Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Coho Flies for the river

8K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  SilverFly 
#1 ·
Yea so...what's been working for you over the years?

#2 ·
Hands down my most successful Skagit coho fly has been a Knudson spider! Generally my preferred size would be a size 4 with a natural mallard flank feather for hackle with various colored bodies (simple chenille and if I get fancy a tinsel rib). Successful body colors in no particular order have been yellow, orange, black, dark olive and chartreuse. My box also has some spiders tied with gadwall hackles. As back up a few flash flies and baitfish patterns are in the box for change of pace presentations. Much like the pinks the Skagit fish are relatively good biters.

Curt

#14 ·
Hard to say for sure. I'd bet that a lot of the patterns listed (all great flies) that wouldn't be my first or third choice would probably catch fish in the rivers I know - fished by those who have confidence in them.

Although I have seen too many situations where color, size, profile and how it's fished can make all the difference. Like everything else - it depends.

#13 · (Edited)
From what I've seen fishing SWW and NW Oregon, it depends on the river, river conditions, where in the river, and the brand of coho in that river.

For snappy late-run coho that are pooled up I like to fish these lead-eye "mega-comets" stripped in a jiggy motion. Guessing they'd also swing pretty well if I found coho in the right water.

1631130808853.png

20171112_110807.jpg

And what Smalma said about spiders although the ones I fish are a more like a reversed krill. These scruffy things occasionally work for frogwater fish:

1631134390689.png

The other way I like to fish river coho is pocket water after a rain. They don't seem super-picky in the faster current but I like stuff like weighted polar shrimp, or chunkier krill, lifters, and egg patterns tied on tuna live-bait hooks (great short-shank profile, heavy, sticky sharp and unbreakable strong).

#17 · (Edited)
Spiders and rolled muddlers work great, floater or sink tip depending on the water and mood of the fish. I fish them in clear water, and typically fish jig flies in dirty water or later in the season. Variations of a starlight leech or simple woolly bugger are my primaries for jigs. Most jigs are of the egg-sucking variety.

Coho don't seem to analyze too much between fly patterns in my experience, it's more about the mood of the school you're fishing. That being said, my best days with flies (and gear) have always involved going to smaller or more muted patterns than "the norm" regardless of water conditions.

#18 ·
when it comes to snohomish coho I think I have tried them all. hate to say it but a small dick nite is the only thing I can remember working. other rivers would be an egg fly with pro cure. things change much as we get later into fall, then the egg sucking leech or marabou intruder is good. keep trying those blue colored fly’s the canuck guys use but with no luck.

#20 ·
when it comes to snohomish coho I think I have tried them all. hate to say it but a small dick nite is the only thing I can remember working. other rivers would be an egg fly with pro cure. things change much as we get later into fall, then the egg sucking leech or marabou intruder is good. keep trying those blue colored fly's the canuck guys use but with no luck.
Which Dick Nite?

#21 ·
Coho in the Snohomish proper can be a real trick to catch. Jiggy flies work well once the water gets a few big shots of rain, and you'll still get one here or there on a larger jig even in the clearest, warmest and lowest water. But the small and flashy stuff has been the best producer for me on Snohomish fish or anywhere you get coho that are moving rather than holding. Or just sparse flies in general. They're a goofy fish that often defies your expectations of an aggressive predatory critter.

#25 ·
Hands down my most successful Skagit coho fly has been a Knudson spider! Generally my preferred size would be a size 4 with a natural mallard flank feather for hackle with various colored bodies (simple chenille and if I get fancy a tinsel rib). Successful body colors in no particular order have been yellow, orange, black, dark olive and chartreuse. My box also has some spiders tied with gadwall hackles. As back up a few flash flies and baitfish patterns are in the box for change of pace presentations. Much like the pinks the Skagit fish are relatively good biters.

Curt
Do you swing the spider Curt or cast and strip it, or perhaps some combination?

#28 ·
wanative-
I fish the spider by stripping them varying the cadence to match the mood the fish.

Full disclosure - I do my coho fishing during the early fall and generally during low flows. When I target coho I do so on the lower rivers; often in the tidal sections. Having recently enter the river those early fish are explosive when hooked. Unfortunately like the pinks that stage doesn't last very long and once I start getting those that resist with "death rolls" I lose interest in targeting coho. If I were to target coho later in the season my fly selection would probably include more "flash fly" and jig typed flies.

Curt

#31 ·
Chris -
I use a simplified version of the original - no tail. I'm pretty fussy with the hackle feathers I use to achieve to breathing/pulsating of the hackle fibers that make the pattern so effective.. There are relatively few suitable flank feathers for a size 4 hook on a mature (late season) mallard drake (gadwall, widgeon., and greater scaup also used). To maximize the number of useable feathers (finer fibers) which typically have the best fibers on one side of the feather I learned to wind the material either towards or away from the tier. After stripping the feather (I prepare them in advance and sort by size) I tie it in by the tip and carefully wind the hackle forward with each turn carefully placed in front of the previous wrap and usually use 5 to 6 turns (more than what is usually recommended). When properly tied those fibers collapse on the strip and relax on the pause creating a nice elongated tear drop shape that "breathes" as retrieved.

curt

#33 ·
Wells spoons are the best if you can get them, Skagit Anglers & Holiday market sold them
Earl used hooks that are no longer available. He would heat the eye and straighten it out so it trailed properly. The hook was always dark at the part he heated. The last time I saw some at Holiday whoever was making them was using standard turned eye hooks. I've got brass and wire coming and am looking for an appropriate hook to use. I still have a few of Earl's to use for reference and my friend has a whole box of 'em.

#39 ·
I absolutely know dat. The spey rod does it best of all and a 15' type six gets it down but not dragging the bottom. Legend has it that Dick Nite is the rip off commercial version of what Earl use to make. I'll post up a picture of one and talk a little more about the history of them as I know it. Might take a couple days tho...
how thick is the brass shim stock on the originals ?

#41 ·
From what I've seen fishing SWW and NW Oregon, it depends on the river, river conditions, where in the river, and the brand of coho in that river.

For snappy late-run coho that are pooled up I like to fish these lead-eye "mega-comets" stripped in a jiggy motion. Guessing they'd also swing pretty well if I found coho in the right water.

View attachment 294658

View attachment 294666

And what Smalma said about spiders although the ones I fish are a more like a reversed krill. These scruffy things occasionally work for frogwater fish:

View attachment 294665

The other way I like to fish river coho is pocket water after a rain. They don't seem super-picky in the faster current but I like stuff like weighted polar shrimp, or chunkier krill, lifters, and egg patterns tied on tuna live-bait hooks (great short-shank profile, heavy, sticky sharp and unbreakable strong).
Is that just holo flash on the comet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.