NFR Yesterday might be a day to remember

Swimmy

This could go in the stoke thread but feel it is worthy of its own.

I spent this past weekend helping my 19 yr old step-son move back in to UofM where he is starting his sophomore year. Great kid.

The past few years he got into spin fishing with some of his buddies. He knew I was into fly fishing but I never pushed it on him. A couple of months ago we took him out for a drift and got a fly rod in his hands. You could tell he dug it but again, I didn't press him.

As we were winding down our visit yesterday, he asked if I'd be willing to go to the store and help him pick out a fly rod. Boom. Of course and I was honored he asked me to help.

So we went to the local sporting goods store and bought a 9'5wt package, picked out a few flies, and talked a little about some spots around Missoula (obviously he's got incredible water within a stones throw.)

It was just a pretty cool moment together. Hopefully this is just the beginning.

Swimmy

That's awesome but you do know that it could end up being detrimental to his grades right? :D

I told him don't even bother to call if it was to let us know he was dropping out of school to become a guide.
JSDFwlvf_o.gif

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Premium
My niece is 17, and my two nephews 18 and 21. I taught both of my nephews to fly fish and was there when Jackson the older caught his first fish on a fly rod with a fly he had chosen and tied on while camping with him and they whole family. I got a grainy picture of him standing on the rock in front of our campsite.. we were camped right on the river out pass Roslyn!

I built my niece a hot pink spinning rod (it was painted by a friend who paints cars and took 7 layers of paint and sparkle!) and took her fishing a few times when she was little! She hasn't show much of an interest yet, but she does like to camp and does a few outdoor things. She's focused on her first job, first car and her 3rd or 4th boyfriend who she wants to be close too when they both start college!! She's a senior this year!

So I hope to have the same experience and am pretty sure I will with my nephews. Both love the outdoors and climb with their dad and hike. I gave my nephews my old Cortland 8 1/2 foot fly rod, line and reel and they and his parents can afford what they need!

Bruce Baker

Yes, this deserves to stand out on its own thread. Knowing how much you dig the outdoors and fly fishing, I am sure you so wanted to get him into fly fishing, but it was great that you held off and let him come to you. Great parenting! Hopefully it will lead into something more and build a great bond between the both of you.

Shad

Good for you (both of you)! Teach him to row, so you can fish for a change!

One of my few regrets that stick with me is that none of my daughters really got into fishing with me. I tried... maybe too hard. They'll go with me once in a blue moon, but only to appease me....

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
One of my few regrets that stick with me is that none of my daughters really got into fishing with me. I tried... maybe too hard. They'll go with me once in a blue moon, but only to appease me....

Why is that one of your regrets for their decision? I ask in the least incendiary way possible (definitely not my intent to come off that way). I've attempted to get my son into it, but not all kids give a crap about fishing. Mine certainly doesn't (at least until it comes from someone other than dad). It's never going to be something I'm going to force down his throat either. But, he absolutely loves riding in my inflatable kayak and camping, so we do just do a lot of that instead....while I have a fly rod on board, you know, just in case.

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
@Swimmy - IMHO the title should be "Yesterday will be a day I remember". You are very fortunate to of experienced that.

My daughters do not fish unfortunately. I get that. But the oldest will sit down with me periodically and tie up some flies.

I am also with you, my youngest daughter will be off to school for her senior year. It gets very quiet around here when she is away...

Swimmy

I should probably acknowledge the guys over at Echo. The rod package was the Echo Lift with reel and line. I thought about @Evan Burck when I saw it and that definitely influenced my spend. But also seemed like a great value.

I went ahead and loaded up a box of flies for him today. Worms, buggers, nymphs, a few dries. Doubt he'll know what each fly is but also don't think it really matters as he'll probably lose most of 'em before he ever gets into a fish.

It all kind of brings me back to when I was just learning.

NW_flyfisher

if it's not this, then what?

I spent this past weekend helping my 19 yr old step-son move back in to UofM where he is starting his sophomore year. Great kid.

The past few years he got into spin fishing with some of his buddies. He knew I was into fly fishing but I never pushed it on him. A couple of months ago we took him out for a drift and got a fly rod in his hands. You could tell he dug it but again, I didn't press him.

As we were winding down our visit yesterday, he asked if I'd be willing to go to the store and help him pick out a fly rod. Boom. Of course and I was honored he asked me to help.

So we went to the local sporting goods store and bought a 9'5wt package, picked out a few flies, and talked a little about some spots around Missoula (obviously he's got incredible water within a stones throw.)

It was just a pretty cool moment together. Hopefully this is just the beginning.
C656514F-FA38-4DC4-95A5-0D3936BEB41C.jpeg
I know the feeling. Here’s my 24 year old son’s first trout on a dry fly. Lower Deschutes out of Bend, OR.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium

Just wondering why you labeled this nfr?

JACKspASS

Why is that one of your regrets for their decision? I ask in the least incendiary way possible (definitely not my intent to come off that way). I've attempted to get my son into it, but not all kids give a crap about fishing. Mine certainly doesn't (at least until it comes from someone other than dad). It's never going to be something I'm going to force down his throat either. But, he absolutely loves riding in my inflatable kayak and camping, so we do just do a lot of that instead....while I have a fly rod on board, you know, just in case.

I would never fish with you either, those alligators with fins, the size of a small inflatable....no thank you

jasmillo

WFF Premium
That's awesome but you do know that it could end up being detrimental to his grades right? :D

I agree with this 100% though he’s from Montana and made it this far. I got an undergrad and grad degree from UM and am still amazed to this day I finished. Thank god for Montana winters and the fact my body seems to function fairly well on minimal sleep….

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts