Is it Really Flyfishing?

That's OK. The design concept of Skagit Tactics was gear fishing intended to look like fly fishing.
There’s room for all sorts of innovative ideas in this sport. Stretch that OPST just tad longer and you’ve got a shooting head. OPST could be an alternative to the spinning reel our friend was talking about. How different is it than a Skagit line on a Spey or switch rod? Having said that, I’ve tried OPST and didn’t like it. But it’s creative or at least evolutionary. Without useful innovations we would all be fishing dry flies only on English chalk streams or tossing single Spey casts with a 16.5’ rod.

Last edited:

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Another fun fact per WDFW regs. Anti snagging rule only allows a single hook, so you can't run two flies in fly only water that has anti snagging rules in place.

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
So around we went. He said casting with the fly rod is the essence of the sport. I countered with the example of trolling (bucktailing) with a fly rod. Is that flyfishing or just fishing with a fly rod? Well we both laughed and got me wondering, what really is flyfishing?

Bucktailing aint fly fishing, so it isn't much of a counter argument.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
Small jig with a casting bubble works almost as well as fly fishing for catching humpies!

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
Another fun fact per WDFW regs. Anti snagging rule only allows a single hook, so you can't run two flies in fly only water that has anti snagging rules in place.

I'm not sure that is correct. The rule that I believe you are referring to is the rule that prohibits the use of treble hooks, not multiple flies.

Hook and line angling only. Barbed or barbless hooks may be used, and a hook may be single-point, double, or treble, but not more than one line with up to three hooks per angler may be used.

Single-point barbless hooks are required in areas designated as "fly fishing only" or "selective gear rules."

wanderingrichard

Wow, how freaky...
I recently posed this question to a rock star member here: " Is it still considered a "fly line" caught fish if all i have on the reel is a leader, a section of T18-20 , and gel spun backing as the running line?"

Looks like it fits into this thread too

Rob Allen

Fly fishing has been around longer than any state wildlife agency therefore the state does not define the sport.

Travis Bille

Did you have fun?
My 9 y.o. daughter wanted to try to catch some sharks today. She got the spin rod and I threw a weight and some squid on a fly rod.
I don’t think was fly fishing, but I was outside and I was having fun with my daughter. Who cares. I just hope you had a good time

Proheli

In freshwater, the process is to choose your fly, the FLY you want to place in front of the fish, First. Then you can divide the size of the hook by 3 or 4 and get your leader size. Then you can select your line weigh, a line that will turn over your leader correctly. Now you can pick your rod materiel and length depending how far away you feel the fish is going to be. The rod propels the line and the unfurling line unfurls the leader and sets the fly down where the fly was supposed to go. I’m.not even sure that nymphing, because there is so much weight on the line that you are lobbing, Is fly fishing. The line appears to be unfurling, but that is academic as the process is overwhelmed by the weight of the rig. So now you are just conventional fishing even though all of your equipment, including flys, is fly rod gear. So it is in the casting, the unfurling or transitioning energy rollling out the line that will determine if it is fly fishing or not. The fly itself can be a insect in any form of its development, weighted or not. this is just the way it seems to me, and I didn’t say that I don’t nymph. :)

Last edited:

dflett68

WFF Premium
the debate is, as some author said, "as silly as a tophat" - but without a doubt the fly/bubble has been entry level to flyfishing for a lot of would-be flyfishers. including me.

wetswinger

Time: Sunset, Aug. 1969. Place: Mosquito Bay, Strawberry Lake, UT. We're using the old fly and bobber technique on the many fish rolling on the surface at this prolific lake. Using double renegades and Schofield specials we were getting a little action. Problem is, as usual the moss is thick and fouling our rigs as we reel in. No real fly fisher would fish a lake from the shore back in the day. It was the stream only. But off goes dad to the trunk of his car and, God forbid, he is getting out his fly rod. Oh the embarrassment, what if grandpa finds out? The spin fishermen are snickering. He pulls on his hip waders and in he goes. He floats out his favorite, the mighty Red Palmer and damn, he's got one on. He's got another! Snickering spin fishermen are headed to thier trunks. They are getting out thier fly rods. It's a fly rod orgy.... thats the first time I ever saw a fly rod on the beach. Little did I know it would become my passion..

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts