Targeting Pinks In The Dosewallips Is Unlawful

NRC

WFF Premium
I'm just amazed that someone over the age of fourteen is that excited to catch a humpy. Like Jesus dude. What do you do when you catch a steelhead? Have an aneurysm?
You shouldn’t be going after this guy. Don’t you know targeting punks on the Dosewallips is unlawful?

dustinchromers

You shouldn’t be going after this guy. Don’t you know targeting punks on the Dosewallips is unlawful?

I'm not going after anyone. It's not my style. Frankly, I think the regulations should be way better written to be absolutely clear about this sort of thing. The first clue for these guys aside from the reading comprehension test failure is that there is not another soul on the river other than them and it's full of fish. Isn't that fishy?

I definitely do not like their style though or any other loud ass clowns trying to blow up fishing for their own fame. Yeah, that irritates me. It's not jealousy as I have a fine and dandy quiet life that's plenty satisfying. I don't like the crowds or the style of people they bring to the river though. I think fishing has been promoted enough. If you aren't already at it you missed the goods as that was more than a decade ago. So quit pimping it and just fish for enjoyment. I liken it to going out on a golf course and being a loud idiot who needs to be seen. Same with surfing. If this was surfing these guys would have been taught some serious manners by now. Nobody appreciates it that is actually there for the love of the game. Fishing is a quiet soulful pursuit. I hate to see it practiced by a crew of over indulged millennial carnival barkers.

I posted the video as a matter of record for the curious. Did I find it annoying and disgusting even if the river was open season? Yes, I find about everything about that guy offensive right down to his hair style. But that's not why I posted it. I figured we had all this talk and no video. So there it is.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

All speciesSat. before Memorial Day-Aug. 31Selective gear rules.
TroutSat. before Memorial Day-Aug. 31Statewide min. size/daily limit. Except: release cutthroat trout and wild rainbow trout.
Other game fishSat. before Memorial Day-Aug. 31Statewide min. size/daily limit.
SalmonNov. 1-Dec. 15Min. size 12". Daily limit 2. Release all salmon other than chum.
from Hwy. 101 Bridge to the Olympic National Park boundary about 3/4 mile downstream of falls CRC (734)
All speciesSelective gear rules.
TroutSat. before Memorial Day-Aug. 31Statewide min. size/daily limit. Except: release cutthroat trout and wild rainbow trout.

There are no emergency fishing rules currently in effect for Dosewallips River (Jefferson County). Please refer to the current Fishing in Washington Sport Fishing Rules Pamphlet.

the way I read this is that from the Saturday before Memorial day through August 31th the river is open to all species with selective gear rules..

if that is NOT WDFW's intent then they really screwed up writing these regulations.. According to what is written these guys did nothing wrong.

dustinchromers

All speciesSat. before Memorial Day-Aug. 31Selective gear rules.
SalmonNov. 1-Dec. 15Min. size 12". Daily limit 2. Release all salmon other than chum.
from Hwy. 101 Bridge to the Olympic National Park boundary about 3/4 mile downstream of falls CRC (734)
All speciesSelective gear rules.

There are no emergency fishing rules currently in effect for Dosewallips River (Jefferson County). Please refer to the current Fishing in Washington Sport Fishing Rules Pamphlet.

the way I read this is that from the Saturday before Memorial day through August 31th the river is open to all species with selective gear rules..

if that is NOT WDFW's intent then they really screwed up writing these regulations.. According to what is written these guys did nothing wrong.

I agree with that Rob . However if you read the standard rules it states you cannot fish for salmon unless expressly stated in the special rules. I think it's poorly executed and leaves much confusion. And frankly if I'm honest with myself and others I'd be about as irritated if they were blasting a river that little trafficked with fish anyway even if it was open. I don't like "look at me" loudmouths for better or worse.

Rob Allen

I agree with that Rob . However if you read the standard rules it states you cannot fish for salmon unless expressly stated in the special rules. I think it's poorly executed and leaves much confusion. And frankly if I'm honest with myself and others I'd be about as irritated if they were blasting a river that little trafficked with fish anyway even if it was open. I don't like "look at me" loudmouths for better or worse.
well then whoever writes the reg book does such a bad job that they should be immediately fires.
a third grader could do a better job.. hell even I could do a better job.

Here is my edit: Dec 16- October 31 closed to salmon fishing.

these regulations are negligently written and all tickets given to people for breaking regulations written like this should be dismissed. WDFW has more of an obligations to make their intentions clear than we have to follow their regulations.

johnnyboy

Part of me wishes that YouTube never existed. I hate the "bro culture" that exists in the fishing community today. Sadly, I've noticed that a lot of anglers my age have gotten caught up in this. I've never found anyone to fish with around my age that isn't irritating. I guess it goes beyond fishing too, as social media has ruined society in many aspects.

Jonathan Stumpf

I don't care how you fish
well then whoever writes the reg book does such a bad job that they should be immediately fires.

these regulations are negligently written and all tickets given to people for breaking regulations written like this should be dismissed. WDFW has more of an obligations to make their intentions clear than we have to follow their regulations.
There's no doubt the WDFW regs are sometimes frustrating to comprehend. And if this was any old angler, I'd maybe understand that argument. But given these guys are supposedly guides, and a higher profile media brand in the PNW, they should definitely be held to a higher standard IMO. And when blond ambition says on the video to always check the regs, then decides even though the regs say no harvest and some fellow anglers tell him on the river you can harvest fish, that tells me all I need to know.

"But officer, those guys said I could harvest this fish!"

speedbird49

No. I agree with about 80% of what you are saying but I'd befriend them before I would bead guides on the Klickitat.
Some of their educational videos are spot with the info and we'll presented.. The episodes where they took KVD coho fishing looked like lots if fun..
Having videos that discuss fundementals of fishing is immensely helpful and I appreciate the educational content they put out. Its really nice as a beginner to have a place where concepts like reading water, and how to make different setups are discussed. I entirely understand why people find their presentation style obnoxious but that in itself isn't a crime.

What is a crime is fishing a closed river, or the outrageous handling of wild steelhead I observed in one of their broodstock collection videos where Marlin for 5 seconds grabs a gorgeous wild buck by the gills. That was probably the greatest anti broodstock advertisement any "wild fish advocacy group" could ask for. Kind of hard to listen to them complain about sea lions and hatchery closures, and then treat fish like this, especially considering their massive outreach. Northwest Fishing Secrets is another fishing youtuber I enjoy. He's done questionable things such as harvest wild trout (albeit where legal) or handle fish poorly, but the thing I appreciate about him is that he responds to criticism extremely well, and often takes it.

CreekScrambler

Yeah the camera-equipped bro-brah situation is pretty rough, as it seems to have permeated essentially every pursuit that has even the slightest chance of being scenic.

This particular crew has momentary flashes of usefulness, but only in the sense that a magazine might share information in between sales pitches.

It essentially sucks that any ding dong with a camera rig and the willpower can succeed in expanding their scope until all public spaces are overrun with production crews.

dustinchromers

Again Rob I'm in complete agreement. The regulations for this state are written so poorly I don't see how much of it is even enforceable if somebody were to lawyer up. Writing and describing seasons and off limits species is easy and I'm not a professional technical writer. The format of the regs has been the same for years. They cling to it and it's substandard. I've fished and read many regs from many states. All were pretty much clear. Then there's Washington. I don't expect much from one of the most useless and mismanaged agencies on the face of the planet though. The list of things the wdfw is doing right is very very short. The list of faults and gross incompetence/negligence is very very long.

Jonathan Stumpf

I don't care how you fish
No. I agree with about 80% of what you are saying but I'd befriend them before I would bead guides on the Klickitat.
Some of their educational videos are spot with the info and we'll presented.. The episodes where they took KVD coho fishing looked
Sure, it looked fun. But the last thing the river they took KVD to needs is more of their clan showing up during coho seaon. The locals on that river can't stand those guys filming and pimping it out either.

Say what you want about the no river names rule, but the people that are part of any episode they film have friends and they have friends and so on. And people recognize spots and word gets out. And I'm sure with the attitude and ego they bring to the sport, keeping tight lips isn't something they can easily do.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts