Westport Tuna Trip - 8/27/2021

SilverFly

Solid work guys!

Here's what I'm loving about reports like this. Fly crews are continuing to get it done - on par with bait crews - AND in challenging conditions. Every successful fly trip erodes away at any remnant ideas that fly fishing is an offshore novelty, or the success we've had is somehow a fluke.

But yeah, I'd love to understand what's going on with the "short attention span" ("ADHD" bite?) fish that hit on the troll, but refuse to come up at a stop. Which is weird because they're obviously hungry enough to expend serious energy to chase down high-speed prey at the surface, but not lazily pick off slow moving flies and bait. Likely we'll never know but I'd be curious if anyone took note of stomach contents.

Whatever the reasons, it's great to hear that casting on the slide is still an effective, and legit fly tactic. Especially since it can be done with zero chum. Also glad to hear that @Jake was taking notes on stack mending to get deep. Doesn't always work, or is always necessary for that matter, but it's an important tool in the tuna shed (that can also get you spooled by ...?).

I would like @SilverFly to take note though at how few high-stickers we had....or maybe he needs to just get a glass 12wt...LoL
View attachment 293595

Just so you know Mr Smartypants, :p, I haven't blown up a rod since 2019! :rolleyes:

Actually I do own a glass rod. Rich (@veilside180sx) has seen me in action which is probably why he built me this hybrid glass/graphite rod. From last year, same corner of the boat. Amazingly it's still in one piece!

_DSC7697-01.jpeg
_DSC7723-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Vandelay Industries

A wholly owned subsidiary of Kramerica Industries
Solid work guys!

Here's what I'm loving about reports like this. Fly crews are continuing to get it done - on par with bait crews - AND in challenging conditions. Every successful fly trip erodes away at any remnant ideas that fly fishing is an offshore novelty, or the success we've had is somehow a fluke.

But yeah, I'd love to understand what's going on with the "short attention span" ("ADHD" bite?) fish that hit on the troll, but refuse to come up at a stop. Which is weird because they're obviously hungry enough to expend serious energy to chase down high-speed prey at the surface, but not lazily pick off slow moving flies and bait. Likely we'll never know but I'd be curious if anyone took note of stomach contents.

Whatever the reasons, it's great to hear that casting on the slide is still an effective, and legit fly tactic. Especially since it can be done with zero chum. Also glad to hear that @Jake was taking notes on stack mending to get deep. Doesn't always work, or is always necessary for that matter, but it's an important tool in the tuna shed (that can also get you spooled).

Just so you know Mr Smartypants, :p, I haven't blown up a rod since 2019! :rolleyes:

Actually I do own a glass rod. Rich (@veilside180sx) has seen me in action which is probably why he built me this hybrid glass/graphite rod. From last year, same corner of the boat. Amazingly it's still in one piece!

View attachment 293639
View attachment 293640
Thanks, @SilverFly!

I appreciate all the info and intel you've provided to the forum. Lots of good information, which was very helpful.

I'm excited to do this again in the future.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium

oh yeah, that's right....I got one of those blanks from Rich, now just need to build it up.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
just came off the Traeger....
NdgAIP7.jpg

Bagman

On 8/27/2021, @Jake, @Clarkman, @Steve_S, @tyler, and I did a tuna trip out of Westport with @Nick Clayton and his deckhand Evan of All Rivers and Saltwater Charters.

We had a great time. Nick and Evan did a great job getting us into fish. Most of us did not have any prior albacore fly fishing experience and they made it an excellent time.

At the end of the day we end up with 21 fish, which we were very happy with.

Nick and Evan worked very hard to put us on fish and we had some steady fishing for a while. I highly recommend booking him for a trip, especially if you want to fly fish.

The majority, if not all, the fish were caught on the troll or on the slide after hooking the first fish on the troll.

We did multiple stops after hooking fishing on the troll but the fish only seemed interested in trolled flies. Every time that the boat would begin trolling, the fish would start hitting flies. The other bait boats were also experiencing the same results.

Multiple flies and colors worked, as long as it was in the water.

Overall it was a great trip and experience. This is an amazing fishery and fishing with Nick was a lot of fun. I learned a lot from the experience. Definitely looking forward to doing it again next year.

@Jake, @Clarkman, @Steve_S, @tyler, and @Nick Clayton, please feel free to add additional details and photos.

Below are some of mine and others pictures from the day. Feel free to add more photos, guys.
View attachment 293558
View attachment 293559
View attachment 293560
View attachment 293561 View attachment 293563
View attachment 293564
Half our catch.
View attachment 293565
View attachment 293567
View attachment 293568 View attachment 293569
View attachment 293570
View attachment 293571
View attachment 293582
View attachment 293572
View attachment 293573 View attachment 293574 View attachment 293575 View attachment 293577 View attachment 293578 View attachment 293579 View attachment 293580
The end result.
View attachment 293583 View attachment 293584
This is just too good to here, I was starting to worry having not heard any reports in some time. I’m so happy I wet my plants.

Matt B

WFF Premium
just came off the Traeger....
NdgAIP7.jpg
I’m going to cut bellies into strips like that next time I get a chance. Not sure why I’ve never thought of that before; I’ve always just cut them in half down the middle. Albacore loin cut into strips and smoked is pretty damn great too.

What is it @SilverFly, 10 or 15 minutes in salt, rinse, pat dry and smoke? I can never remember. It’s waaaay less time than you want salmon in brine though. Made that mistake once. Even though it was way hella salty it still made a good tuna salad sandwich, just didn’t need any other salt at all.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
I’m going to cut bellies into strips like that next time I get a chance. Not sure why I’ve never thought of that before; I’ve always just cut them in half down the middle. Albacore loin cut into strips and smoked is pretty damn great too.

What is it @SilverFly, 10 or 15 minutes in salt, rinse, pat dry and smoke? I can never remember. It’s waaaay less time than you want salmon in brine though. Made that mistake once. Even though it was way hella salty it still made a good tuna salad sandwich, just didn’t need any other salt at all.
I actually went with a wet brine overnight and really like how it turned out. I guess I'm gonna have to go out and catch some more so that I can experiment more... :D :D

SilverFly

10 min packed in rock salt sounds right but I'd have to check. Found that recipe on the ifish saltwater forum. Plenty more there.

Bagman

10 min packed in rock salt sounds right but I'd have to check. Found that recipe on the ifish saltwater forum. Plenty more there.
Not real sure you should use “rock salt” it is normally not for human consumption, so it is not as clean as normal salt.

Can someone tell me where to buy saltwater ice in the WP area. If I’m lucky enough I will need some to hold all the tuna that we are going to catch on my two days on the water.

Nick Clayton

WFF Premium
Not real sure you should use “rock salt” it is normally not for human consumption, so it is not as clean as normal salt.

Can someone tell me where to buy saltwater ice in the WP area. If I’m lucky enough I will need some to hold all the tuna that we are going to catch on my two days on the water.

Merinos

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
Also glad to hear that @Jake was taking notes on stack mending to get deep. Doesn't always work, or is always necessary for that matter, but it's an important tool in the tuna shed (that can also get you spooled by ...?).
With 1000+ (Maybe 1200? It was over 1000 but I must admit I blacked out when I saw the price) yards of backing on the reel, I would love the challenge of fighting something that could spool it. I’m *hopefully* setup for bluefin, but I’d also take a crack at that striped marlin folks saw earlier in the year.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info