Targeting Pinks In The Dosewallips Is Unlawful

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
I admit sometimes the guy that created Addicted Fishing rubs me the wrong way. But… sometimes grace is needed-

we children of the internet call this "white knighting". these guys dont need you to be a warrior for this posse, they already have the devil on there side.

being an "educator"/:fishing star" comes with a higher standard of responsibility and stewardship

a troubled family is a sad thing for sure, but in no way is it an excuse or a pass for the decisions and current content.

speedbird49

This thread is about AD flaunting fishing regulations in an unacceptable way in front of an audience of thousands. In that they are indefensible. As for their attitude in their videos, and "douche bag bro" culture, I don't really see how conversation about that is objective or useful. I don't see why you guys are upset by their (legal) content. I have never met any of these guys and can't say anything about their personalities. But frankly I would rather fish with them then about 50% of people I meet in fishing. Whether it is the charter guide out of Friday Harbor who screamed at me when I was 8 for staying on the deck while my dad brought in a fish, to the fly fisherman on reddit who called me all sorts of names because he didn't understand how to read the regs and couldn't understand that the Edmonds Fishing Pier is open year-round to Chinook angling. (We had some decent conversations before he used his misreading of the regs to lecture me, actually he brought me to this forum)

The complaints about video cameras in general however, seem to me to just be older generations crapping on things the new generation likes. I recently got my 12 year old cousin into fishing, but he doesn't get the chance to fish as often as he would like. Fishing videos on YouTube are the main thing that keep him engaged while he can't fish. There is a chance when he is older that he will look back at those videos he watched, and give some of those fisheries that were off limits to him as a child a try now. To be frank, I feel like a lot of people specifically do not want that to happen, because the unfortunate nature of this hobby is that the more people who fish the tougher fishing gets for everyone. The complaints in this thread about "hipsters ruining this hobby" (The ones that aren't clearly jokes) are particularly perplexing to me because I had no idea that people were only allowed to enjoy fishing for the exact same reasons that you do. It's really just gatekeeping.

I really do not understand how a video camera is hotspotting. If someone recognizes a spot in a video, they either already fished there, already knew the place and were likely to eventually see someone fishing there, or already planned to fish there. A lot of you complain about how they ruin the peace and quiet but have any of you actually ran into a fishing vlogger? I sure haven't. And I don't imagine they are much louder than some fishing groups.

In conclusion, shame on AD for having such a large following and not giving a rats ass about regulations, shame on AD for the one video clip of Marlin grabbing a Wild Steelhead by the gills. Other than that, it's really not for anyone to police what anyone else watches for fun, and someone having incompatible personalities with you does not necessarily mean they are bad people

Reactions: gt

Swimmy

This thread is about AD flaunting fishing regulations in an unacceptable way in front of an audience of thousands. In that they are indefensible.

Someone should reach out to these guys and get 'em a login. I'd like to see them go at it with some of the haters.

As for their attitude in their videos, and "douche bag bro" culture, I don't really see how conversation about that is objective or useful. I don't see why you guys are upset by their (legal) content.

Are you new to the internet? Folks love throwing shade, especially when they can do it anonymously behind a keyboard.

I enjoy mixing it up a bit but usually the loudest haters are unhappy people in real life and trying to compensate for something. My theory is they don't like seeing others have fun...kind of a misery loves company type thing.

I get this same attitude a bit and proud that I have a little fan club. Unfortunately the president (Quill) has been banned because he was a total beatdown. There are others that occasionally step up but I give 'em a little spankin' and tell them to go put their nose in the corner. It is entertaining.

I imagine these same haters would change their tune if one of those dudes were here to defend themselves.

Swimmy

I don't believe there is such a thing as the greater good but in terms of being positive I don't think the bro culture or us complaining about it is very positive.

If we were being positive out posts would be more like Paul's.

Trying to understand what you mean by this? Care to elaborate?

splett

Why is the Dose even open for fishing? The "trout" are resident and juvenile steelhead listed on the Endangered species list. Anybody here hating on Jarrod for harassing pinks and likes to fish for endangered list Trout on the canal tribs need to look in the mirror. Anybody remember Bill Herzog catching Shiaat for fly fishing these same waters? I subscribe to the channel and saw the vid and new exactly where they were and was a little upset. I agree with the poster that watching fishing vids is as boring as golf but I like to keep track of what people are blabbing about on the internet just like here. I kept my fingers quiet on the interwebs because pointing it out for all to expound on does more harm than the video. Thanks guys. Reminds me of the old zipperlip battles from long ago. Too much hate.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
I believe this is still illegal, it’s considered harassing the fish. When Lee spencer does this, he does it in season.
I for one would love to get ticketed for this! If the judge didn't just throw it out I would plead not guilty and demand a jury trial. Then I would like to see the state prove it's case that there were actually fish in the river where I was at that time, (remember the reason for the "closure") and that these alleged fish were in fact harassed by me while doing something they naturally do; checking out something in the water to see if it's edible.

mcswny

I for one would love to get ticketed for this! If the judge didn't just throw it out I would plead not guilty and demand a jury trial. Then I would like to see the state prove it's case that there were actually fish in the river where I was at that time, (remember the reason for the "closure") and that these alleged fish were in fact harassed by me while doing something they naturally do; checking out something in the water to see if it's edible.
Oh I meant no judgement by this comment, only stated it because I asked if it was ok to do once.
Not necessarily to watch fish rise, but to practice casting in closed waters.

Matt B

WFF Premium
I would like to contribute to the GoFundMe for your defense, provided the trial can be filmed. Let’s call Saul!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
Oh I meant no judgement by this comment, only stated it because I asked if it was ok to do once.
Not necessarily to watch fish rise, but to practice casting in closed waters.
No judgement implied. I would just like to see it happen. (Not asking for you guys to sic the law on me though...) :)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts