Disabled fishing access

cleanwilly

Coldspotter
Hey all. I'm trying to think of a place where I can take my mid 80's brother to get in a few casts. He fished quite a bit when he was younger but now needs a walker and would like to get out. Floating isn't an option, so somewhere along a smallish stream or lake that would allow him to cast (a short distance) from shore. I just drove over and checked out Trophy Lake near Port Orchard and that would possibly work but would prefer something other than a 'trout pond'. Quality of fishing is not as important as just getting out. Thoughts?

CreekScrambler

It’s close to a trout pond, but Rocky Ford creek has a nice dock for placard holders if that applies. Probably too much of a drive from the Pt. Orchard area. If you have any contacts with fishy waterfront property owners, now would be a good time to brandish a bottle of something nice for access.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
Is there a reason you can't do a float?

The best man in my wedding and I did that the day before. He's wheelchair bound, but we just lifted him into the drift boat and did a 4 hour drift/fish down the McKenzie.

Matt B

WFF Premium
Hey all. I'm trying to think of a place where I can take my mid 80's brother to get in a few casts. He fished quite a bit when he was younger but now needs a walker and would like to get out. Floating isn't an option, so somewhere along a smallish stream or lake that would allow him to cast (a short distance) from shore. I just drove over and checked out Trophy Lake near Port Orchard and that would possibly work but would prefer something other than a 'trout pond'. Quality of fishing is not as important as just getting out. Thoughts?
Puget Sound?

hookedonthefly

A thought if it’s in the financial cards…Hire a very excellent guide. I took a lot of physically challenged and elderly individuals down the river. I was like stink on…to be super safe.The oldest was 89. A trip he and I will never forget. RIP Bill.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Premium
A bit of a drive, but there is access at both hatcheries on the Cowlitz.
The river might be a bit low but there will be some cutthroat around.
SF

View attachment 294069 View attachment 294070
I second the handicapped access at Blue Creek. The access is good and the searun cuts do stack in the outlet channel especially as September unfolds. He can have some fun and you are allowed to assist him.
Steve

Steve Saville

WFF Premium
Couple years back before Covid, my buddy and I were standing on the ramp at Blue Creek and a fellow on the handicapped pad hooked a big steelhead. He had no way of landing it from a wheelchair. Two guys in a boat powered up and one jumped out with a net and helped the guy with the fish. It was about a 20 pound hatchery fish. That was one of the kindest, most sportsmanlike act I believe I have ever seen. The guy was over the moon as I suppose he hadn't even thought about hooking a fish but right there there are a bunch of cutthroat milling around. Could be a successful trip for you and your friend.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
Just an aside here. Humpy madness is upon us and folks will forego courtesy and common sense to get on the water and get theirs.
Yesterday at the Mount Vernon launch. There was a truck and empty boat trailer parked in the handicap spot. At the same time there is nearly a complete baseball field for extra parking during these times...but...you know...the handicap spot is right next to the launch.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
Just an aside here. Humpy madness is upon us and folks will forego courtesy and common sense to get on the water and get theirs.
Yesterday at the Mount Vernon launch. There was a truck and empty boat trailer parked in the handicap spot. At the same time there is nearly a complete baseball field for extra parking during these times...but...you know...the handicap spot is right next to the launch.

I'm guessing no placard? I woulda been calling the tow company myself on that one in a heartbeat.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts