Westport Tuna Sunday 9/5/21

SilverFly

Cool. Thanks. I've got some "Silvey's Squid" patterns that have been hibernating in a box for several years. Will add a few to the box I bring along. View attachment 294411

Based on my relatively OK results over 3 days of very tough fishing (for most boats) - I'd fish that thing in a heartbeat. Not sure the exact count but I hooked 6-7 total, all on squid patterns, and had a few whacks that didn't stick. Baitfish patterns were working at times for others though. I just didn't fish them much.

Including the whacks I should have landed close to 10 fish this week. The really sucky part is a lost fish can result in a lost school. Especially troll hookups which is how the party is typically started. Any of those lost fish may have been fleeting opportunities to establish contact with a school of eager, fly-eating biters. I which case I'd be eating a bowl of ibuprofen for breakfast right now.

The Kraken is now retired - but not for lack of attention from the tuna. It got hit every day this week. Including slightly smaller versions, on all but one of my last 8 trips over 3 years. I have absolute confidence the fish respond to it, and not just on the troll. Getting them to stick is another matter. Something about the large tandem hooks on the stiff wire body just doesn't result in a solid hookup. My only hit on it yesterday was another whack on the slide as shortly after someone else had a troll hookup.

This 5" "baby squid" was my only hookup yesterday and I lost that fish just outside gaff range:

20210908_165752.jpg

That was a troll grab, but I lost one on Sunday the same way that was a retrieve hookup. That fly is a single hook but one that shouldn't be losing fish. Also, @cabezon had similar small whitish squid fly that got one fish yesterday.

Anyway I'll post some pics later, maybe in the fly forum asking for input on improved hook setups for these patterns. I'll be interested see what the whack-to-gaff ratio is on that Silvey's Squid.

Last edited:

JayB

Based on my relatively OK results over 3 days of very tough fishing (for most boats) - I'd fish that thing in a heartbeat. Not sure the exact count but I hooked 6-7 total, all on squid patterns, and had a few whacks that didn't stick. Baitfish patterns were working at times for others though. I just didn't fish them much.

Including the whacks I should have landed close to 10 fish this week. The really sucky part is a lost fish can result in a lost school. Especially troll hookups which is how the party is typically started. Any of those lost fish may have been fleeting opportunities to establish contact with a school of eager, fly-eating biters. I which case I'd be eating a bowl of ibuprofen for breakfast right now.

The Kraken is now retired - but not for lack of attention from the tuna. It got hit every day this week. Including slightly smaller versions, on all but one of my last 8 trips over 3 years. I have absolute confidence the fish respond to it, and not just on the troll. Getting them to stick is another matter. Something about the large tandem hooks on the stiff wire body just doesn't result in a solid hookup. My only hit on it yesterday was another whack on the slide as shortly after someone else had a troll hookup.

The baby squid was my only hookup yesterday and I lost that fish just outside gaff range. That was a troll grab, but I lost one on Sunday the same way that was a retrieve hookup. That fly is a single hook but one that shouldn't be losing fish. Also, @cabezon had similar small whitish squid fly that got one fish yesterday.

Anyway I'll post some pics later, maybe in the fly forum asking for input on improved hook setups for these patterns. I'll be interested see what the whack-to-gaff ratio is on that Silvey's Squid.

What size hook would you recommend? Think the one on there is a #2 or #4 octupus.

SilverFly

What size hook would you recommend? Think the one on there is a #2 or #4 octupus.
Small hooks aren't necessarily bad but if you were using an octopus type hook, I'd want something wider gapped and stronger. #2 at a minimum. Maybe hang a 1/0 on it a see how it looks/feels?

SilverFly

Thanks! Will go with the 1/0 and see how it goes.

I posted asking for advice on this in the Fly Tying forum. Check here to see what the WFF brain trust has to say:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts