Whitlock on fishing wet flies

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
Came across this this morning, and it does a really good job of describing the method of fishing 3 fly rigs I've enjoyed this summer. I put it together by lots of reading and time on the water, yet it's all nicely digested here.
The 2x, 3x, 4x tangle less than smaller tippets. Use 5 turn uni-knots to add new dropper pieces above a knot. New droppers can be all 4X if fly size is appropriate. Hold or keeper the middle fly when moving stations.
At station/part 3 in the drift diagram I like my line to be more parallel (in line) to the current than across it as shown. Pause the rod tip to get the 3 flies in line with the current, release a little line to sink, then swing. Of course I spend a lot of time quartering down and swinging across as Dave describes doing himself, whatever the water calls for. With a heavy point fly you can tightline effectively when needed too. A heavy fly in the middle lets a streamer swim enticingly behind.
Whitlock on wet flies, Wotton method

Last edited:

Brute

WFF Premium
Came across this this morning, and it does a really good job of describing the method of fishing 3 fly rigs I've enjoyed this summer. I put it together by lots of reading and time on the water, yet it's all nicely digested here.
The 2x, 3x, 4x tangle less than smaller tippets. Use 5 turn uni-knots to add new dropper pieces above a knot. New droppers can be all 4X if fly size is appropriate. Hold or keeper the middle fly when moving stations.
At station/part 3 in the drift diagram I like my line to be more parallel (in line) to the current than across it as shown. Pause the rod tip to get the 3 flies in line with the current, release a little line to sink, then swing. Of course I spend a lot of time quartering down and swinging across as Dave describes doing himself, whatever the water calls for. With a heavy point fly you can tightline effectively when needed too. A heavy fly in the middle lets a streamer swim enticingly behind.
Whitlock on wet flies, Wotton method
This was a good read…I’m a big fan of swinging a small soft hackle behind a bead head bugger or tungsten stonefly, allowing the soft hackle to emerge toward to surface at the end of the swing…I did this a couple weeks ago on the Taylor & Gunnison in CO; while I did catch a few on the streamer, the majority of fish was on the 16 soft hackle, including a 20” bow. I’m heading to my favorite WA River tomorrow for a couple days, and I will primarily be using this setup…same place I’ve caught my largest cuttie at 24” & five lbs…on a 16 soft hackle.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts