situation is that what he chose to do was foolhardy, put others at risk, and could easily have orphaned his kids. Which I would hesitate to label as courageous. Ballsy, certainly. If I were his wife, he’d be getting some serious cold shoulder for the foreseeable.
My comment about his bravery was directed to his military service. I think he might be experiencing the cold shoulder! He seems like an expert kayaker (though somehow doesn't know how to roll his sea kayak). He certainly has gone on long, remote kayak trips many times before, and carries lots of safety gear. But, I hear ya!

NRC

WFF Premium
My comment about his bravery was directed to his military service. I think he might be experiencing the cold shoulder! He seems like an expert kayaker (though somehow doesn't know how to roll his sea kayak). He certainly has gone on long, remote kayak trips many times before, and carries lots of safety gear. But, I hear ya!
Yeah you’re getting at the funny mixture that perplexes me about his story! He clearly knows the situation was fubar, but doesn’t express a ton of contrition. He clearly had great endurance and ample experience…but gets miserably seasick and can’t flip his yak.

I work in the marine industry but am a relative newcomer. So I’m always trying to judge stuff like this through my mariner colleagues’ eyes. And it does not strike me as something they’d look too kindly on. But he’s certainly got a story to tell now!

Reactions: Zak

NRC

WFF Premium
I should also probably recheck the definition of orphan :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Zak

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info