Westport Tuna Sunday 9/5/21

SilverFly

Very brief. Tough fishing for everyone. No shortage of tuna out there, they're just reluctant to come up. Fishing was sporadic in the morning and dead in the afternoon. Even so, we put 11 onboard and lost 5. This was on par with the better boats running full crews fishing bait and standard troll lures. All ours were fly rod with a roughly even mix of troll, on the slide, and cast retrieve.

Nick Clayton

WFF Premium
Very brief. Tough fishing for everyone. No shortage of tuna out there, they're just reluctant to come up. Fishing was sporadic in the morning and dead in the afternoon. Even so, we put 11 onboard and lost 5. This was on par with the better boats running full crews fishing bait and standard troll lures. All ours were fly rod with a roughly even mix of troll, on the slide, and cast retrieve.

Guy took huge strides in building my confidence in fishing cast squid patterns while stopped. I think he hooked.....5 fish casting a smaller squid fly?

I believe Brian hooked two casting one of Dennis' awesome patterns that worked so well last year.

And after hearing the final tally, we were in 2nd place out of all the charters out there today. Wasn't spectacular fishing, but once again flies proved to be as effective as anything else.

PhilR

WFF Premium
That is so awesome that flies are keeping pace. And bringing home the same number of rods you left with. When we went, the guide’s buddy boat captain said something about break it over your knee now to save the trouble. We’ve come a long way.

SilverFly

What color were the squid flies? Standard pink?
The Kraken was released several times on the troll - especially after a marlin sighting in the area. It did catch the first fish of the day and had one whack on the slide but nada after that.

20200930_171114.jpg

That slide whack inspired me pick a smaller squid pattern. Sorry no pic, but the squid fly that got the rest of my hookups was a simple, very pale pink, almost white pattern about 4" long.

SilverFly

Had a great time fishing with you guys today, I have to say Brian contributed to me with one of my hook up by chumming so it doesn’t count. I plan on doing this again in the future.
It was great to fish with you Dennis. Looking forward to tuna again next year and maybe a surf dory trip for rockfish/lings/coho.

And yes, very thoughtful of Brian to help you out like that. Such a kind and supportive friend. ;)

Last edited:

JayB

The Kraken was released several times on the troll - especially after a marlin sighting in the area. It did catch the first fish of the day and had one whack on the slide but nada after that.

View attachment 294384

That slide whack inspired me pick a smaller squid pattern. Sorry no pic, but the squid fly that got the rest of my hookups was a simple, very pale pink, almost white pattern about 4" long.
Cool. Thanks. I've got some "Silvey's Squid" patterns that have been hibernating in a box for several years. Will add a few to the box I bring along. 20210906_110009.jpg

Last edited:

SilverFly

Cool. Thanks. I've got some "Silvey's Squid" patterns that have been hibernating in a box for several years. Will add a few to the box I bring along. View attachment 294411

Heck yeah. That will get hammered trolling (if you're so inclined) and a more reasonable size to fish cast/retrieve.

The Kraken got hit again yesterday on the troll and had one whack on the slide that didn't stick. As a troll pattern its now been hit on 6 out of 7 trips.

BTW, it was super tough fishing for us on a new charter (thumbs up to the boat and crew though).
Nick, not surprisingly, had a stellar day. More on that later. On my way to the dock now for day 3.

Nick Clayton

WFF Premium
Yes we did! Though it was my first tuna trip so nothing to compare it to. But from the stories I've heard from this season, I think we did alright. Not a fly fish specific trip, but we did get a good bait stop where two fish were landed on cast flies.

Watching @SciGuy and his 17 year old son cast and hook fly caught albacore from the bow in nearly consecutive casts was the highlight of my season thus far. I wish @mtskibum16 could have got one as well but he was far too busy crushing fish with live anchovies. Such a fun day!

Today was much tougher unfortunately. Such has been the 2021 albacore season

Last edited:

SciGuy

Watching @SciGuy and his 17 year old son cast and hook fly caught albacore from the bow in nearly consecutive casts was the highlight of my season thus far. I wish @mtskibum16 could have got one as well but he was far too busy crushing fish with live anchovies. Such a fun day!

Today was much tougher unfortunately. Such has been the 2021 albacore season
Awesome job @Nick Clayton - it was great to fish with you again after so many years together on the beach. @mtskibum16 and I lost our tuna virginity and had an absolute blast. The mayhem when the fish were in a frenzy was surreal. I’ll trim one of my GoPro clips and post here when I get the time.

SilverFly

Awesome job @Nick Clayton - it was great to fish with you again after so many years together on the beach. @mtskibum16 and I lost our tuna virginity and had an absolute blast. The mayhem when the fish were in a frenzy was surreal. I’ll trim one of my GoPro clips and post here when I get the time.

That's how it's supposed to go out there. I love getting them on the fly, but I tell people that haven't experienced albacore fishing to do a live bait trip at least once. Surreal is a fitting description.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts